Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business Platinum (USA) Dell benefit.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:33 pm

I've had AMEX Biz Plat the last 2 years. My annual fee just posted on 12/24, going up from $450 to $595, so I'm planning to cancel the card this month. Before canceling, I'd like to take advantage of the $100 Dell credit as well as the $200 airline credit for 2020.

But if I make the purchases and get the credits this week and then cancel the card 2 weeks later to avoid paying the AF, am I risking clawbacks of these credits, or shutdowns of my other AMEX cards, or should I be safe if I've had it open and paid AF the past 2 years?

I know it's not safe to play games with AMEX sign-up bonuses, but I don't see anything in the T&C that would be an issue for using these credits. But considering that they clawed back in November the $9 I made months earlier by stacking the credit with the 10% offer, I'm nervous about their new aggression and don't want to get in trouble with them. Any advice or DP?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:18 pm

Question:

On January 2nd I purchased something from Dell for $130 with my Business Platinum card

At checkout, it asked me if I wanted to use some of my points, and since I am trying to close my account I used the remaining few points for ~$5 off. So in the end I paid like $125 on the card and like 500 points

Now the weird part:

- The ~$130 charge was pending for several days
- Then, the $5 "pay with points credit showed up"
- Now, for the last 48 hours (5 days since purchase), there is zero sign of the dell purchase. It's not pending, it's not anywhere. But the $5 credit is still there. In other words, the only hint of Dell anything anywhere on my statement is a $5 credit and nothing else.

What's going on? I'm guessing maybe I overcomplicated by paying with points, so there is some sort of manual review to post the payment and make the credit? Or something?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by dval44
Question:

On January 2nd I purchased something from Dell for $130 with my Business Platinum card

At checkout, it asked me if I wanted to use some of my points, and since I am trying to close my account I used the remaining few points for ~$5 off. So in the end I paid like $125 on the card and like 500 points

Now the weird part:

- The ~$130 charge was pending for several days
- Then, the $5 "pay with points credit showed up"
- Now, for the last 48 hours (5 days since purchase), there is zero sign of the dell purchase. It's not pending, it's not anywhere. But the $5 credit is still there. In other words, the only hint of Dell anything anywhere on my statement is a $5 credit and nothing else.

What's going on? I'm guessing maybe I overcomplicated by paying with points, so there is some sort of manual review to post the payment and make the credit? Or something?
Chatting with Amex help now and truly a bizarre chat:

ME: $130 Dell charge went from pending to disappearing. The item has been shipped. WTH?
CS: The charge has been dropped off from the account. The merchant did not submit a claim for this charge.
ME: Uhh..They shipped me an item, why would they "drop" a charge?
CS: They did not drop the charge. The charged has been dropped off. If the merchant submits a claim for the charge, it will show up on your account.
ME: So they can charge me whenever? Like tomorrow or Sunday or next year?
CS: "The merchant can claim a charge within 8 days, as the charge has been dropped it shall not appear."

*to myself: What the *** is even happening? The merchant can "claim" a charge but it "shall not appear?"
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traveler 718
... if I make the purchases and get the credits this week and then cancel the card 2 weeks later to avoid paying the AF, am I risking clawbacks of these credits, or shutdowns of my other AMEX cards, or should I be safe if I've had it open and paid AF the past 2 years?
There's a recent report here of AmEx clawing back the Saks benefit from a long closed Platinum card. OTOH one can argue that fear of aggressive accounting should not keep you from using all the card's benefits.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:09 am

i am thinking about buying an xbox live egift card since my AF is coming up this month. any DPs of it working successfully?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by david12795
i am thinking about buying an xbox live egift card since my AF is coming up this month. any DPs of it working successfully?
Scroll back just a few posts: CLICK
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by mia
Scroll back just a few posts: CLICK

im an idiot. thanks.

has anyone gotten their order cancelled for the $100 dollar XBL card?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:16 am

im an idiot. thanks.

has anyone gotten their order cancelled for the $100 dollar XBL card?

No cancellation yet, but not fulfilled either—ordered a over 24 hrs ago.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by op487062
No cancellation yet, but not fulfilled either—ordered a over 24 hrs ago.

found more information on reddit - apparently if you order it via phone, lesser chance of it being canceled.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:06 pm

if anyone is curious, i was able to get my XBL live code the day after order. order was done via phone.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:11 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Your concern can be eliminated if you make a replacement purchase before or at the same time as returning the original purchase.
Purchased an item that was defective right before EOY. Now that I'm in a new period, will I have $200 in Dell credit? Or should I purchase replacement item immediately.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Purchased an item that was defective right before EOY. Now that I'm in a new period, will I have $200 in Dell credit? Or should I purchase replacement item immediately.
You have a fresh new allowance of $100 now. If you purchase from Dell now, you should get reimbursed up to that amount. There's a small chance that AmEx will mistake your last year's return for this year.

I suggest to just keep good records. If you should get a false clawback, you can then easily resolve the confusion with a phone agent.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by MaxVO
You have a fresh new allowance of $100 now. If you purchase from Dell now, you should get reimbursed up to that amount. There's a small chance that AmEx will mistake your last year's return for this year.

I suggest to just keep good records. If you should get a false clawback, you can then easily resolve the confusion with a phone agent.
Main issue is I am returning the item now, so dell will refund to AMEX in January. Not sure if AMEX will then clawback the credit from December, or whether I'll be able to get another $100 added back in.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:32 pm

Thanks!

if anyone is curious, i was able to get my XBL live code the day after order. order was done via phone.
I made XBL purchase over the phone in Dec and it worked, but every time I tried making the purchase online it was cancelled. Thanks for the 2020 DP
david12795 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
FYI - I've often had Dell charges go from pending to disappear only to reappear in a week or two. Some weird system they have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.