Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Existing and new SPG cards as of August 1 2018

The Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Card) $95 fee
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 2X Marriott Bonvoy points on all other eligible purchases.
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)

Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX Business Card) $95 fee ($125 starting from 3/28/2019)
  • 6X Marriott Bonvoy points on eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
  • 4X points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • Additional Free Night after $60K spend
  • Complimentary Silver Elite Status, with an opportunity to earn Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
  • 15 Nights Elite Credit (Non Stackable)
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card (Legacy SPG AMEX luxury card) $450 annual fee
  • 3X Marriott Bonvoy points at at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines.
  • $300 MARRIOTT BONVOY STATEMENT CREDIT each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
  • 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.
  • COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year
Print Wikipost

New and refreshed Amex SPG/Bonvoy cards - August 2018 & February 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by LAX
Now that the AF is being raised to $125, I am not sure if I want to keep it any more.
Your concern is premature. Your card will continue to be free for the remainder of the first year. The AF will be $95 for the second year. Only for the third year will the AF be increased to $125.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:06 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Your concern is premature. Your card will continue to be free for the remainder of the first year. The AF will be $95 for the second year. Only for the third year will the AF be increased to $125.
It is not clear what additional benefits are added for this AF raise. Earning one free room with spending? The spending is steep.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:53 pm

Will they send out new cards to replace our current cards or only when they expire?
I'd rather keep my purple card design and don't want to have to update card details.
miles4CDG likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by potm
Will they send out new cards to replace our current cards or only when they expire?
I'd rather keep my purple card design and don't want to have to update card details.
I believe they will send out the new cards. If you do not activate the new card, the old card will expire in 60 days and replaced with the new card. This is how AmEx handles physical card changes. The same with the Rose Card.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by RedSun
I believe they will send out the new cards. If you do not activate the new card, the old card will expire in 60 days and replaced with the new card. This is how AmEx handles physical card changes. The same with the Rose Card.
I presume the spend will carry over to the new card (for sign on bonus)

Also it looks like the new card has free Boingo access as a new benefit.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vincewy
I presume the spend will carry over to the new card (for sign on bonus)

Also it looks like the new card has free Boingo access as a new benefit.
All existing SPG cards have Boingo access. Nothing new here. All the new changes are mainly facelift. All card holders stay with Chase or AmEx. They just change the card name and fine tune some benefits. This is why they are not considered new cards or new accounts.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:15 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by mhdena
Are you going to close it tonight or in 9-10 months when the annual fee posts?
I will likely close the account when the new AF ($125) hits. Does the free night ecert usually get deposited early enough to get a full refund of AF?

Originally Posted by pallhedge
So no renewal at $125 until 2020? I guess I will keep it for at least another year then.

LAX

Last edited by LAX; Jan 25, 2019 at 5:46 pm
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX
I will likely close the account when the new AF ($125) hits. Does the free night ecert usually get deposited early enough to get a full refund of AF?
LAX
The current free night certs came available 6 to 8 weeks after the annual fee was billed. If you do a search in AMEX / SPG forum you could see the timeline. You either pay the AF so to get the FN, or cancel the card before AF is due and NOT to get the FN. AMEX is smarter than Chase who might eventually followed AMEX model which is actually not new because both Barclays and US bank only pay anniversary bonus 1 billing cycle after you pay the annual fee from the beginning they introduced cards with anniversary bonus.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:05 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
The current free night certs came available 6 to 8 weeks after the annual fee was billed. If you do a search in AMEX / SPG forum you could see the timeline. You either pay the AF so to get the FN, or cancel the card before AF is due and NOT to get the FN. AMEX is smarter than Chase who might eventually followed AMEX model which is actually not new because both Barclays and US bank only pay anniversary bonus 1 billing cycle after you pay the annual fee from the beginning they introduced cards with anniversary bonus.
Thanks for the info. I wouldn't mind paying the AF if it remains at $95. At $125, it's not worth it for me.

LAX
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:09 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
I guess I need to ask my question again...

If I do nothing, my SPG Luxe card AMEX will convert into the new Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant AMEX card. My concern is - Would that exclude me from applying for this card in the not-too-far-distant-future and getting the sign-up bonus? As far as I can tell, all the co-brand AMEX cards have a "you don't get the sign-up bonus if you had this card before" verbiage.
If it matters, I had the Chase Marriott card 3+ years ago, but won't be able to get another Chase card for another year or so...

So should I cancel my SPG before the February conversion? But risk the relationship with AMEX? On a tangential note, I think I'm already on AMEX's list - the last time I tried to apply for the Hilton Aspire (about 2-3 months ago), I got the dreaded pop-up. However, around the same time, I also got a mailer for the SPG Luxe for 100K points $5000 spend, with verbiage that seem to accommodate my situation, and the application link did not give me the dreaded pop-up... so I applied... today, I have the 100K points.

Last edited by mia; Jan 26, 2019 at 3:36 am Reason: Please read Flyertalk rule 16: https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by chunky649

If I do nothing, my SPG Luxe card AMEX will convert into the new Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant AMEX card. My concern is - Would that exclude me from applying for this card in the not-too-far-distant-future and getting the sign-up bonus?.....
The renamed card is not likely to be considered a new product. This means you are already ineligible because you have the product. No one will know for certain until the an offer appears for the renamed card, but the terms will likely disqualify current and former holders of the Luxury card, as well as holders of various Chase Marriott products.

Also, if you cancel any American Express card less than 12 months after issue they are likely to clawback the bonus.

Last edited by mia; Jan 26, 2019 at 7:56 am
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Looking for other datapoints...
I have the new SPG Luxe card that provides $300 credit on Marriott purchases. The verbiage is a little vague (which may be intentional...) but I read here that it can be applied to essentially all charges from Marriott.

Last week, I received an AMEX offer on their website - $40 credit for spending $200 at Courtyard. This is a 20% rebate! Since I won't be able to stay at a hotel before the expiration of this offer, I went to a local Courtyard hotel and brought a giftcard. Literally as I walk out of the hotel, I received an email from AMEX that I triggered the offer. The next day, I received the $40 credit in my account. That was great. However, I did not see any credit in my account for the annual $300 rebate credit... Reading the terms, it say 8-12 weeks. I'm wondering if this is realistic? or I need to actually go spend more money at a Marriott in my future hotel spending with this credit card...

I read up the thread and found a data point - it took the other person 2 days for the credit to show up after charge. For me, it is now day 3. My charge is labeled as "Courtyard Detroit MI". I may need to contact AMEX next week if I don't see the credit show up...

Edit: My credit posted today, but dated yesterday. So all in all, ~4-5 days from the transaction.
I assume that this a well know FT "hack" but I never thought of doing the Gift Card thing with all my hotel AMEX offerings

i received the above as well for my SPG Lux card.

In reading the the T&C, it specifically states "Not valid on Shop Courtyard or gift card purchases. Offer only valid on room rate and room charges."

is there a work-around, or just hit/miss on how the charges appear?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The renamed card is not likely to be considered a new product. This means you are already ineligible because you have the product. No one will know for certain until the an offer appears for the renamed card, but the terms will likely disqualify current and former holders of the Luxury card, as well as holders of various Chase Marriott products.

Also, if you cancel any American Express card less than 12 months after issue they are likely to clawback the bonus.
I don't think I ever kept an AMEX (various Delta and Hilton cards, and now SPG) past the first annual fee. I've never had my points clawed back... But anyway, I just read the "FAQ" on a popular travel blog today and realize that the "change" is really just a rename and rebrand of the various SPG and Marriott Chase and AMEX cards, so it is not a new product as you said. In that case, I agree that there is no point in cancelling now. I was thinking of past cases with Citi AA, Bayclay US Airways, etc.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by OneHourPhoto
I assume that this a well know FT "hack" but I never thought of doing the Gift Card thing with all my hotel AMEX offerings

i received the above as well for my SPG Lux card.

In reading the the T&C, it specifically states "Not valid on Shop Courtyard or gift card purchases. Offer only valid on room rate and room charges."

is there a work-around, or just hit/miss on how the charges appear?
I'm not sure it is a hack. I had double incentive to do so - there was an AMEX offer on the website where if I spend $200 or more, AMEX gives me $40 credit. I had 3 offers - Courtyard, Fairmount, and Something-Suite. I found 2 of those particular hotels near my house and brought a $200 giftcard from each. I received the $40 credit within ~3 days of posting, and the SPG LUXE credit about a day or 2 after that. The key was that the charge came from an actual Marriott property. I don't know if a hotel can separate the charge into different categories anyway.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:40 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mia
....Also, if you cancel any American Express card less than 12 months after issue they are likely to clawback the bonus.
I don't think I ever kept an AMEX (various Delta and Hilton cards, and now SPG) past the first annual fee......
Cancelling around the time the renewal fee posts seem to still be fine, that's a bit after the 12 month threshold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.