Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge LAX TBIT (opened March 9, 2020; reopened June 15, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion Lounge LAX TBIT (opened March 9, 2020; reopened June 15, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2021, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by dw
To be fair, I feel like the "no PP" sign was probably up more hours than it was down each day there
true, but now there is nothing for AMEX holders/ PP holders.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by brabb12
The In-N-Out on Sepulveda accepts Amex.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
But no alcohol. LOL
Old Jul 24, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by SFO777
But no alcohol. LOL
BYO, yo!
brabb12 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2021, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
BYO, yo!
Outdoor premium service!!
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
To be fair, there's currently nothing for anyone in TBIT.
Statman likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
To be fair, there's currently nothing for anyone in TBIT.
To be fair and accurate, when I was ready to cancel my Amex Platinum in April when the AF came due, they said I'd have both the Centurion Lounge and the
Alaska Lounge at LAX. I renewed for another year. Now I have neither club and nothing at all at LAX. And the "closed for repairs" claim is so transparently false.
krazykanuck and brabb12 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HomerJay
To be fair and accurate, when I was ready to cancel my Amex Platinum in April when the AF came due, they said I'd have both the Centurion Lounge and the Alaska Lounge at LAX. I renewed for another year.
Obviously the decision to close the lounge was made far above the level of the cs agent who made that representation to you. So I wouldn't take it personally.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 9:03 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by HomerJay
... "closed for repairs" claim is so transparently false.
Based on what evidence? How do we know what work is being done to the TBIT building that might affect a lounge's ability to operate?
Old Jul 26, 2021, 10:45 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by mia
Based on what evidence? How do we know what work is being done to the TBIT building that might affect a lounge's ability to operate?
Agreed.

I've seen some people claim "they never opened, so they couldn't possibly need to close for repairs" as if that's some sort of smoking gun, but I thought I read something somewhere about a burst pipe or water leak etc. I have no idea if that's true or not, but it's at least an example of the sort of thing that could cause a lounge to need repairs even though it hasn't even been open for a while.

AMEX certainly *could* be lying -- maybe they are, maybe they aren't -- but I don't think we can necessarily determine that from the outside looking in.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zorak
I've seen some people claim "they never opened, so they couldn't possibly need to close for repairs" as if that's some sort of smoking gun, but I thought I read something somewhere about a burst pipe or water leak etc. I have no idea if that's true or not, but it's at least an example of the sort of thing that could cause a lounge to need repairs even though it hasn't even been open for a while. AMEX certainly *could* be lying -- maybe they are, maybe they aren't -- but I don't think we can necessarily determine that from the outside looking in.
All true - but it seems somewhat strange that a virtually brand new lounge has to close for "building repairs" for an indefinite amount of time, and this lounge is coincidentally in the terminal that has probably seen the greatest decline in passenger volume at LAX. If Amex wants to save money and not operate the lounge, just come out and say so, rather than beat around the bush with this likely BS excuse.
dw likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 11:02 am

Programs: Some more than others
Originally Posted by mia
The problem is that Amex has blown their credibility with respect to this lounge.

For months they claimed "public health orders" were preventing its reopening when at the same time AS, AA, DL and UA were all operating clubs at LAX with food/beverage/alcohol service.

Then the front desk staff started telling people that the lounge would be reopening soon or within weeks.

Now all of a sudden out of left field the lounge is closed seemingly indefinitely due to cryptogenic "building repairs." If it was related to the ongoing construction efforts, then Amex should have known about it a while ago and updated members accordingly instead of stringing them along. If it was an emergency repair (like a busted water main or something) then presumably it wouldn't take months and months to repair and they should spell out that something happened.

So in short, yes it's possible it really is some sort of building repairs; however, many people, myself included aren't inclined to believe Amex, especially without specifics.
dw, krazykanuck and AAdamE like this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 11:13 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SCChris
If it was related to the ongoing construction efforts, then Amex should have known about it a while ago
There are multiple construction projects underway. This type of work frequently reveals previously undetected problems, and a decision is made to expand the scope of the project.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by mia
There are multiple construction projects underway. This type of work frequently reveals previously undetected problems, and a decision is made to expand the scope of the project.
I think Amex needs to be more transparent here.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I would never have done this if the Centurion Lounge were open but I was intrigued and decided to book The Salon by PS for my next trip out of LAX in a few weeks--$695 for a private terminal with a (shared among those who are there) lounge, and chauffeur service across the tarmac to your plane. Totally avoids LAX proper. Not something I would do regularly but my trip to LA is festive and I didn't want it to end with a chaotic airport experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.