Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
amex also stated aug 1 conversion date

they may have simply chosen to say that even if they knew it may happen in aug after that date

marriott may have changed date, and could theoretically change it again
Marriott didn't change the date, since they announce any more specific date than just "in August" (until recently announcing August 18th).

It was Amex who came up with the exact Aug 1 date. So there's no "also" about, it was Amex's date, not Marriot's!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
Anyone waiting for points to be posted on the spg account for statments closed after aug 1st. My statement closed on aug 3rd , and usually the points will be posted to my SPG account by 6th . But till now there is no sign of it. When checked with Amex , they told points are already in transfer pending state and nothing can be expedited from their side.

Anyone facing this issue ? I am planning on purchasing 1 more travel package , but the delay in posting the points concerns me.
As dw explained above, you won't get the points until the program change on the 18th, since the Amex card earns new points, not Starpoints, for statements issued since Aug 1.

AFAIK, you can't get Starpoints from any external source between now and Aug 18. You can still convert between Marriott and SPG until Aug 18, and you can still transfer from, for example, Chase UR directly to Marriott (though if it's for a Marriott Travel Package, that's not likely to be a worthwhile value transfer).
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by dw

Since points earned post Aug 1 are no longer “Starpoints” but Stariott “points”, they will not post until on or after Aug 18, after balances in SPG accounts have been converted to “points”.
Which email from Amex mentioned about this ? Or is it your assumption , that points will be posted only after 18th ?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:26 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
Which email from Amex mentioned about this ? Or is it your assumption , that points will be posted only after 18th ?
I just love how sometimes now on FT, when some of us try to provide useful/helpful information, the response is that the source of the information must be justified.

The info was from a Marriott exec, as previously reported by Gary Leff:

”American Express previously notified cardholders that unbonused points earning changes from 1 Starwood point per dollar (3 points in the new system) to 2 points in the new system, a one-third reduction in earning power.
That will still happen August 1. David Flueck cautioned that “For statement date closes August 1-18, there will be a little delay until after August 18th for points to show up” in accounts because of this transition.”

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...-need-to-know/

Last edited by dw; Aug 8, 2018 at 8:32 pm
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by dw

I just love how sometimes now on FT, when some of us try to provide useful/helpful information, the response is that the source of the information must be justified.

The info was from a Marriott exec, as previously reported by Gary Leff:

”American Express previously notified cardholders that unbonused points earning changes from 1 Starwood point per dollar (3 points in the new system) to 2 points in the new system, a one-third reduction in earning power.
That will still happen August 1. David Flueck cautioned that “For statement date closes August 1-18, there will be a little delay until after August 18th for points to show up” in accounts because of this transition.”

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...-need-to-know/

Thanks for the information , but this is so annoying . I am short of 90k points to buy a travel package and have exactly spent around 30 k on spg cards on the assumption that these will be posted before Aug 18 and i can use them to buy the package. There was no official communication regds this , apart from a executive giving a random interview to a blogger.

i can move 90k chase points , but those are worth 1350 $ on URportal. Damn i should have bought discounted starpoints when it was on sale , instead of gambling on this . This is very frustrating .
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:28 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Can any NEW (Aug 1 and after) cardmembers report that their SPG numbers were successfully linked with their new Amex accounts? I applied on Aug 1 and unfortunately, there seemed to be delay after delay with SPG "validating" the number Amex says they sent over. I was suspecting that SPG may have been holding off until after the Aug. 18 integration date for new accounts. Today I was told by Amex that my SPG number was rejected by SPG. They also tried to submit my new SPG/Marriott number that was generated this weekend, but that also failed.

It's a bit annoying because my first statement has already closed, but the points haven't been sent out yet by Amex, since there's no SPG account number associated yet.

I know Marriott is still having some issues with the systems integration so I guess I'll wait until later this week to try again. Although I'm not sure what number I should be instructing Amex to use at this point.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
No new intel on the SPG luxury Amex bonus offer that is supposed to launch tomorrow? There’s an older Doctor if Credot hypothesis that it will be 125k points.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
No new intel on the SPG luxury Amex bonus offer that is supposed to launch tomorrow? There’s an older Doctor if Credot hypothesis that it will be 125k points.
It's the 23rd. Nothing out yet.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: Lifetime Marriott Platinum,AA Lifetime Gold,Hyatt SPG Platinum,UAL Lifetime Platinum,
SPG Luxury Card

Success just approved for the card with 100,000 points for $5000 spend in 3 months. Took 2 minutes after the rep spent 15 minutes telling me all the terms and conditions. Painless!
LF72 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by LF72
It's the 23rd. Nothing out yet.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...dArt-SPGLuxury
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by verstein
Success just approved for the card with 100,000 points for $5000 spend in 3 months. Took 2 minutes after the rep spent 15 minutes telling me all the terms and conditions. Painless!
Applied online - pending .... did you call in to apply or did you call after it was pending (if so what was the phone number)?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by verstein
If people are reporting on this, could you also state how many Amex personal & business non-charge cards you already have? I'm just curious about speculation on the 4 or 5 card limit. Thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:09 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rrgg
....curious about speculation on the 4 or 5 card limit. Thanks.
Discussion here:

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.

My read is that the 5 card limit is hard, although a few people may exceed it due to (example) conversion of Citi Hilton cards.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:31 am

"Earn Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year." I guess I'll be holding off on applying until January.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:42 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jbeans
... I guess I'll be holding off on applying until January.
Bear in mind that the offer terms change on 8.26.2018. Verify that you will be eligible in January:

Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.

Effective 8/26, welcome offer not available to applicants who

(i) have or have had The Ritz-Carlton RewardsŪ Credit Card from JP Morgan in the last 30 days,

(ii) have acquired The Marriott RewardsŪ Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, The Marriott RewardsŪ Premier Credit Card from Chase, or The Marriott RewardsŪ Premier Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 90 days, or

(iii) received a welcome or upgrade offer for The Marriott RewardsŪ Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, The Marriott RewardsŪ Premier Credit Card from Chase, or The Marriott RewardsŪ Premier Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 24 months.
jbeans likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.