Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion Lounge DEN [Opened 1 February 2021]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2021, 12:16 am

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by lsquare
​​​​​​They're removing the airline credit from the Platinum? I thought it was only the Gold?
It was rumored in another thread, and it seems absent as a listed benefit from the page on the Amex website so I’m assuming it’ll be revamped this year.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
It was rumored in another thread, and it seems absent as a listed benefit from the page on the Amex website so I’m assuming it’ll be revamped this year.
That's news to me. I thought there was an announcement and it was only related to the Gold. Hopefully it won't be more useless credits or something hard to use. I'm ok with the airline credit.

Literally just timed this yesterday from a DEN UC to the Amex lounge in C. It was just under 12 minutes for me, so say 15 to call it safe if using a more leisurely walk.

Im debating whether it is worth it to get a Platinum card. Most of my connections are right around an hour, so this doesn’t really make too much sense for me. However, United is cutting back flights on my normal routes so my connections may become longer.

I really wish DEN still had a Priority Pass option.
Are you based in DEN? If so, how will you not get any value out of this? Just get the airport 3 hours early and you'll have plenty of time in the lounge. This is worth it for me as I visited SFO and HKG a lot.

That PP restaurant at DEN was pretty good, but the lineup can be quite long as everyone want their steak...

Originally Posted by seacarl
Except that the UC's are on the B concourse. So if you are short on time or connecting, the UC may be way more reasonable than train transfers to/from the C concourse and then the walk to the CL. I estimate that it's about 10 minutes each way, which includes 4 escalator rides, the wait for the train, ride time, and whatever walking is needed. So if originating in DEN, the penalty is probably only one 10 minute transfer (or if you happen to have an A-B transfer and a long layover). But if connecting within the B concourse and not on a really long connecting time, it's unlikely to be warranted or feasible to go over to the C concourse.
I get your point. The UC doesn't really have any real food. It's hardly worth my time if I want a bite. It's not bad to just sit and relax I guess.

Originally Posted by bxwatso
Yes. Most of the airports I visit will now have CLs, except for MSY. Pretty hard to justify a $450 UC card (chase) just to visit one lounge. I might wait to see how crowded it gets, but with COVID stuff, that might not be a concern before 2022. On the other hand, this might get UA to improve its services.
It's too bad that you don't fly DL. I read that the new DLSC have decent food ever since the new MSY opened.

I'll be shocked if UA get UC to be at parity with a Centurion Lounge.

Last edited by mia; Jan 23, 2021 at 5:00 am Reason: Consolidate consecutive replies
Old Jan 23, 2021, 12:48 am

That's news to me. I thought there was an announcement and it was only related to the Gold. Hopefully it won't be more useless credits or something hard to use. I'm ok with the airline credit.
Here you go. Just rumors at this point.
Amex Platinum reportedly considering changing ways to use $200 airline credit

Are you based in DEN? If so, how will you not get any value out of this? Just get the airport 3 hours early and you'll have plenty of time in the lounge. This is worth it for me as I visited SFO and HKG a lot.

That PP restaurant at DEN was pretty good, but the lineup can be quite long as everyone want their steak...
I’m not based in DEN, I transit through there every week albeit on United flights. I would have limited opportunities to use a CL elsewhere as my travel usually does not take me to an airport that has one available to me (I.E. the PHX one being in the wrong terminal).
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here you go. Just rumors at this point.
Amex Platinum reportedly considering changing ways to use $200 airline credit

I’m not based in DEN, I transit through there every week albeit on United flights. I would have limited opportunities to use a CL elsewhere as my travel usually does not take me to an airport that has one available to me (I.E. the PHX one being in the wrong terminal).
Once things get back to normal, is it possible for you to time your flights to get a longer layover? For me, when going home, I got plenty of time so if it doesn't cost me more money, I usually set the layover for as long as I could. Maybe other people won't agree with me, but after a long tpac flight, it's nice just to chill a bit at SFO before boarding another flight to go home.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 1:03 am

Once things get back to normal, is it possible for you to time your flights to get a longer layover? For me, when going home, I got plenty of time so if it doesn't cost me more money, I usually set the layover for as long as I could. Maybe other people won't agree with me, but after a long tpac flight, it's nice just to chill a bit at SFO before boarding another flight to go home.
I share the sentiment for longer flights, but my weekly trips are two 1.5 hour domestic hops. I value my time more outside of an airport, but I would certainly consider that idea if future travel schedules permit it.

When I’m going home, I’d prefer to get there at the earliest time possible. When I’m heading to where I work, I can be a little more flexible.

Interesting idea. If the Platinum still offered Delta lounge access without a Delta BP, I’d have gotten it over the United Club card.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I share the sentiment for longer flights, but my weekly trips are two 1.5 hour domestic hops. I value my time more outside of an airport, but I would certainly consider that idea if future travel schedules permit it.

When I’m going home, I’d prefer to get there at the earliest time possible. When I’m heading to where I work, I can be a little more flexible.

Interesting idea. If the Platinum still offered Delta lounge access without a Delta BP, I’d have gotten it over the United Club card.
What works for me may not work for you. I guess it really depends on what you're going to do outside of the airport. To be honest, I do this even on domestic flights. My very last trip was in late February 2020. I did a transcon from LGA and connected at DEN. I selected the option that would give me the longest layover time over at DEN since there was no extra cost. CL wasn't opened at that time, but I had the time and I worked from my laptop at the UC.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Id say for the most part yes, but I usually find myself with at least one three hour layover a month there. And like I said, that’ll probably be increasing with the United February schedule update.

I’m still mulling over the value proposition of the Platinum. Until they announce what the replacement for the $200 airline fee credit is, I’m holding off. I think I’ll wait to see how long the wait is to get into to the DEN CL as well 😁
​​​​​​They're removing the airline credit from the Platinum? I thought it was only the Gold?
What works for me may not work for you. I guess it really depends on what you're going to do outside of the airport. To be honest, I do this even on domestic flights. My very last trip was in late February 2020. I did a transcon from LGA and connected at DEN. I selected the option that would give me the longest layover time over at DEN since there was no extra cost. CL wasn't opened at that time, but I had the time and I worked from my laptop at the UC.
Not to mention that keeping a longer layover (if you can schedule / afford it) helps with any flight delays.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arshi007
Not to mention that keeping a longer layover (if you can schedule / afford it) helps with any flight delays.
There will always be people that say they got better things to do than spend time at the airport. They will try to give the impression that maybe they're too good or got money for better food than at the CL. They want it to be known. Just check out the threads on FT. There will always be that guy. It's like as if it's a bad thing if I want to grab a meal at the CL. Whatever. Guilty as charged! I definitely got my money's worth from my AMEX Platinum.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:05 pm

Id rather have a short connection and spend that time with my wife and son versus spend it at a CL. I can’t do any work remotely so having a space to work doesn’t really mean much to me either.

Like you said, we just have different needs.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Smile

There will always be people that say they got better things to do than spend time at the airport. They will try to give the impression that maybe they're too good or got money for better food than at the CL. They want it to be known. Just check out the threads on FT. There will always be that guy. It's like as if it's a bad thing if I want to grab a meal at the CL. Whatever. Guilty as charged! I definitely got my money's worth from my AMEX Platinum.
Id rather have a short connection and spend that time with my wife and son versus spend it at a CL. I can’t do any work remotely so having a space to work doesn’t really mean much to me either.

Like you said, we just have different needs.
I think the discussion is going a bit off topic. Lets bring it back to the thing we all AGREE on. When is the darn lounge going to open
Old Jan 27, 2021, 3:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, AA Platinum, United Silver
Originally Posted by arshi007
I think the discussion is going a bit off topic. Lets bring it back to the thing we all AGREE on. When is the darn lounge going to open
Every time I get an alert in this thread, I am hopeful there is news
Old Jan 27, 2021, 4:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by esc2476
Every time I get an alert in this thread, I am hopeful there is news
Same here, have another DEN trip 2/5-7 and hoping it'll be open by then.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Southwest A-List
Darn close

Lights are on and staff is busy. They were just practicing opening the doors and staff are also taking photos.
brc01, lsquare, cuthroat and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 4:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, AA Platinum, United Silver
Originally Posted by mloradites
Lights are on and staff is busy. They were just practicing opening the doors and staff are also taking photos.

I wonder if that was a media approval event of some kind? Sometimes TPG gets a first crack.
lsquare, cuthroat, DENDave and 1 others like this.

Last edited by mia; Jan 27, 2021 at 5:59 pm Reason: Remove quoted image
Old Jan 27, 2021, 4:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by mloradites
This is great news!

Last edited by mia; Jan 27, 2021 at 5:59 pm Reason: Remove quoted image,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.