Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
I was thinking of dumping my PRG and getting the new Savor instead.

Why? I find the PRG to be a pain to use. The airline thing requires jumping through hoops, and redemption isnt that great either. Savor is doing a 4x dining with simple cash back.

However, these changes might keep me on board for another year. The 4x would match Savor, and I would probably get about $50 back from the $10 food thing. I hate how they make you jump through hoops to get the value, but whatever.

If the Prestige doesnt get an improvement next month, then thats the one I think Ill end up dumping
Why not Uber? You'll get 4% on dining, and $50 for subscription services, if you spend $5k per year. No AF, compared to $95 on Savor.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
Why not Uber? You'll get 4% on dining, and $50 for subscription services, if you spend $5k per year. No AF, compared to $95 on Savor.
I would feel dirty having an Uber product in my wallet. But youre right, the terms are very good.

My plan would be to try the Savor for a year and then when the fee hits, downgrade to the free version. But Im going to wait a week to see how these and the Prestige rumors play out before making any moves.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
The rumored/proposed changes to the American Express (Premier Rewards) Gold Card really make me interested. I like having the AMEX Platinum card now, however if a Gold Card comes with 4x MR points on dining and groceries spend, I would seriously consider switching. It is doubtful that I would keep both Platinum and the new Gold. The AMEX Plat perks are nice, however I won't likely be taking advantage of some perks in the future as I once did. I am looking forward to seeing what comes next.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: DL GM
I was *this* close to canceling my PRG not long ago but figured I would just triple dip the airline credit for 1 AF and call it good. I never put any spend on my PRG since I have an EveryDay for groceries and BBP for everything else. But at 4x for grocery and 4x for dining, all of a sudden my PRG is moving to the front of my wallet. The $10/month dining credit is pretty stupid, but luckily enough a Shake Shack is being built 2 minutes from my house and as someone who has flown to NYC solely to eat at Shake Shack and then come home at least once in his life, I'll spend every penny of that credit.

Honestly, between Platinum for airfare, Gold for grocery and dining and BBP/ED (0% APR for 15 months is a nice way to float cash for a bit), Amex has all I could ever need. Since I'm fully invested in MR, I have even less reason to go to Chase. Now I wonder if I'll be able to request a new metal card to replace this hideous plastic gold card. Also wonder what, if any, benefits authorized users will get in this new card.

Amex, you're doing beautifully.
JHake10 and hi55us like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:09 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

With the changes of the PRG, what do we expect the changes about BGR? You think it will add 3x on dining too since that is a big part of business spending. No $10/month on food delivery for sure.

It has a $175 AF, similar to PRG. Not worth since the rewards are not much higher than the BBP.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
When Amex bumped up earnings on Platinum to 5x for airlines, literally overnight, more than 50% of my spending shifted to various Amex products. Then came the Small Business Plus, followed by the awesome two Hilton cards and now I am always taking out an Amex card and less and less Chase of Barclays. The revamped PRG is absolutely fantastic, at least for my preferences. I just signed up for one rather than wait another week as I like to have a plastic card in my wallet than a metal card.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by jediwho
When Amex bumped up earnings on Platinum to 5x for airlines, literally overnight, more than 50% of my spending shifted to various Amex products. Then came the Small Business Plus, followed by the awesome two Hilton cards and now I am always taking out an Amex card and less and less Chase of Barclays. The revamped PRG is absolutely fantastic, at least for my preferences. I just signed up for one rather than wait another week as I like to have a plastic card in my wallet than a metal card.
i got a 50k point offer in incognito mode so picked up the PRG as well. 40% of my platinum spend is at restaurants so this will be a nice way to pick up some extra points. great product refresh!
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by conde
The rumored/proposed changes to the American Express (Premier Rewards) Gold Card really make me interested. I like having the AMEX Platinum card now, however if a Gold Card comes with 4x MR points on dining and groceries spend, I would seriously consider switching. It is doubtful that I would keep both Platinum and the new Gold. The AMEX Plat perks are nice, however I won't likely be taking advantage of some perks in the future as I once did. I am looking forward to seeing what comes next.
Add in contactless by default according to the leaked images of the PRG and PRRG.

If I were approved for this card, I would mostly use it for Delta (first class) or Jet Blue transfers. I wish JetBlue transfers were 1:1 and Delta 2:1 due to the terrible miles value.

Last edited by mikesyr18; Sep 26, 2018 at 6:19 am
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by jediwho
When Amex bumped up earnings on Platinum to 5x for airlines, literally overnight, more than 50% of my spending shifted to various Amex products.
Why would one category bump shift more than 50% of your spending. Is it that you spend that much on airfare?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Why would one category bump shift more than 50% of your spending. Is it that you spend that much on airfare?
Since they said it bumped up their spend on various Amex's, I'm guessing it just got them more interested in accumulating MR points and using various Amex cards to maximize MR point earning rate.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:56 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Originally Posted by knopfler
Since they said it bumped up their spend on various Amex's, I'm guessing it just got them more interested in accumulating MR points and using various Amex cards to maximize MR point earning rate.
Those are human decisions, not computer decisions. Computers are more rational, optimal and scientific.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by knopfler
That would make sense. It's also possible OP spends quite a bit on airfare. I'm in that boat, with airfare making up something like 40% of my cc spend this year.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
So I have been seeing a pre-approval on my account for this card for a while on my amex login. Given the new benefits, it seems like a no brainer however, should i use that preapproval now or should I wait for the new card to be release. Do we think that all the new stuff will actually apply to this card or will it be a whole new product?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by miadukes
So I have been seeing a pre-approval on my account for this card for a while on my amex login. Given the new benefits, it seems like a no brainer however, should i use that preapproval now or should I wait for the new card to be release. Do we think that all the new stuff will actually apply to this card or will it be a whole new product?
It's billed as a product refresh/revamp, not a new product. If you apply now, you may be able to pull a 50,000 MR points sign-up bonus; if you wait, the offer on the "new" card is purported to be 25,000 MR points.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
It's billed as a product refresh/revamp, not a new product. If you apply now, you may be able to pull a 50,000 MR points sign-up bonus; if you wait, the offer on the "new" card is purported to be 25,000 MR points.
Ok thanks. Yes I have been trying to get the 50k but can't seem to get it to pop up. Im going to try on my work browser today and see if i have any luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.