Business Platinum (USA) Dell benefit.

Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Using the Dell credit is so painful. I tried to buy a lens...
Are you really ordering photography equipment from Dell, and expecting a pleasant experience? It sounds like you can still cancel that mistake and stop the pain. They got other useful stuff for $100, that will ship promptly.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Are you really ordering photography equipment from Dell, and expecting a pleasant experience? It sounds like you can still cancel that mistake and stop the pain. They got other useful stuff for $100, that will ship promptly.
I think most (maybe all?) people are using their credit not buying computers from Dell. I didn't see anything I liked around $100. But they had camera stuff, and at the same price as other vendors.
I guess Dell doesn't actually stock it and it is shipped from another vendor?

Anyway, Dell says it is now getting shipped, I guess calling in and asking where my order was helped that process. Feels even more like a NY online electronics company.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Their "order verification" system is a joke. Lots of random cancelled orders, phone CSRs that can't help, etc. Really not worth chasing down $100 grrr
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Odd - easy as possible for me. I already have a dell laptop. Used the $100 credit to buy a backup battery for the laptop I was going to buy anyway. Got the credit. Net cost after the 10% and credit was about $12.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by HappyTravelingConsultant
Odd - easy as possible for me. I already have a dell laptop. Used the $100 credit to buy a backup battery for the laptop I was going to buy anyway. Got the credit. Net cost after the 10% and credit was about $12.
Odds are the vast majority of people do NOT have a dell laptop
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Odds are the vast majority of people do NOT have a dell laptop
I think you missed my point - yes, I got value because I have a new laptop and there was Dell stuff I was going to order in any event.

However, the bulk of the complaints I saw here weren't related to finding things of value. Rather, the vast majority of the issues appeared to be with getting the order completed and processing correctly. Regardless of the item, my order went extraordinarily smoothly.

And I've already identified about $100 worth of accessories I'm going to get in a few weeks with the remaining $100 - mostly for my kids that want portable USB power banks. Dell has a bunch of those on their website and the prices are the same as on Amazon. Was going to get them anyway, so again, I'll get value out of ordering them since I was going to order them anyway.

Of course, YMMV. I wouldn't go on the Dell website to buy things I wasn't going to get anyway. I may see dramatically less value in the future, but at least for this year and for me personally, the Dell credit of $200 actually has a legitimate value of $200. The poster above that noted they were buying cables but at a price 2x monoprice's price might realize only $100, for example.

Last edited by Happy Traveling Consultant; Jun 21, 2019 at 4:41 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

I spent my Dell allowance to buy 2 power backup units with surge protection. Reasonably happy with that choice, as we live in an area with frequent lightning strikes.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:34 am

I think you missed my point - yes, I got value because I have a new laptop and there was Dell stuff I was going to order in any event.

However, the bulk of the complaints I saw here weren't related to finding things of value. Rather, the vast majority of the issues appeared to be with getting the order completed and processing correctly. Regardless of the item, my order went extraordinarily smoothly.

And I've already identified about $100 worth of accessories I'm going to get in a few weeks with the remaining $100 - mostly for my kids that want portable USB power banks. Dell has a bunch of those on their website and the prices are the same as on Amazon. Was going to get them anyway, so again, I'll get value out of ordering them since I was going to order them anyway.

Of course, YMMV. I wouldn't go on the Dell website to buy things I wasn't going to get anyway. I may see dramatically less value in the future, but at least for this year and for me personally, the Dell credit of $200 actually has a legitimate value of $200. The poster above that noted they were buying cables but at a price 2x monoprice's price might realize only $100, for example.
You have never actually ordered any accessories then. You have only ordered Dell products. So you cannot comment on the ease of ordering.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
You have never actually ordered any accessories then. You have only ordered Dell products. So you cannot comment on the ease of ordering.
I have ordered many Dell accessories and never had a problem. I'm not saying you haven't had a problem, but it's not what I've experienced and given the breadth of accessories they sell, I don't find it any trouble at all to get value from the credit. In fact, I often find many popular accessories that I'm interested are the same price from Dell as from Amazon. Honestly, I'm kinda confounded that some don't feel they can get value from this credit.

Regards
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
I have ordered many Dell accessories and never had a problem. I'm not saying you haven't had a problem, but it's not what I've experienced and given the breadth of accessories they sell, I don't find it any trouble at all to get value from the credit. In fact, I often find many popular accessories that I'm interested are the same price from Dell as from Amazon. Honestly, I'm kinda confounded that some don't feel they can get value from this credit.

Regards
There is quite a bit of a difference from Dell and Amazon. Amazon often ships things themselves, even though the seller is different. Dell, at least from my camera lens purchase, doesn't actually stock many items they sell, and they depend on the vendor. And it seems they don't have much in terms of communication. After I called Dell about my item never shipping after 2 weeks, after I got an email saying it would be delayed and on the website I found it said shipping right away, the rep put in a "case" and it shipped out right away.
The problem is you have no idea what Dell stocks and what they don't, cause they don't say on their website.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:57 am

There is quite a bit of a difference from Dell and Amazon. Amazon often ships things themselves, even though the seller is different. Dell, at least from my camera lens purchase, doesn't actually stock many items they sell, and they depend on the vendor. And it seems they don't have much in terms of communication. After I called Dell about my item never shipping after 2 weeks, after I got an email saying it would be delayed and on the website I found it said shipping right away, the rep put in a "case" and it shipped out right away.
The problem is you have no idea what Dell stocks and what they don't, cause they don't say on their website.
First, again, I didn't say that you didn't experience a problem. However, have you ordered more that one accessory from Dell or is this your only data point? As I said, I've ordered many and not experienced a problem.

Furthermore, I'm not saying there isn't a difference between Dell and Amazon, not saying that at all, but for the record, we don't have a $200 a year credit with Amazon, do we?

I'm not saying I love this benefit, I'd have prefered they not raised the annual fee on this card and just left well enough alone (and likely I won't renew next year), but honestly, this credit is a heck of a lot easier for me to get value from than the airline credit...

Regards
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:00 pm

Good point - but I did order a third party product. It came more quickly than the Dell product and the process was painless. I understand some people have had issues. But many people have not. As the old saying goes, an unhappy customer tells 10 people, a satisfied person tells one. We just have an exponentially easier platform to share negative experiences.

I will happily utilize the credit - the fewer of us that do, the more likely it is to be retained in the future!
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
I'm not saying I love this benefit, I'd have prefered they not raised the annual fee on this card and just left well enough alone (and likely I won't renew next year), but honestly, this credit is a heck of a lot easier for me to get value from than the airline credit...

Regards
Just don't choose AA, seems other airlines it still isn't hard to get your credit in some cash equivalent.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:04 pm

Good point - but I did order a third party product. It came more quickly than the Dell product and the process was painless. I understand some people have had issues. But many people have not. As the old saying goes, an unhappy customer tells 10 people, a satisfied person tells one. We just have an exponentially easier platform to share negative experiences.

I will happily utilize the credit - the fewer of us that do, the more likely it is to be retained in the future!
I wonder how many use the Saks' credit.

I think an updated version of your saying: an unhappy customer posts it online. A satisfied person tells someone.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:35 am

I wonder how many use the Saks' credit.
My wife definitely uses that. She has found certain cosmetic items that she buys anyhow and which (to my surprise) are priced similarly to what she pays elsewhere, so again, that particular credit is a slam dunk for us.

Regards
GTITAN likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.