Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

NYTimes: "Amex, Challenged by Chase, Is Losing the Snob War"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYTimes: "Amex, Challenged by Chase, Is Losing the Snob War"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JHake10
Yes, you're correct. I forget about that as it's useless for me. I was referring to a straight forward benfit like the CSR (bonus points regardless of booking channel).
Yah. And that is an issue for me. I don't want to book through them because I get no points benefits/status. It might as well be booking via Kayak from my experience. Sometimes it will register my status randomly but it's just not worth it. Should be 5x on 'travel'. Or shoot even 3x. Chase is doing it and I assume if Chase keeps 'winning' Amex will have to make the change.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jediwho
The 2x on Blue Plus for everyday spending, 4.5x on grocery spend on EDP and 5x on airfare with Platinum, I have moved most of my spending on Amex MR cards.
Let's not forget the EDP also carries a $95 AF, almost negating the 5% return on 2k of spend. For the EDP to be worthwhile, you'd have to spend between $2000-$6500 on grocery. $230 in profit if you buy $6500 in gift cards at grocery stores (if that works, not sure). That's a lot of gift cards.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:02 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Super Mario
.... EDP also carries a $95 AF....if you buy $6500 in gift cards at grocery stores ....
The EDP grocery category bonus is capped at $6,000 per year. The annual fee may be (partially) offset by a retention offer or by Amex Offers. Some Offers are available on a wide range of cards, including free cards, but others are more narrowly targeted and I may only see them on one card. I do not buy gift cards at supermarkets, but I do buy food.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
I do not buy gift cards at supermarkets, but I do buy food.
What a crazy concept! Does not compute.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Let's not forget the EDP also carries a $95 AF, almost negating the 5% return on 2k of spend. For the EDP to be worthwhile, you'd have to spend between $2000-$6500 on grocery. $230 in profit if you buy $6500 in gift cards at grocery stores (if that works, not sure). That's a lot of gift cards.
It has 4.5x on grocery (capped at $6,000), 3x on gas (no cap) and 1.5x on everything else. Also, I have almost always transferred Amex when they have a bonus transfer ratio. My last three transfers were to BA at 40%, VA at 30% and Hawaiian at 30%.. Between 2x for Blue Plus, 3x on gas (EDP), 4.5x on grocery (EDP) and 5x on airfare (Plat), I probably average 2.3x of MR per $ of spending. Throw in around 30% bonus for transfers and you are now approaching 3x -- equal to Barclays Arrival Premier, but with 1:1 transfer ratio and the same out of pocket annual fee. With Saks Fifth the out of pocket for Platinum is now around $50 if you max out all the reimbursements -- it is the cheapest and the most useful premium card out there..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.