Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by tattikat2
Called to upgrade existing SPG personal and was told "upgrading " was not an option, but would be in a couple of weeks.

Anyone had similar experience?
Well, this showed up today after I logged in to AMEX online:
Limited Time Offer: upgrade to the SPG® Amex Luxury Card by 10/31/18 and you can earn 100,000 points. Plus, in each Card renewal year, get up to $300 in statement credits for purchases on the Card at participating SPG® or Marriott Rewards® hotels. Terms apply.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by brisavmn
Well, this showed up today after I logged in to AMEX online:
Limited Time Offer: upgrade to the SPG® Amex Luxury Card by 10/31/18 and you can earn 100,000 points. Plus, in each Card renewal year, get up to $300 in statement credits for purchases on the Card at participating SPG® or Marriott Rewards® hotels. Terms apply.
Hi brisavmn,

I have seen that too, but when I click on it it says my accounts are not suitable to be upgraded?

How can a SPG regular card, not be "suitable " to be upgraded?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Hi brisavmn,

I have seen that too, but when I click on it it says my accounts are not suitable to be upgraded?

I can click through on mine but considering that the $300 credit doesn't seem to apply until after my account anniversary, I'm not sure it's worthwhile to upgrade. On the other hand, the upgrade offer of 100K points is the same as if I were to apply for a brand new card.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:45 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Just out of curiosity, is the luxury card made out of plastic or metal?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Was the account opened in the past 12 months?

Originally Posted by tmiw
....$300 credit doesn't seem to apply until after my account anniversary,....
Does it say that explicitly, or it that your interpretation of the phrase "card renewal year"?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
Does it say that explicitly, or it that your interpretation of the phrase "card renewal year"?
Now that you mention it, the expanded T&C for the upgrade offer does indicate that the $300 is valid as of the date the card's opened (which presumably is the date the original SPG card was opened, unless I'm wrong on that):

$300 SPG/Marriott Rewards Statement Credit
During each year of your Card Membership ("reward year"), you are eligible to receive up to $300 total in statement credits on your Card Account for eligible purchases made directly at participating SPG® or Marriott Rewards® hotels on your Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card during that reward year. Your first reward year begins on your account opening date. Each subsequent reward year begins on the anniversary of your account opening date.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by mia
Was the account opened in the past 12 months?

Card was opened 2004!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:31 pm
wmz

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Just to sanity check, the $300 credit can definitely be used for normal room costs right? Not just incidentals? What about pre-paid stays?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
If people are reporting on this, could you also state how many Amex personal & business non-charge cards you already have? I'm just curious about speculation on the 4 or 5 card limit. Thanks.
Originally Posted by mia
Discussion here:

Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.

My read is that the 5 card limit is hard, although a few people may exceed it due to (example) conversion of Citi Hilton cards.
OK. Thanks. I was really just asking that if people are going to post "I was approved" you might as well also give us this data point.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is car rental CDW coverage primary or secondary for this card? I cannot find it one way or the other in T&C.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:41 am

Hi brisavmn,

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to the "suitable" question. Does seem strange to me.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TerryK
Is car rental CDW coverage primary or secondary for this card? I cannot find it one way or the other in T&C.
I'd presume it's secondary like it is on pretty much all Amex cards (unless you pay for the Premium car rental insurance which is like ~$20/rental)
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
See here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...nce-terms.html

Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance provides Authorized Driver(s) with insurance coverage for Damage to or Theft of most Rental Vehicles when the Card Member uses the Card to pay for the Entire Rental from any Rental Company. Damage to or Theft of a Rental Vehicle coverage is always secondary to any other insurance.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AS MVP Gold 100K, Hilton Diamond(Amex), Marriott Platinum
So what rewards number are people using on their SPG Lux card app? Marriott, new or old SPG? I used Marriott and it is not showing up in my online account. My SPG Business card still shows the old account number and I have not combined my Marriott and SPG accounts yet. Will this work itself out or should I call Amex? Thanks!
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by macmedic
So what rewards number are people using on their SPG Lux card app? Marriott, new or old SPG? I used Marriott and it is not showing up in my online account. My SPG Business card still shows the old account number and I have not combined my Marriott and SPG accounts yet. Will this work itself out or should I call Amex? Thanks!
I upgraded rather than applied. When you click through the Earn Points Link that is at the right top of your Amex SPG account page under Points transferred this year,, it will take you to your combined account where your current membership number is displayed again at the top right (I chose my Marriott number when I combined.) Right below that, they display your previous SPG account number. This tells me that when I meet the required spend, they will put the points in the right account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.