Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
Has anyone tried tapping the Luxury card and had it work?

I’ve tried it on several terminals and it doesn’t do anything. It has the NFC logo on it so I’m not sure what the issue is.
I still haven't received mine yet but I've found that for other AmEx cards the merchant may need to activate the terminal first (which they may not know to do for a physical card unless one inserts it first). A sanity check to see if that's actually the case is to go to somewhere like CVS that activates their terminals after the first item.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
If you highly value the option to transfer Marriott points to a wide variety of airline miles, there might be a case for this viewpoint. But worth remembering that 1 dollar on non-bonus spend on SPG Luxury Amex = .8333 airline miles (including the 25% transfer bonus). 1 dollar of restaurant/airfare spend on SPG Luxury Amex = 1.6667 airline miles. Vs 1 dollar of non-bonus spend on CSR = 1 airline mile with a smaller collection of airlines (or 1.5 airline miles with a smaller collection of airlines if you also hold a no-annual-fee CFU); 1 dollar of restaurant/airfare spend on CSR = 3 airline miles with a smaller collection of airlines.

Totally fine if you value the broader range of transfer options enough to justify that tradeoff, but just worth keeping in mind that it's a very different scale of earnings. If you use the CSR/CFU combo you can earn miles almost twice as fast in all spend categories except SPG/Marriott hotel spend, though with the admitted tradeoff that it's a much smaller group of transfer partners.
Honestly, I hadn't put that much thought into it but I think you're right. As usual, Chase is always the right call and amex is just incapable of putting out a better product on pretty much every level.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
Has anyone tried tapping the Luxury card and had it work?
Mine has worked at the grocery store near my house. I'm actually surprised they have NFC enabled because they're so behind the times in everything else, and in general, a pretty terrible store. It just happens to be walking distance from my house. I rarely have a chance to use NFC in my day to day.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BlueEyedBuckeye
...amex is just incapable of putting out a better product on pretty much every level.
If you look at the full range of Marriott cards issued by American Express and Chase, and read the terms of their new card offers, you can see that Marriott has carefully orchestrated parity between the two issuers. This isn't good for us, unrestricted competition would produce better value, but it appears this is the path that Marriott has chosen.

The Starwood Business card is somewhat better for earning Marriott points than the Luxury card, but I doubt that we will keep it.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robchow
I guess that if you are meeting minimum spend on an AMEX card that one should continue to get other AMEX cards as there is recent usage history. Once AMEX card is sock-drawer (minimum to no usage), your chance for sign up bonus drops to nil. So once you start AMEX cards, continue until done?
That is not known. For all we know, they could also track how fast you're applying for Amex cards, and deny you based on that.

So perhaps spacing the cards out and never "sock drawering" them would work better. This popup is just too new for us to know things to that level of detail.

In any case, there's a totally separate thread for that popup:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ne-2018-a.html
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: N/A
Is it possible to have all 3 cards?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:59 am
mia

Originally Posted by JBG89
Is it possible to have all 3 cards?
1. Do you simply want to hold all three SPG cards, or do you want to earn the bonus for each?

2. Have you read the offer terms for the card(s) that you do not hold, and do you see a restriction that would disqualify you?

3. You cannot hold more than five credit cards issued by American Express.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by mia
3. You cannot hold more than five credit cards issued by American Express.
What's the signup bonus for breaking rule #3 ? Let me know and I'll decide whether it is worth it
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:17 pm
mia

Originally Posted by s0ssos
What's the signup bonus for breaking rule #3....
No bonus, because the application will not be approved.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by mia
No bonus, because the application will not be approved.
I mean, is there a bounty for breaking Mia rule #3 ? Maybe 100,000 Mia points?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:58 pm
mia

American Express's five credit card rule has exceptions, but when someone who holds more than five cards applied for another they rejected the application, and will require cancellation of sufficient cards to bring the holdings down to four. Read HERE.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:48 pm

Got a mailer for 125k sigh-up bonus for the new Lux card. This might just be enough to push me over the fence and sign up.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
Originally Posted by mia
American Express's five credit card rule has exceptions, but when someone who holds more than five cards applied for another they rejected the application, and will require cancellation of sufficient cards to bring the holdings down to four. Read HERE.
Just had this happened to me, I've got 5 credit cards among my personal and business cards, applied for the SPG Lux, got a voice message asking me to call back, while online app status showed "decline". Called back and was told the same reason as online app status, too many credit cards. All I needed to do was to cancel one existing to get the SPG Lux approved.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anybody owning the existing SPG card seen the Free Night Cert that is available for card member whose anniversary date is on or after August 1st?

I ask because a friend claimed she has it in her AMEX account but I believe she mistakes the Free Night Award benefit being the cert because when one clicks it, AMEX site would bring up a screen on further explanation of the free night, AND with a Green Start Booking Box in the middle of the screen... When click thru, all it did was taking you to SPG site even after you log in, you do NOT see a cert in your Activity Page, per the AMEX wordings, the cert comes as an eCert and would show up in the Activity Page.

Another question comes to mind is, now Marriott has assigned new number to the SPG account, do we need to contact AMEX the new number or it is automatically linked? Seems from people's reports on not receiving their earned SPG pts post Aug 18th, they have to call in to give AMEX the new SPG number. What about if the Marriott account and SPG account is combined? Or, if not combined yet, but if one intends to keep the Marriott number, can one just give AMEX the Marriott number instead?

I post here because the thread seems to also include the "refresh" AMEX SPG cards.

Mod, if you feel this should be in a new thread, please give it a new thread. Thanks.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Happy
Has anybody owning the existing SPG card seen the Free Night Cert that is available for card member whose anniversary date is on or after August 1st?

I ask because a friend claimed she has it in her AMEX account but I believe she mistakes the Free Night Award benefit being the cert because when one clicks it, AMEX site would bring up a screen on further explanation of the free night, AND with a Green Start Booking Box in the middle of the screen... When click thru, all it did was taking you to SPG site even after you log in, you do NOT see a cert in your Activity Page, per the AMEX wordings, the cert comes as an eCert and would show up in the Activity Page.

Another question comes to mind is, now Marriott has assigned new number to the SPG account, do we need to contact AMEX the new number or it is automatically linked? Seems from people's reports on not receiving their earned SPG pts post Aug 18th, they have to call in to give AMEX the new SPG number. What about if the Marriott account and SPG account is combined? Or, if not combined yet, but if one intends to keep the Marriott number, can one just give AMEX the Marriott number instead?

I post here because the thread seems to also include the "refresh" AMEX SPG cards.

Mod, if you feel this should be in a new thread, please give it a new thread. Thanks.
Automatically linked, from my experience. My AMEX SPG card account shows the new SPG number issued. I kept the Marriott number instead of the SPG number when I combined accounts and the new SPG number was automatically updated on my AMEX account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.