Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:44 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by kajaz
My SPG Biz Amex annual fee due in September. Should I keep it for free night, transfer ~170,000 SPG points to airline partner or just hold onto points?

thanks
These are not related questions. You could possibly cancel the credit card and you would still keep your SPG points -- unlike loyalty programs directly at the banks like Amex Membership Rewards or Chase Ultimate Rewards, your SPG points continue to exist independent of your credit card account.

That said, personally I think the free night justifies paying the annual fee, but up to you. And the transfer to airline option will remain exactly the same going forward -- your 170K SPG points will become 510K Marriott points, but either amount would transfer to 210K airline miles, so there's no urgency to transfer.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Apparently not coming out until the 26th, so that it won't be available until the new stricter signup bonus rules (taking effect on the 26th) are in effect.
VFTW reporting it'll be the 23rd. https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2018/08/02/new-starwood-luxury-card-launch-date-is-august-23/
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:24 pm

I also just confirmed with a CSR that it will drop on 8/23.

I'm hoping I can PC my Delta card over to it, but I'm not feeling positive on it: USA card product conversions...
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by kajaz
My SPG Biz Amex annual fee due in September. Should I keep it for free night, transfer ~170,000 SPG points to airline partner or just hold onto points?

thanks
I plan to keep mine through 2019 to see how the "off-peak/peak" plays out on free night usage.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 4:00 pm

Retention offer 20K points after $2K spend in 3 months

The annual fee on my SPG and my wife's SPG both posted in July. Cardholders since 2010. $6K last 12 mo spending on mine, $12K on my wife's. Called retention since we won't get a free night certificate for a year - both got offers of 20K points (I assume the "new" points) after $2K of spend in 3 months, or $75 credit after $2K spend in 3 months. Took the point offers and will re-evaluate keeping the cards next year afer we see how much "peak" pricing can impact/hurt the use of these free night certificates (based on future Flyertalk reports).
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

conversion supposed to happen aug 1
now aug 5 and i still have starpoints

maybe will be done closer to aug 18 ?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

I suppose so, assuming Marriott doesn't delay and change the date again.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's already been announced that all such SPG changes are happening exactly on August 18th. (There's a sticky thread about that date in the Starwood forum here on FT.) But beware: It's also been announced that there may be a Marriott/Starwood website "outage" of unknown duration starting on Aug 18 . (One may hope it would only last hours, but one can fear that it might last days.)
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you are saying they changed the long announced point conversion date?

wasnt long ago i got more emails from amex, and paper statement, saying aug 1 again

i was only referring to point conversion date, then referencing date everything else happens
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:09 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too

wasnt long ago i got more emails from amex, and paper statement, saying aug 1 again

i was only referring to point conversion date, then referencing date everything else happens
The Amex card started earning under the new scheme on August 1. Your existing Starpoints convert August 18. Pretty straightforward.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was Amex that implied both that its changes and SPG's changes would happen on Aug 1. I don't think SPG itself ever announced an Aug 1 date, it was only Amex. And Amex has no control over SPG, so they made a mistake in assuming it was going to certainly going to be Aug 1. (SPG and Marriott themselves for months had just been saying "August", with no specific day within August.)

The so the changes that Amex has control over (its own) still happened on Aug 1. The changes that SPG controls (its own) are happening on August 18. Amex will handle that by simply delaying transferring points (on accounts whose statements close between Aug 1 and Aug 18) until after Aug 18, since it won't be until then that SPG will be ready to receive the new points that Amex is already issuing.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
My wife and I have both had the personal SPG Amex for the past couple years, but considering dropping hers as she also has an AA card, and doesn't spend enough to justify two cards with an annual fee. Am I correct that she can transfer her points to my account for free? And I assume we should try to do this before the upcoming conversion to Marriott points?

I see the cards will start getting a free night each year but not sure that's enough to keep the card....
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

amex also stated aug 1 conversion date

they may have simply chosen to say that even if they knew it may happen in aug after that date

marriott may have changed date, and could theoretically change it again
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:34 pm

Anyone waiting for points to be posted on the spg account for statments closed after aug 1st. My statement closed on aug 3rd , and usually the points will be posted to my SPG account by 6th . But till now there is no sign of it. When checked with Amex , they told points are already in transfer pending state and nothing can be expedited from their side.

Anyone facing this issue ? I am planning on purchasing 1 more travel package , but the delay in posting the points concerns me.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:18 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
Anyone waiting for points to be posted on the spg account for statments closed after aug 1st. My statement closed on aug 3rd , and usually the points will be posted to my SPG account by 6th . But till now there is no sign of it. When checked with Amex , they told points are already in transfer pending state and nothing can be expedited from their side.

Anyone facing this issue ? I am planning on purchasing 1 more travel package , but the delay in posting the points concerns me.
Since points earned post Aug 1 are no longer “Starpoints” but Stariott “points”, they will not post until on or after Aug 18, after balances in SPG accounts have been converted to “points”.
sdsearch likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.