Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

NYTimes: "Amex, Challenged by Chase, Is Losing the Snob War"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYTimes: "Amex, Challenged by Chase, Is Losing the Snob War"

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Troopers
Does anyone, I mean anyone, transfer to Marriott?
There would be two reasons why someone would do this:

1) The person is close to a lifetime status level. (Marriott counts all sources except, somewhat ironically, SPG transfers toward lifetime status.)

2) The person wants to do an air + hotel package. For example, up until earlier this year, the transfer to Southwest this way would count toward a Companion Pass.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
There would be two reasons why someone would do this:

1) The person is close to a lifetime status level. (Marriott counts all sources except, somewhat ironically, SPG transfers toward lifetime status.)

2) The person wants to do an air + hotel package. For example, up until earlier this year, the transfer to Southwest this way would count toward a Companion Pass.
I completely agree with you. There are scenarios where despite low redemption rates, meaningful value is achieved, and thus, those transfer partners are not awful.
Old May 18, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
It's awesome that you have found sweet spot redemption with Hyatt (but as you said, it's not always about inspiration travel a la WN) but that's not a consistent redemption. And you deflected my question, doesn't UR have awful transfer partners? UR having good travel partners doesn't preclude UR from having awful partners. What about the other UR transfer partners that you fail to mention? Wouldn't you say IHG, Marriott and others are awful?

Note, I don't think IHG and Marriott are awful transfer...I'm applying your MR logic to UR.

IHG? If you can tell me with a straight face that you've transferred UR to IHG I will concede the debate to you.

Does anyone, I mean anyone, transfer to Marriott? That is seriously awful.

See what I'm doing here...

Btw, ANA via MR is awesome too!

TPG values UR 0.2 CPP (or 10%) more than MR...I wouldn't classify that as SIGNIFICANT.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a MR fanboy nor am I a UR hater. I'm a CPC with many UR earning cards. As I said, I find UR and MR to be complementary. Both programs have their strengths and weaknesses.
Transfer to IHG and Marriott can be useful if you have not quite enough IHG or Marriott points for a redemption. For example I transferred 20k UR to Marriott in order to redeem a nights and flights package. At the time I had built up considerable Marriott points but knew I wasn't going to be staying in a while. I also needed United points. So I turned 20k UR and 250,000 "orphaned" Marriott points into 132,000 United Miles and a certificate for later use.
Old May 18, 2017, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jags86
Transfer to IHG and Marriott can be useful if you have not quite enough IHG or Marriott points for a redemption. For example I transferred 20k UR to Marriott in order to redeem a nights and flights package. At the time I had built up considerable Marriott points but knew I wasn't going to be staying in a while. I also needed United points. So I turned 20k UR and 250,000 "orphaned" Marriott points into 132,000 United Miles and a certificate for later use.

Exactly this. I've never transferred to Marriott because I just don't stay at their properties very often. I have transferred a few points to IHG to top off my account in anticipating of a big award. I did that for the Thalasso Bora Bora early last year.

Except for Hyatt, I agree that hotel partners are not great. But Chase still has Hyatt and Hyatt is excellent value, even if not redeeming for the PH Maldives. There are lots of other sweet spots.
Old May 18, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by jags86
Completely agree, good stuff.

Originally Posted by GeorgeLopez
Exactly this.
Yet MR to SPG at 3:1 (which is identical to UR to MR at 1:1) is awful?
Old May 18, 2017, 3:24 pm
Suspended

When I said "Exactly this," I was referring to IHG. You'll notice in my post I said I very rarely stay at Marriott properties.

Geez man!
Old May 18, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Yet MR to SPG at 3:1 (which is identical to UR to MR at 1:1) is awful? [/QUOTE]Isn't UR to MR 1:1 ?
Old May 18, 2017, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eajusa
Isn't UR to MR 1:1 ?[/QUOTE]

Example: 30,000 MR converts to 10,000 SPG points, which transfer back into 30,000 Marriott points. 30,000 UR = 30,000 Marriott points, so identical.

Nonetheless, when I said "exactly this" I was referring to the IHG top off which I've done on occasion, but pretty infrequently.
Old May 18, 2017, 3:42 pm

When I said "Exactly this," I was referring to IHG. You'll notice in my post I said I very rarely stay at Marriott properties.
Ok, but the OP was speaking to both IHG and Marriott, and you responded "Exactly this" to that statement.

Anyways, I think you're starting to agree with me Although some/most of the MR and UR travel partners are not high redemption values (eg. IHG and DL), there are situations where those transfer partners become useful/valuable and not awful. The more options the better.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Bottom line, while some of Amex transfer partners may not be ideal or suitable for you, they are for others. I don't understand the notion that if something is not good for you, it must not be good for everyone else.
Exactly, MR doesn't have a complete list of quality transfer partners, but I make use of Jet Blue, which is a partner SPG doesn't have.

Jet Blue is my airline of choice when flying to Florida or the Caribbean because of their simplicity, the fact that their check-in lines are smaller, their planes have more legroom, aren't always 100% full, etc. I also am more hesitant to ask for additional soda and snacks on other airlines whereas Jet Blue will gladly give me more.

Without MR to Jet Blue, I'd have to apply for the Jet Blue card through Barclays, which is something I really don't want to do.

For Delta, Amtrak, American Airlines, and most other airlines, I'd just transfer my Starwood points over. at 1:1.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: free agent
too easy to see why Amex is losing customers like me. They blocked transfer to Virgin Atlantic, then identify security team DEMAND me to go bank to get the form notarized as proof of identify. It's unacceptable that they are using cheap tactic to stall transfers by using 1990s security method.

I am going to burn rest of my remaining MR balances, then close it out and going to stay with Chase all the way.
Old May 19, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: free agent
Chase is the king and there are easy ways of getting around 5/24 which hurt some folks.
No question, and AMEX really fail massively at simple business 101 such as not making it PAIN to use their products. Fine with me if AMEX decide to lock me out from view my account, or USING their card... Amaze how they fail to realize why their ship is sinking!
Old May 19, 2017, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by washeelers747
No question, and AMEX really fail massively at simple business 101 such as not making it PAIN to use their products. Fine with me if AMEX decide to lock me out from view my account, or USING their card... Amaze how they fail to realize why their ship is sinking!
I would venture to say that most MR fans posting here have never had their points frozen. I suspect they will be singing a different tune once that happens.
Old May 20, 2017, 2:48 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by washeelers747
too easy to see why Amex is losing customers like me. They blocked transfer to Virgin Atlantic, then identify security team DEMAND me to go bank to get the form notarized as proof of identify. It's unacceptable that they are using cheap tactic to stall transfers by using 1990s security method.
Do you know why they blocked it? Did they give you a reason?

Amex has flaws, but pretty much everything they do is automated, so some flag must have gone up somewhere.
Old May 20, 2017, 9:28 am

I would venture to say that most MR fans posting here have never had their points frozen. I suspect they will be singing a different tune once that happens.
and NOW we more fully understand why you seem to have such an ax to grind and why you created an account for no reason other than to bash AXP.

Reading between the lines...if that happened to you, I am SURE that activities like you bragged about here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28317246-post11.html had NOTHING at all to do with their spidey senses going off...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.