Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by rrgg
My fee posts in July too and last year I had a similar offer. It was for points and received them in late September even though I finished spending earlier. Yes, it will likely post past anytime that you cancel and get the annual fee refunded.
Originally Posted by Steve M
It seems to me that that's the whole point of the offer - to keep you from cancelling.
Thanks for the information, confirmation. Yeah, I suppose it is going to work (i.e., keep us from canceling).

I wonder if they will do retention (or, like this, pre-retention) offers in the future? I suppose I should be glad that we got ours in time to do the spend before the 1 August earnings devaluation. Not so sure in the future it will be worth accepting this offer, when spend will be earning 2 Marriott points per dollar.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 6:44 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Okay, so we're sitting here with
  • an AF that just posted (11 July)
  • an offer through August something of $50 credit for $1500 spend and/or $100 credit for $3000 spend (i.e., another $50 for a second $1500). By the end of the weekend we will have hit the $3000 spend. Flies in the ointment are (a) that no $50 credit posted when we passed $1500 a month ago; (b) a 3 July e-mail from Amex/SPG showing that we were registered in the program and had $0 progress through 13 June; and (c) formal language in the offer that says credit(s) will post 8-12 weeks after August end data. Slight possible mitigations to above include (i) just called in and CSR could see our spend on program that conformed to the $ with our calculations; and (ii) CSR said that credit could post when spend hits $3,000.
No way this card gets used for spend after 1 August.

So what is my play here? The hotel certificate would be of value, but it seems as if we would have to pay two more AFs before getting one in July 2019. One of those AFs would be mitigated by the $100 credit, but if that credit doesn't show up before 11 August, then we would have to pay the AF and wait for it. Given how far off all of this is -- the hotel cert, in particular -- my temptation is just to wait until first week of August and cancel the card then, whether credit has posted (found money!) or not (since from a spending standpoint, it's now a useless card).

Or would I be cutting off my nose to spite my face, since the eventual $100 credit does make it possible to hold card at no real cost for one more year.?
I got a similar but less lucrative offer for $100 back after $5K spend up to two times. Have hit the spend and no credit, though the T&Cs likewise suggest it may not post until the spend period is over. It may end up requiring chasing the credit, but I'm not too worried about it since I also got a "here's what you've spent so far" email which gives me further comfort that it's a real offer that is in fact logged somewhere in Amex's systems.

For you, it's up to you, but it does sound like cancelling the card would be more pique than anything. I guess you could try for a retention offer with regard to the annual fee, perhaps calling between August 1-11 when the new program rules are (theoretically) fully in place but the paid AF is also theoretically still refundable. Amex seems to have cracked down somewhat on retention offers, but I suspect they may also be desperate to placate angry SPG cardholders. And/or they may just offer you a bonus to upgrade to the luxury card.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by bgriff
I got a similar but less lucrative offer for $100 back after $5K spend up to two times. Have hit the spend and no credit, though the T&Cs likewise suggest it may not post until the spend period is over. It may end up requiring chasing the credit, but I'm not too worried about it since I also got a "here's what you've spent so far" email which gives me further comfort that it's a real offer that is in fact logged somewhere in Amex's systems.

For you, it's up to you, but it does sound like cancelling the card would be more pique than anything. I guess you could try for a retention offer with regard to the annual fee, perhaps calling between August 1-11 when the new program rules are (theoretically) fully in place but the paid AF is also theoretically still refundable. Amex seems to have cracked down somewhat on retention offers, but I suspect they may also be desperate to placate angry SPG cardholders. And/or they may just offer you a bonus to upgrade to the luxury card.
More good thinking... thanks! Will try the early August callback and, yeah, pique ... will try to avoid that!!
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:27 am

Because my SPG card is the last AMEX card I have with my grandfathered "member since" date for credit reporting (AMEX changed this a few years ago; it used to be their policy to open any new account with the "member since" date for credit reporting purposes), I tried to product change it today to the Everyday card so my credit score wouldn't go down. The CS rep said this card is ineligible for this. Anyone done this successfully?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:32 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by nyc2cal
Because my SPG card is the last AMEX card I have with my grandfathered "member since" date for credit reporting (AMEX changed this a few years ago; it used to be their policy to open any new account with the "member since" date for credit reporting purposes), I tried to product change it today to the Everyday card so my credit score wouldn't go down. The CS rep said this card is ineligible for this. Anyone done this successfully?
It is apparently no longer possible to change across brands -- i.e. SPG card could be changed to the new luxury card but not to a Delta card or Amex-brand card. Since there's no free SPG card you can't avoid paying an annual fee on it while preserving the account age.

I'm in the same situation and will keep the SPG card for credit score purposes since it's one of my oldest accounts. The free night should cover the annual fee IMO.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nyc2cal
If you wait enough years, Amex may totally discontinue the SPG card and if so at that point they may convert it some generic Amex card. That would probably be your only chance. But even that's not guaranteed. (And I'm not familiar with any parallel situation in which a "grandfathered" partner card from Amex continued after the ability to market it was lost, and how long it took for them to totally discontinue it afterwards. This kind of situation, with a "soft" exit of a card type from a partner, doesn't happen very often. Usually Amex either totally loses the partner or totally keeps the partner. But, anyway, I don't even know what they've done with non-grandfathered cards when they lost a partner, but didn't sell the accounts.)
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Should I close my current SPG card in the hope of being eligible for the sign up bonus of the refreshed cards ?

For new accounts, will they give the free-night certificate upon approval ?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Should I close my current SPG card in the hope of being eligible for the sign up bonus of the refreshed cards ?

The only new card is the Luxury card, so I wouldn't expect to get a sign up bonus on the personal or business if you've had it before. And no, the free night is an anniversary night certificate, so you'll get it annually once you've had the card for a year. Now of course Amex could include a free night certificate on approval as part of the sign up bonus like they did with the Hilton card for a while but nobody knows what the sign up bonuses will be for the refreshed cards.

I saw that my anniversary just hit and grandfathered $65 AF hit my account (biz). Time to call and express my unhappiness about missing out on the first anniversary night by only 2 weeks...
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
Any guesses if lowering the credit limit to $1500 on the Luxury Card will result in a refund of the annual fee?
CDO likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MasterGeek

Which current SPG card? Personal or business?

No only will there not be a new personal SPG card (other than new "luxury" card), the current SPG card may be discontinued for new applications very soon perhaps. Amex supposedly doesn't have right to "market" a "normal cost" personal card in the new program, which is what the current personal SPG card is, and by some interpretations the new program is starting in just a couple weeks.

Meanwhile, there's a very good chance that the new business card is going to treated just as a refresh of the existing SPG business card, and "lifetime" rules will disallow anyone who's had the SPG business card in the past 7 years or so from getting a signup bonus on the new business card.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Which current SPG card? Personal or business?

No only will there not be a new personal SPG card (other than new "luxury" card), the current SPG card may be discontinued for new applications very soon perhaps. Amex supposedly doesn't have right to "market" a "normal cost" personal card in the new program, which is what the current personal SPG card is, and by some interpretations the new program is starting in just a couple weeks.
I wonder if Lucky is correct.
Based on what we’ve known until recently, my assumption was that the SPG Personal Amex would no longer be open to new applicants as of sometime soon. That’s because Chase has the rights to issuing the mass consumer and premium consumer cards. Logically that means the card would continue being honored for existing cardmembers, though eventually would no longer be allowed to accept new applicants.

Apparently that’s not the case. Amex has confirmed to me that the SPG Amex Consumer Card will continue to be issued after August 1, and that there will be a “very rich sign-up bonus on the card in the coming weeks.”

This is surprising to me. Looking back at the initial announcement from last December, there was nothing explicitly stating that the agreements were exclusive, though I think it was logical enough to infer that, especially based on similar situations we’ve seen with other agreements. That’s not happening after all, and I’m quite happy about that, as it means more choices for us.
https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....icking-around/
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:56 am

I read somewhere a while back that the new SPG luxury card won't be available (or maybe won't offer a sign up bonus?) to people who have the existing Ritz Carlton card. Do we know for sure about this? I have the Ritz card, and will be ready to meet spend on a new card in the next few months, and was planning on jumping on the SPG Luxury card if the sign up bonus was good. But maybe I shouldn't expect to be eligible? Thanks for any insights!
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:04 pm

Annual fee just posted on my SPG Card. CSR confirmed that reward night would not kick in until end of July 2019. No real details on upgrade path to Luxury Card. Offered retention of $75 with $2,000 spend. Contemplating shifting over to Hilton properties.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LWT3
I wonder if this just has to do with the definition of "the new program" (and thus its start date)? Ie, maybe it's not until the new program has a new name and Starwood as such no longer exists? Starwood as such will continue to exist until at least the end of 2018, even if some other aspects of the program are merging in August.

In one sense, a card issued in August that says "Starwood" on it is not yet branded for the new program, even more so if it still says "Starwood Preferred Guest" on it..
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:12 am

Regarding the SPG business, can you have different SPG account numbers for different authorized users? I have that on my platinum. Each authorized user has their own unique membership rewards account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.