Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2020, 8:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I tried posting earlier, but I think my computer didn't go through....

My Free night posted four weeks within paying the AF. Much better than last year, when I had to ask for manual issue of the benefit.

I am also wondering, as a current Marriott Amex member, if I upgrade to what used to be called the SPG Luxury Card, now I believe is called Marriot Bonvoy Brilliant AMEX, will I be eligible for a sign up bonus? Or alternatively is there an "upgrade" bonus I can inquire to AMEX about?
glad to hear the cert is maybe posting faster now; I just had a renewal fee post, so fingers crossed.

Upgrades do not qualify for the signup bonus. Sometimes there are upgrade bonuses (I got one in email and also by logging in to the AMEX site around the time the Lux/Brilliant was introduced) but those are a different category of thing.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
As a data point, I called to inquire about upgrade bonus with Amex and was told that they are finally just starting to reopen those. They had been totally stopped for a while due to COVID according to my agent, but they have been bringing them back.

She told me that today I was not eligible for a bonus, but I should call back next month and see if I might be then. She encouraged me to not upgrade the card until I received an upgrade bonus.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Hello all, don’t mean to double post, but here is a new question:
Do Uber Eats and Grubhub, etc. qualify for the restaurant bonus from Amex with Marriott this month?
Old Oct 4, 2020, 6:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Hello all, don’t mean to double post, but here is a new question:
Do Uber Eats and Grubhub, etc. qualify for the restaurant bonus from Amex with Marriott this month?
Yes - all those count as restaurant spend for Amex

I was disappointed to find a local bar I go to took itself out of the Eat Around Town program, so I can’t double dip the 10X Amex with the 8x E.A.T. promotion. But Brandy Library is part of it, so maybe I will go have some cognac soon...
Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Rejected for Bonus ...Bonvoy Brilliant Card

While applying I received a popup saying I would not receive the welcome bonus. Not because I had received a bonus before, but because of this....." based on your history with credit card balance transfers, American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of Cards you have opened and closed, you are not eligible to receive the welcome offer.
We have not yet performed a credit check. Would you still like to proceed?"

I currently have 3 personal and 1 business card card. Over the last 40 years cards have been opened and closed, but nothing extreme and its even slowed down the last couple years.

Is it worth calling?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:50 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TaxiApple
I currently have 3 personal and 1 business card card. Over the last 40 years cards have been opened and closed,
Telephone agents cannot override the popup. If any of the open cards are dormant, put some spend on them for a few months, and then try again. Also, you may find that the algorithm will approve a bonus for a different card. General discussion here:

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)
Old Jan 12, 2021, 4:04 pm

Programs: Marriott BonvAnnoyed
Is it the last day of the application OR do you have to be approved today, in order to get the Marriott Bonus offer of 100K points + Platinum status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.