Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:09 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Side discussion of Durbin Amendment has been transferred to Credit Card Programs forum. If the discussion becomes primarily political the thread will likely be moved to one of the Omni forums.

Durbin Amendment effect on merchant card acceptance policies.

Originally Posted by maxp0wers
....The $40 minimum order on Friday at 12.30pm is not there same day at 8pm......
To be sure I understand correctly, the higher minimum order seems to apply only during peak (lunchtime) period in your area?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
I haven't applied for an AMEX card in years after they instituted the once in a lifetime bonus rule. I had a lot of the cards but I am not sure whether I ever had the PRG card. When I login they tell me I am pre-approved for the card, but I am not sure about the bonus. So I have two questions:

- where on the AMEX site do you guys see the 50K MR offer? It shows 25K for me.

- does AMEX still warn you personally (as opposed to a general disclaimer) that you are not eligible for the welcome offer. I thought I saw somewhere that they had this feature.

Thanks.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: Working on some
I had the same issue and used a refer a friend link from someone to get the 50k signup.

Yes, it will warn you if your not eligible. That said, call amex to confirm if it shows you are not eligible (and you believe you are). It was showing me as not eligible even know I was and had to call to get it sorted out.

Originally Posted by drminn
I haven't applied for an AMEX card in years after they instituted the once in a lifetime bonus rule. I had a lot of the cards but I am not sure whether I ever had the PRG card. When I login they tell me I am pre-approved for the card, but I am not sure about the bonus. So I have two questions:

- where on the AMEX site do you guys see the 50K MR offer? It shows 25K for me.

- does AMEX still warn you personally (as opposed to a general disclaimer) that you are not eligible for the welcome offer. I thought I saw somewhere that they had this feature.

Thanks.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by LouNanne
No, from Amex app for 25k MR. Lesson learned.
Ouch, many of us would love to get referral from you, see this thread

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1447947-american-express-referral-offers-read-wiki-before-posting.html
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, that's the first i"d heard of a difference between GrubHub and Seamless. When I went to their websites, offhand they looked fairly identical (including giving identical search results in my area in SoCal), but apparently they have overlapping but non-identical service areas.

So anyone who finds that GrubHub doesn't serve their area, check Seamless. (And perhaps vice versa?)
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by DCfearfulflyer
I had the same issue and used a refer a friend link from someone to get the 50k signup.

Yes, it will warn you if your not eligible. That said, call amex to confirm if it shows you are not eligible (and you believe you are). It was showing me as not eligible even know I was and had to call to get it sorted out.
Where/when does it say you are not eligible? Somewhere during the application?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:11 pm
mia

Originally Posted by drminn
Where/when does it say you are not eligible? Somewhere during the application?
Yes, a popup is displayed if you are not eligible for the new account bonus, and you can choose to continue without the offer or terminate the application without a credit check. Discussion here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ne-2018-a.html
Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
The more I use Grub Hub, the less I would even want this card. Why is it so hard to get the order and deliver it in a timely matter? Currently over an hour and 10 minutes for an order I placed tonight. Amex should have just given the credit for any restaurant instead of GrubHub/Seamless/whatever other 8 companies they own.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
The more I use Grub Hub, the less I would even want this card. Why is it so hard to get the order and deliver it in a timely matter? Currently over an hour and 10 minutes for an order I placed tonight. Amex should have just given the credit for any restaurant instead of GrubHub/Seamless/whatever other 8 companies they own.
I would guess that AMEX went with grubhub/seemless and the other restaurants as they are covering most or all of the credit. The same is most likey true for the AMEX Platinum Saks credit.

I used GrubHub for the first time the other day just for pickup. That seems to be a decent option.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:08 pm

Anyone has issue of charging restaurants and not showing up X4 in the statement? This includes charges from GRUBHUB and SEAMLESS and they all show as restaurant category, do they correct the bonus at the end of the statement?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:16 pm
mia

Originally Posted by vincewy
.... not showing up X4 in the statement? ...
Lots of discussion earlier in the thread. Membership Rewards points earned in the current billing period post after the NEXT billing period ends. Only then will you be able to see what was actually awarded.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:39 pm

My issue isn't the delivery, you can opt to pick up the food. My issue is monthly credits not posting, along with bonus points.

I don't want to have to call AMEX every month to track each transaction not posted correctly.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by vincewy
My issue isn't the delivery, you can opt to pick up the food. My issue is monthly credits not posting, along with bonus points.

I don't want to have to call AMEX every month to track each transaction not posted correctly.
People are better off the with new Prestige than this thing if they travel. At least I don't have to worry about Citi complicating the rewards program or having a statement lag on point redemption availability.

$495-$250 towards any travel, 5x on dining worldwide, trip cancellation/interruption protection, TSA precheck reimbursement, 4th night free 2x a year, and price rewind. I'll say no thanks to this card. And really, who cares about a grocery category? Shop at Walmart and save some money rather than a place like Wegmans or Kroger.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
People are better off the with new Prestige than this thing if they travel.
Sure. 2x on cruise lines is great!!!!!!!!!! ... LOL

And really, who cares about a grocery category? Shop at Walmart and save some money rather than a place like Wegmans or Kroger.
I guess someone here likes crappy fruit and vegetables...

Honestly, if I travel I just carry my CSR but, back home, my biggest spending categories are dining and groceries... the Amex Gold is perfect for me. And, really? Buying a AA gift card and ordering food once a month and waiting 3-4 days for the credit to post is really that complicated?
Diplomatico and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Javier1704
Sure. 2x on cruise lines is great!!!!!!!!!! ... LOL

I guess someone here likes crappy fruit and vegetables...

Honestly, if I travel I just carry my CSR but, back home, my biggest spending categories are dining and groceries... the Amex Gold is perfect for me. And, really? Buying a AA gift card and ordering food once a month and waiting 3-4 days for the credit to post is really that complicated?
Yeah, "LOL!!!!" -- Just ignore all of the other points, because it's so hilarious!!!!

Fruits and veggies from a grocery store aren't that great either... I shop at other places for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.