Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:46 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

If the above is true, I'll just keep one PRG and use it to replace the Uber card for college student. I already put aside the 2x $200 Uber credit for student college use. The Chase 3x UR is about the same as AmEx 4x MR. But I won't be happy if AmEx raises the AF.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:54 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by RedSun
....won't be happy if AmEx raises the AF.
-OR- eliminates the airline fee reimbursement, which I could see them doing if they are going to re-focus the card.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
And if the update the gold they better update the platinum as who wants get 1x for eating out when the lesser card gives you 4x
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
-OR- eliminates the airline fee reimbursement, which I could see them doing if they are going to re-focus the card.
No go with me to take away my $100 airline credit. To be honest, the new changes do not add much to me. The $10/month dining credit is even worse than the $15/month Uber credit. My student in school uses more than 2 x $15/month Uber credit. I may see that we shift Uber eat to Grubhub or Seamless, but we can do without it. It is so much micro management to count the $10/month. Normally kids do not want to manage it.

I already get the Chase CSR. So 4x on dining is just an option to me. I do not think I gain much on that.

From PRG, I only get the $100 airline credit and maybe a couple AmEx offers. No needs for any of the other category rewards. So the card overall is slightly positive to me. If you take away the $100 credit, it is negative to me.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:05 pm

I think it might be a good idea to use the airline fee credit before the updates; it seems a bit too generous to just give extra $120/yr. I do think it's more likely they raise the AF than remove airline credit, though.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:05 pm
mia

Originally Posted by blitzen
....better update the platinum as who wants get 1x for eating out when the lesser card gives you 4x
Very unlikely. American Express has long seen Platinum and Gold serving different, though overlapping, markets. If you want the benefits of Platinum and the rewards of Gold, you'll almost certainly need to pay for both.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by blitzen
And if the update the gold they better update the platinum as who wants get 1x for eating out when the lesser card gives you 4x
For AmEx Plat, I'd like to see it stays as the "Travel" card. AmEx needs to add at least 3x on all hotel booking. Also the 3x or 4x on all dining. I care less about the Saks shopping. Plat is a travel card, not a shopping card. The removal of the old SPG (Marriott) Gold benefits is big. AmEx Plat gets worse now.
blitzen and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
Very unlikely. American Express has long seen Platinum and Gold serving different, though overlapping, markets. If you want the benefits of Platinum and the rewards of Gold, you'll almost certainly need to pay for both.
I'd like to see AmEx Gold taking the affluent daily spending, such as gas, department store, dining, beauty salon, golf, etc. It should go beyond the daily necessity since that is covered with the AmEx ED cards. Gold card should get the Saks shopping credit, not Plat. The target should be mid class who has some disposal income beyond just daily means. But those people probably do not want to travel more than twice a year.....
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:19 pm
mia

Originally Posted by RedSun
....I care less about the Saks shopping. Plat is a travel card, not a shopping card. ...
This type of benefit costs American Express nothing. Saks may even pay to be featured. American Express isn't going to turn away these types of opportunities, which will keep their card in some wallets, just because the Flyertalk demographic doesn't value it.
Gatorsf likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by mia
This type of benefit costs American Express nothing. Saks may even pay to be featured. American Express isn't going to turn away these types of opportunities, which will keep their card in some wallets, just because the Flyertalk demographic doesn't value it.
Amex said that Saks is paying the entirety of the $100 annual credit.

The CEO said that Saks approached Amex offering to foot the bill to get access to Platinum card holders.
mia and lotrbfme like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Exclamation

This new "refresh" if comes to fruition is most likely coming with an increase in cost (annual fee) which will be "bemoaned" and "bewailed" on this board as soon as the product is finally "announced"

Alright! Carry on with the party cheers!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:07 pm

Absolutely.

This seems like a signature AmEx product refresh. I would expect to see an annual fee raised to around $250.00 with a $120 credit paid mostly or in full by partners implemented in a way that maximizes breakage. The airline credit simply goes away.

PRG always sat in an awkward place between Sapphire Preferred and Reserve, and if the multipliers for restaurants and grocery are really 4x, it’s a direct shot at Reserve.

I guess another question is what happens to Everyday Preferred.

Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:23 pm

Are they changing the name to only Gold card? They keep saying using your goldo card and not mention premier card. I wonder if it'll be metal. 🤣
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:33 pm
mia

Originally Posted by trikotret
Are they changing the name to only Gold card? ....
Unlikely, because they provide free Gold cards on Platinum accounts that do not have the features of Premier Rewards Gold.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
I don't know why AMEX has clowns in their rewards and benefits department.

What use is a "$10/month dining benefit"? $10 will get me a Subway foot-long with a drink, and a cookie. Offer the $120 as the entire amount at the beginning of each year. We go through the same garbage with the Uber credits. Why is it so difficult for AMEX to offer a consumer friendly program like everyone else? I no longer carry carry an AMEX non-co-brand card in my wallet because of things like this.

On another note, I've read on Myfico this card will also be issued as metal rather than plastic after the refresh.
yugi and RedSun like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.