Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:46 am

Regarding making $75K in eligible purchases in a calendar year: if I can make $75K in 2018, how long is platinum elite status good for? Through end of 2019?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Platinum Elite Status Upgrade

If, in any calendar year of Card Membership your total eligible purchases on your Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card account reach $75,000, you (the Basic Card Member) will be enrolled in Platinum Elite status. This upgrade to Platinum Elite status benefit is only available to the Basic Card Member; however, eligible purchases made by Additional Card Members will contribute to the purchase requirement. Eligible purchases means purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of traveler's checks, purchases of gift cards, person-to-person payments, the purchase or reloading of prepaid cards, and purchases of other cash equivalents.

A calendar year is from January 1 to December 31 regardless of when you open your Card Account. Allow 12-16 weeks from the time your total eligible purchases reach $75,000 for your enrollment in Platinum Elite status to become effective.

Your upgrade to Platinum Elite status is valid for the remainder of the calendar year in which it was earned and the subsequent calendar year. Your enrollment will expire after that subsequent calendar year unless your eligible purchases during the next calendar year again qualifies you for enrollment, or you qualify for Platinum Elite status under the loyalty program terms.

You cannot receive enrollment in Platinum Elite status through this reward program if you are already enrolled at Platinum Elite status or any higher status.

For more information about Platinum Elite status and complete Terms and Conditions, visit members.marriott.com.

In order to receive Platinum Elite status benefits at participating SPG® and Marriott Rewards® hotels, you will need to combine your loyalty member accounts online prior to arrival at the hotel. Log into spg.com and follow the prompts in order to combine your accounts.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...0/#offer-terms
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: Lifetime Marriott Platinum,AA Lifetime Gold,Hyatt SPG Platinum,UAL Lifetime Platinum,
Called 877-621-2639 approved immediately but i only have a Platinum card from AMEX.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:50 am

Approved then did an online chat and told them I was not happy with APR. Lowered it to prime + 6% = 11%. Permanent. Win. Win.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I think I'm going to pass on the Lux card at 100k bonus. I might have gone for it at 125k as the rumor was. I rarely have paid stays at SPG/Marriott properties so the $300 credit isn't worth quite the full $300 to me and pretty much all the other benefits are duplicative with at least one other card in my wallet since I also have the SPG Biz and Ritz cards. If I decide to cancel the Ritz card I can always come back to this one, but I think the Ritz is a better value proposition than the Lux card if you happen to have one.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium + LT Gold
Anyone know if the $300 credit can be used for Marriott gift cards?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:11 am

Applied for the SPG Lux card and got the 14 day message. I have 5 AmEx credit cards, so that's probably why. May need to figure out which one to close. I currently have SPG Personal, SPG Bus, Blue Personal, Hilton Aspire (just got in Feb.) and Hilton Bus (just got in May). I never use my Blue personal card, but I have had it since 1988 so I'm reluctant to close it -- am I wrong on that? If it doesn't make sense to close my Blue personal card, I probably will choose between my SPG personal card or my SPG bus card - thoughts on which one is better to keep-- the bus card? Thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:40 am
mia

Would there be any reason to have both SPG personal and Luxury?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by mia
Would there be any reason to have both SPG personal and Luxury?
The only reason I can think of is if you wanted to cancel the Luxury card before your second annual fee was due and still wanted to have an SPG personal card for the free annual night or whatever other reason.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:43 am
mia

High probability that you will be able to downgrade Luxury to personal in a year, but if not you would still have the Business card which I believe has the highest category multiples.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by mia
Very high probability that you will be able to downgrade Luxury to personal in a year.
Good point.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Called to upgrade existing SPG personal and was told "upgrading " was not an option, but would be in a couple of weeks.

Anyone had similar experience?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by festriaqua
Anyone know if the $300 credit can be used for Marriott gift cards?
I mean considering nobody has the card in hand yet it's a bit premature for anybody to know, but I would guess that as long as you purchase them at and they're charged by a physical hotel, it will likely work. Just my guess based off how credits and Amex typically work.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I think I'm going to pass on the Lux card at 100k bonus. I might have gone for it at 125k as the rumor was. I rarely have paid stays at SPG/Marriott properties so the $300 credit isn't worth quite the full $300 to me and pretty much all the other benefits are duplicative with at least one other card in my wallet since I also have the SPG Biz and Ritz cards. If I decide to cancel the Ritz card I can always come back to this one, but I think the Ritz is a better value proposition than the Lux card if you happen to have one.
I was so ready to apply when I noticed that SPG Lux card is available today. But for the same reasons you mentioned I decided to pass this time. I have the Ritz as well and it became high value card for me thanks to the anniversary night certificate. I don't know if I cancel the Ritz. But if I plan on keeping the Ritz, then I should apply SPG Lux...
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Offered 15K points to upgrade to lux card and spend $1K in 3 months. Approved immediately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.