Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by PHLondoner
As an urban millenial who probably puts at least $75/month toward Grubhub/Uber Eats (and, yes, Shakeshack) and dines (or drinks) out 5-6 nights/ week it's hard not to see these cards being geared for people like me.

Basically for me, with things like the Platinum uber credit and this potential $10 Grubhub/Shakeshack credit - it's money that I'm going to spend anyways going right back into my pocket. Is it small potatoes? Sure, but over the course of the year it certainly justifies the AF for me. I just hope the Rittenhouse Square ShakeShack participates!
Haha yeah...the uber credit on the Plat is always used within a couple of days of the new month...easily.

I expect the same for the food benefit
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RedSun
Please do not get fooled by the "credit". To get the "credit", you'll have to stay at the resort.
Originally Posted by applesauce
Can we stop calling it a $120 "dining credit"?

It's $10/mo at GrubHub. It basically offsets the delivery fee and a little bit of the food markup, but it's of no value beyond that, particularly with the way they string it out.
The whining around here sure gets tiresome.

I just used the Aspire $250 resort credit at HHV, where I typically stay at least once per year. Cut the cost of my stay by 60%. And my favorite pizza place I can order take-out using Grub Hub. I'll get the full $120 out of that benefit as well.

So these benefits are both 100% value for me. Doubt I'm the only one.

If these cards don't work for you, don't get them.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:57 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Kacee
The whining around here sure gets tiresome.

I just used the Aspire $250 resort credit at HHV, where I typically stay at least once per year. Cut the cost of my stay by 60%. And my favorite pizza place I can order take-out using Grub Hub. I'll get the full $120 out of that benefit as well.

So these benefits are both 100% value for me. Doubt I'm the only one.

If these cards don't work for you, don't get them.
If you get it, sure enjoy it. You do not need to say this loud. It gets tiresome too.

This is the public forum, we can all express our opinions. Right or wrong, to me, or to you. We are all different. Please hold some respect to other members.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
From Doctor of Credit:

- Name will be changed to ‘American Express Gold Card’

- Card will be available in two different colors, Gold & Rose Gold. Both will be metal

- Sign up bonus will be 25,000 points after $2,000 in spend plus 20% back as a statement credit on purchases at U.S. Restaurants up to $100 back

- Annual fee will remain the same

Other previously rumored benefits are accurate:

$120 dining credit. This is a $10 monthly credit that can be used at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Shake Shack.

Card will earn 4x points at U.S. Restaurants

Card will earn 4x points at U.S. supermarkets, up to $25,000 in spend per calendar year

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/addit...nual-fee-more/
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
From Doctor of Credit:

- Name will be changed to ‘American Express Gold Card’

- Card will be available in two different colors, Gold & Rose Gold. Both will be metal

- Sign up bonus will be 25,000 points after $2,000 in spend plus 20% back as a statement credit on purchases at U.S. Restaurants up to $100 back

- Annual fee will remain the same

Other previously rumored benefits are accurate:

$120 dining credit. This is a $10 monthly credit that can be used at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Shake Shack.

Card will earn 4x points at U.S. Restaurants

Card will earn 4x points at U.S. supermarkets, up to $25,000 in spend per calendar year

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/addit...nual-fee-more/
Wonder if they will issue new metal cards to existing holders...the current Gold card is semi-embarrassing to use with all the metal in the market (even the Chase Amazon card is metal at this point)
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by lax01
Wonder if they will issue new metal cards to existing holders...the current Gold card is semi-embarrassing to use with all the metal in the market (even the Chase Amazon card is metal at this point)
You can probably request one. That's why they ran out of the metal plat. There was a surge of New metal cards requests.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:22 pm

So if you sign up for this card there is no huge point bonus or spending requirement just these bonuses (4x certain restaurant etc) that come from using the card?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Caribgrl
So if you sign up for this card there is no huge point bonus or spending requirement just these bonuses (4x certain restaurant etc) that come from using the card?
Just finally got to the end of this and found it...Thanks Doc.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:37 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Caribgrl
No one knows until the refreshed card is officially announced, but it appears there will be an offer:

From Doctor of Credit:....
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Finally! I can have a credit card that matches all the other Rose Gold colored things I have at home
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by msp3
Finally! I can have a credit card that matches all the other Rose Gold colored things I have at home
Yup. Gonna look tres chic when your credit card matches those Rose Gold skinny jeans of yours.
msp3 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
If you get it, sure enjoy it. You do not need to say this loud. It gets tiresome too.

This is the public forum, we can all express our opinions. Right or wrong, to me, or to you. We are all different. Please hold some respect to other members.
Now if you really mean these, why would you suggest that anyone who values the "credits" are, and I quote, "fooled" by Amex? Just a few posts above, you simply disrespected another member for saying the $250 resort credit justifies part of the $450 Aspire annual fee. With this logic, you might as well say the $200 airline credit worth nothing, too, because "to get the credit, you'll have to fly on a plane". I do want to remind you that there legitimately are people who 1) have a need to stay at resorts during vacations, 2) are paying for that resort room anyways (including resort fees and high-price food and drinks, which you seemed to dislike), 3) see the credit as money already out of pocket coming back.

Surely Amex is not dumb. Because for every savvy user that takes full advantage of these benefits, there's one user who doesn't and still pays the annual fee. THIS is how Amex makes money. If you're trying to remind people to think critically about such benefits, that is definitely appreciated. If you use GrubHub already, then this $120 dining credit is worth $120 to you; if you don't order delivery food, then it's of zero value to you. Easy math. That would be respectful. But merely suggesting that valuing these credits equals being fooled by Amex is not in line with your statement above.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:05 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by ezak
Surely Amex is not dumb. Because for every savvy user that takes full advantage of these benefits, there's one user who doesn't and still pays the annual fee. THIS is how Amex makes money. If you're trying to remind people to think critically about such benefits, that is definitely appreciated. If you use GrubHub already, then this $120 dining credit is worth $120 to you; if you don't order delivery food, then it's of zero value to you.
Nice analysis, very scientific. Marketing was one of my concentrations. I know how the marketing companies do all the promotions.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:45 pm

No idea why people keep saying they'll drop the CSR for this card. I've seen these comment in so many other forums. I still think CSR is still superior to Amex rumored card. At least you can use the UR points at 1.5 rate for any travel especially booking hotels vs Amex. Chase doesn't charge any tax fees when transferring to partners. I don't need to go details on CSR travel insurance. I've had Amex since 93 and I think it's a positive thing that Amex is upgrading it's PRG card. I'll be using the supermarket charges on this card but will still use CSR at restaurants. I guess each person has different needs.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by trikotret
No idea why people keep saying they'll drop the CSR for this card. I've seen these comment in so many other forums. I still think CSR is still superior to Amex rumored card. At least you can use the UR points at 1.5 rate for any travel especially booking hotels vs Amex. Chase doesn't charge any tax fees when transferring to partners. I don't need to go details on CSR travel insurance. I've had Amex since 93 and I think it's a positive thing that Amex is upgrading it's PRG card. I'll be using the supermarket charges on this card but will still use CSR at restaurants. I guess each person has different needs.
Correct, I wouldn’t drop the CSR, but if you are already spending $10+/mo on Seamless/Grubhub then this card becomes a keeper even if it’s just for grocery and Seamless spend.

What it does do is make the CSR less appealing as I prefer 4x MR vs 3x UR. Now I need to decide if spending $150ish/yr in AF on the CSR is worth it when I’m only going to be putting “travel” spend on it. I will again need to review my yearly spend. Even now I am doing my best to maximize AMEX hotel offers and I don’t charge many hotels to my CSR anymore. It has become my eating out/rental car/EZpass/parking meter credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.