Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:30 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by trikotret
Or they should just make a general $10 dining credit.
I do not expect this, but I could see other national chains signing on to the benefit to increase awareness of their pick-up/delivery options.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ebusch
Does anyone know if the $10 dining credit will apply to the new Grubhub+ and Seamless+ services? They are both now offering a $9.99 a month subscription for unlimited free deliveries and 10% cashback on orders of $12 or more.
Now that I'm using GrubHub more frequently (thanks, China!), I've adopted this tactic for using my monthly dining credit. I'll accrue more than $10/month in cost avoidance by doing so.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Now that I'm using GrubHub more frequently (thanks, China!), I've adopted this tactic for using my monthly dining credit. I'll accrue more than $10/month in cost avoidance by doing so.
In some ways, it almost is like the credit hat CSR holders get for Door Dash it seems.

Safe Travels
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:06 am

When people talk about the gold dining credit, why does nobody mention boxed.com? It's super easy, they used to have paper products...
Just spend 50 bucks and free shipping. Back when things were normal one month we would order some baby wipes and diapers get free shipping and 10 bucks off. Next month get some TP and paper towels. They used to do a ton of offers like 15 off 100 or 30 off 150, as well as be on portals and there was an amexoffer of 3x for like 3 months. Sadly those are gone now, but it's suoer easy to use the dining credit even in rural places where I live where there is NO GrubHub, Uber etc. Yes these places exist.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 9:11 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Originally Posted by geoff325
When people talk about the gold dining credit, why does nobody mention boxed.com?
There was some discussion last September, but it does not seem to have resonated.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by mia
There was some discussion last September, but it does not seem to have resonated.
Yeah I see it briefly mentioned on some blogs but not much. Ends up being way easier to use credits. That was one of the problems with platinum, there was no alternative to the Uber credit. Literally my state does not have Uber...
Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:39 pm
mia

Yeah I see it briefly mentioned on some blogs ....
I meant that Boxed.com was discussed in this thread.

The Uber credit is from Uber, not from American Express. I don't think Uber is interested in paying for an alternative.
Old May 17, 2020, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
First monthly charge just hit and I can confirm that GrubHub+ ($9.99 + tax per month) charges are reimbursed with the monthly AMEX Gold dining credit.
GTITAN likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 9:01 pm

When people talk about the gold dining credit, why does nobody mention boxed.com? It's super easy, they used to have paper products...
Just spend 50 bucks and free shipping. Back when things were normal one month we would order some baby wipes and diapers get free shipping and 10 bucks off. Next month get some TP and paper towels. They used to do a ton of offers like 15 off 100 or 30 off 150, as well as be on portals and there was an amexoffer of 3x for like 3 months. Sadly those are gone now, but it's suoer easy to use the dining credit even in rural places where I live where there is NO GrubHub, Uber etc. Yes these places exist.
Thanks for bringing this up....

I really dont like Grubhub, and the boxed website seems to have some stuff I would buy anyway

Edit: I take that back. Spent some time on the site, and they barely have anything. I struggled to get to $36, and if you dont reach $50, its a $7 delivery fee which wipes out any savings from the offer.

On top of that, I did some quick comparisons with walmart.com, and everything is $2 or so more expensive, AND walmart does free shipping at $35.

Thanks but no thanks Amex.

Last edited by jamesinclair; May 18, 2020 at 9:35 pm
Old May 19, 2020, 6:27 am

Doing a casual browse of Boxed, they do not have a huge selection of things I'd normally want, but they have some stuff. But with the order minimum, it's not a very attractive deal to me unless I was wanting to give up Costco. Most wholesale "clubs" (I realize Boxed does not require membership) have pretty low selection of certain things and Boxed is no exception. Basically not much reason to deal with them over going to Costco which I already do.

I totally understand why Amex makes the credits difficult to use, but at some point, it gets old. I understand not doing a totally general dining credit but I assumed when they relaunched Gold they'd be slowly adding more partners to the credit. They do not seem to be doing so, for whatever reason. Grubhub and Uber Eats both cost more than ordering directly most of the time. People love their Cheesecake Factory and I must say I don't get it. I enjoy cheesecake, but I think their food otherwise is extremely average and way overpriced.
Old May 19, 2020, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by kdm31091
Doing a casual browse of Boxed, they do not have a huge selection of things I'd normally want, but they have some stuff. But with the order minimum, it's not a very attractive deal to me unless I was wanting to give up Costco. Most wholesale "clubs" (I realize Boxed does not require membership) have pretty low selection of certain things and Boxed is no exception. Basically not much reason to deal with them over going to Costco which I already do.

I totally understand why Amex makes the credits difficult to use, but at some point, it gets old. I understand not doing a totally general dining credit but I assumed when they relaunched Gold they'd be slowly adding more partners to the credit. They do not seem to be doing so, for whatever reason. Grubhub and Uber Eats both cost more than ordering directly most of the time. People love their Cheesecake Factory and I must say I don't get it. I enjoy cheesecake, but I think their food otherwise is extremely average and way overpriced.

I agree. Last month I didn't bother using my $10 credit towards GrubHub. Everytime I look for something to order, I would notice the prices are too inflated. It's cheaper for me to just give up the $10 credit for that month. However this month I was able to get things I needed off of boxed. If it wasn't for the hand sanitizer stuff, I wouldn't have ordered. Last month boxed didn't have the items I needed so I couldn't use the $10 credit there. I think Amex not concerned about Amex about adding new items since the card can earn decent MR for card members.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 8:03 pm

Last night I dreamed that I was desperately trying to use my dining credits (except they werent for dining in my dream) before the end of the month.

I have a monthly reminder set to use the credits, so I saw that task while I was in bed.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
I believe this card will be on the chopping block for me come renewal unless I receive a significant retention offer, which is unlikely considering I got 15,000 MR last year as a retention offer.

Being able to get 4.5% back on mobile wallet and now dining until the end of the year with the Altitude Reserve, and picking up a Altitude Go come 2021 for 4% dining, all for a net $75 just makes the Gold Card unsustainable to hold, especially considering that travel will be curtailed for the foreseeable future. I already am sitting on 500k MR points and I just can’t see myself passing up cash for more MR that I won’t be using for a long time.
LHG likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by jags86
I believe this card will be on the chopping block for me come renewal unless I receive a significant retention offer, which is unlikely considering I got 15,000 MR last year as a retention offer.

Being able to get 4.5% back on mobile wallet and now dining until the end of the year with the Altitude Reserve, and picking up a Altitude Go come 2021 for 4% dining, all for a net $75 just makes the Gold Card unsustainable to hold, especially considering that travel will be curtailed for the foreseeable future. I already am sitting on 500k MR points and I just can’t see myself passing up cash for more MR that I won’t be using for a long time.
This is the main reason I canceled the PRG; I'm points-heavy and if I'm banking points, I'm banking URs due to the baseline 1cpp cash redemption and 1.5cpp via travel portal (or I suppose the possible 1.5cpp statement credit category promotions). And I made that decision even before the pandemic, so I'm really glad about it now.

Originally Posted by kdm31091
I was also surprised they didn't expand the participating restaurants. IMO Shake Shack is overrated too, and it doesn't help that Grubhub service stinks where I live. Tough to justify the $250 AF if not getting value out of the $120 dining credits, especially when I don't always use the $100 airline credit either.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
I realized I have not used my dining credit yet this month. Has anyone ordered on the last day of the month and received the dining credit for that month? I have tried it 2 days before and it gave me the proper credit. I don't want to let $10 go to waste.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.