Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by calculus1918
Thanks for the detailed tip. I am guessing this is the strategy going forward:

1. Put extra spend on all of the 5 AMEX cards
2. Close the Amex Blue (not really useful to me except the age of the credit history).
3. Wait about 6 months and then apply for the Amex Business again?

Appreciate it guys, hope everyone and their families are safe and healthy!!!
The Blue Card is the Blue Cash Everyday.
How long has you had the Amex Everyday card? If more than a year, what you may want to look into is whether you can convert your Blue card to another Everyday card, then be ready to cancel the newer Everyday card when they tell you "you cannot be approved for this 6th card without closing one of your existing cards; which card do you want to close"?

I know in general you can convert a legacy Blue to an Amex Everyday, but I don't know if Amex will let you convert to a second Everyday if you already have one. (Yes, you could close the current Everyday card first, but that would risk you not getting the bonus on the next card, which is why I suggest you first figure out whether you can convert the Blue to another Amex Everyday card.)

That way you could end up with an Everyday card that preserves the age of the credit history you currently have on the otherwise-unneeded Blue.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, AAdvantage Gold, Southwest A-List Preferred, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by freeflyin
Were you successful using this approach?
I did end up meeting spend and receiving Bonvoy 75k bonus for the method mentioned above when closing and applying in Incognito mode. Now to find a 100k Plat offer sans popup...

Last edited by Rokosz; Apr 8, 2020 at 10:26 am
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:25 am

sdsearch, thank you for that suggestions. I am a rookie when it comes to these rules but I think I understand a little.

I do have the old Amex Blue Everyday (more than 5 years old)
I also have the Amex Everyday card (using it for Amazon special 20 percent discounts) but not nearly as long as the Amex Blue Everyday.

1. Convert the Amex Blue Everyday to the Everyday (keeps the credit history longer)
2. Cancel the current Amex Everyday (down to 4 cards now)

Am I understanding the logic? Then put some spend on the 4 cards now and then apply for the Amex Bonvoy Business?

THANKS!!!
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sdsearch, thank you for that suggestions. I am a rookie when it comes to these rules but I think I understand a little.

I do have the old Amex Blue Everyday (more than 5 years old)
I also have the Amex Everyday card (using it for Amazon special 20 percent discounts) but not nearly as long as the Amex Blue Everyday.

1. Convert the Amex Blue Everyday to the Everyday (keeps the credit history longer)
2. Cancel the current Amex Everyday (down to 4 cards now)

Am I understanding the logic? Then put some spend on the 4 cards now and then apply for the Amex Bonvoy Business?

THANKS!!!
Please read the title of this thread: "based on number of accounts ... closed".

That's why I'm suggesting that you hold off on cancelling the current Amex Everyday card until it becomes a necessity for approval for (what would be) a 6th card.

If you cancel it prior to applying for the new card, you risk being denied the signup bonus on that new card, despite doing spend on all 4 remaining cards, because of the recent Amex card cancellation.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:17 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Please read the title of this thread: "based on number of accounts ... closed".

That's why I'm suggesting that you hold off on cancelling the current Amex Everyday card until it becomes a necessity for approval for (what would be) a 6th card.

If you cancel it prior to applying for the new card, you risk being denied the signup bonus on that new card, despite doing spend on all 4 remaining cards, because of the recent Amex card cancellation.
If you try to sign up for a 6th credit card, do they actively give you the chance to cancel an existing card, or do they just reject you? (I guess possibly even if they do reject you, you could call reconsideration and then do the cancel-and-replace?)

If it's definitely possible to cancel as part of the transaction of opening the new card, I agree you 100% should not cancel any more cards until you are able to open the new card you want without popup, since any more card cancellations will put you further down Amex's blacklist.

BTW, it should be mentioned that if you really really care about the 15 Marriott nights, you can always sign up for the new card without a sign-up bonus (though you'd still have to cancel one of your existing cards). It's probably not a good idea to do so, but depends how much you care about the 15 night credits.

If it makes any difference to your plans, also keep in mind that Marriott has already announced that everyone is keeping whatever status they have this year for another year as well, so that may give you yet more time to wait it out and hope to get off Amex's blacklist.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bgriff
If you try to sign up for a 6th credit card, do they actively give you the chance to cancel an existing card, or do they just reject you? (I guess possibly even if they do reject you, you could call reconsideration and then do the cancel-and-replace?)

If it's definitely possible to cancel as part of the transaction of opening the new card, I agree you 100% should not cancel any more cards until you are able to open the new card you want without popup, since any more card cancellations will put you further down Amex's blacklist.
Amex typically gives you the chance to cancel an existing card when you apply for a "sixth" card. I don't remember the process, though, as to whether it's in place of a rejection, or if it's on the recon call after a rejection (and thus can override the rejection).

There's a whole separate thread about it:

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
At this point I think I will convert next year from one of my Marriott cards to the HIlton card with Diamond status. Is there a way I can do a “conversion” or will I have to cancel one card and apply for another?

I currently have DL Gold, Bonvoy normal and business, as well as platinum card.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 5:41 pm

Thanks experts, I learned so much!!! Thanks to the update on Marriott, this does give me more time.

I finally got you sdsearch... Unfortunately, converting from Amex Blue Cash Everyday to Amex Everyday is not an option.

Definitely will not cancel any cards in the meantime, just spend. Will try again in a few months and then see...

Thanks buddy!!!

Last edited by calculus1918; Apr 10, 2020 at 8:43 am
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by cfabar1
At this point I think I will convert next year from one of my Marriott cards to the HIlton card with Diamond status. Is there a way I can do a “conversion” or will I have to cancel one card and apply for another?

I currently have DL Gold, Bonvoy normal and business, as well as platinum card.
You will need to apply separately for the Hilton Aspire card....cannot product change from a Marriott card to a Hilton card.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:43 pm

I am frustrated with getting the pop up. My amex history is as follows:

Gold Card: 12/2018 (Typical Spend is about $700-$1000/mo)
Hilton Business: 05/2019 ($0 spend in 2020)
Blue Business Plus: 12/2019 (Typical Spend is about $1500/mo, was $4000 last month) I also have a balance on this card but I am taking advantage of 0% apr. Balance is 50% of credit line but I can pay it off at anytime.

First time getting pop up was in March when trying to apply for Delta Gold Business card. So I put about $4000 in spend on one of my cards and I just tried getting the Hilton Aspire but the pop-up is still there.

Is the issue not using the Hilton Business card? To get to rid of the pop up I should put spend on all three of my amex cards?
Old Apr 23, 2020, 6:44 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by Haltomryan
I am frustrated with getting the pop up. My amex history is as follows:

Gold Card: 12/2018 (Typical Spend is about $700-$1000/mo)
Hilton Business: 05/2019 ($0 spend in 2020)
Blue Business Plus: 12/2019 (Typical Spend is about $1500/mo, was $4000 last month) I also have a balance on this card but I am taking advantage of 0% apr. Balance is 50% of credit line but I can pay it off at anytime.

First time getting pop up was in March when trying to apply for Delta Gold Business card. So I put about $4000 in spend on one of my cards and I just tried getting the Hilton Aspire but the pop-up is still there.

Is the issue not using the Hilton Business card? To get to rid of the pop up I should put spend on all three of my amex cards?
50%?! I don't know if this is a factor for the pop-up (it might be), but you want to apply for any credit card with utilization this high? It's not like you have money sitting in a bank account getting 10% interest.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, IHG, Hyatt
So.... Ive put 1000$ of spending on the only amex card I have, waited for the new statement, and am still getting the pop-up? Any ideas? Do I need to wait for 2 months of spending or keep on spending until it goes away?
Old Apr 26, 2020, 5:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by linaseta
....the only amex card I have....
Did you previously have other American Express cards, now closed?
Old Apr 27, 2020, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by mia
Did you previously have other American Express cards, now closed?
Nop, had the gold delta for 2 years and dowangraded it to the free blue version last december. Only recent 1000$ spend on the card.
How much and how much longer do i need to spend?
Old Apr 27, 2020, 8:55 am

Also, I had previously received the 100k amex plat offer in the mail last year, now im in amex jail...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.