Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
August 18.
combine into one at SPG.com or Marriott.com.
New SPG.com and SPG App

New SPG Number: All SPG members will receive a new 9-digit account number to align with the specifications of our new loyalty system. Members will receive the new number via email (starting August 19 for members opted in to email) or while logging in to SPG.com. Passwords will remain the same, unless a member elects to change it themselves.

Planned Systems Outage: As we launch our new program, a temporary outage of all systems, sites and apps is planned for August 18 beginning early morning (U.S. Eastern Time). This means that for most of the day there will be time when bookings are not possible, your account is not accessible, account combine is not available, etc. Please plan accordingly and be a bit patient with us during this transition.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
If I had known the 1 to 3 point conversion was to continue until Aug 18, I would have put spend on my SPG card until Aug statement closes. Since the original rumor was Aug 1,I had already moved spend to a different card. Oh well, this merger hasn’t been as bad as I thought.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:03 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by eajusa
If I had known the 1 to 3 point conversion was to continue until Aug 18, I would have put spend on my SPG card until Aug statement closes. Since the original rumor was Aug 1,I had already moved spend to a different card. Oh well, this merger hasn’t been as bad as I thought.
The Amex card still devalues on August 1 ... the email SPG sent out announcing the August 18 date even says as much near the end.

It's not clear how they'll handle that exactly but presumably they've figured it out ... I guess people who have August closing dates before August 18 will get 2/3 of a Starpoint for spend after August 1, or something.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Klimo
Regarding the SPG business, can you have different SPG account numbers for different authorized users? I have that on my platinum. Each authorized user has their own unique membership rewards account.
Each AU has own card number. All points accrue to primary account
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
I have the SPG Biz card - can I still refer my wife for that card for 7500 referral points? I can't find the referral link anymore...
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
I have the SPG Biz card - can I still refer my wife for that card for 7500 referral points? I can't find the referral link anymore...
At present, there are no referrals for any SPG cards.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:16 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Welcome to the new era of anti-churning

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....-credit-cards/
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by yeunganson
Welcome to the new era of anti-churning

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....-credit-cards/
Here is how I think it will work : To check for welcome bonus eligibility, Amex/Chase will send a query to Marriott asking something like "Did Marriott account number xxx receive a welcome bonus from Amex/Chase recently or is already associated with a Chase or Amex card ?"

Easy work around: Create a new Marriott account under same or different name (or don't provide your current Marriott account number) for the credit card application then merge Marriott accounts or transfer the points to your regular account after unlocking the welcome bonus
Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:01 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Here is how I think it will work : To check for welcome bonus eligibility, Amex/Chase will send a query to Marriott asking something like "Did Marriott account number xxx receive a welcome bonus from Amex/Chase recently or is already associated with a Chase or Amex card ?"

Easy work around: Create a new Marriott account under same or different name (or don't provide your current Marriott account number) for the credit card application then merge Marriott accounts or transfer the points to your regular account after unlocking the welcome bonus
I would think AMEX can pull the credit file and check if a person has a Chase Visa card and the card number. Certain combinations of card numbers can indicate what type of chase card you have and thus determine if you had a Marriott Visa. Chase and AMEX just have to cooperate to share the combination algorithm used for card generation for the Marriott/Starwood version of the cards.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Except that creating a second account is against Marriott rules.

And if they're checking when apply for a card, they may also check if you merge the accounts or transfer the points later, and take away all of your accounts and all of your points because you tried to "defraud" them.

Plus you're also assuming they'll check based on the account number only. That's not possible, since they're checking both Marriott and SPG accounts even though they may not be linked, so they must finding your account another way. And if they can find that, they can find your "not quite accidental" second account.

Or, if they are only checking linked accounts, maybe you can defeat it simply by unlinking? But I doubt they'll explain how they're checking it, so it will take some datapoints to figure out if linked accounts are they only way they check "the other program"

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 29, 2018 at 8:46 pm
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:35 am

Hi All,

Don't know if this was mentioned already, but I just heard from an AMEX CSR that the new Amex SPG Luxury card will only be offered on the personal side. No way to upgrade the SPG Business card to the luxury card. Not good for me, as all of my purchases this year on the business card now won't count towards the $75K platinum status spend requirement...I'm a bit disappointed.

Regards.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:05 am

Isn't it normal that business cards can't be converted to personal cards?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Well the new offers are live and more or less the same as what they used to be. 75k/$3k spend for the personal, 100k/$5k for the biz. Now where is that Luxury card...
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Well the new offers are live and more or less the same as what they used to be. 75k/$3k spend for the personal, 100k/$5k for the biz. Now where is that Luxury card...
Apparently not coming out until the 26th, so that it won't be available until the new stricter signup bonus rules (taking effect on the 26th) are in effect.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:15 am

My SPG Biz Amex annual fee due in September. Should I keep it for free night, transfer ~170,000 SPG points to airline partner or just hold onto points?

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.