Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

NYTimes: "Amex, Challenged by Chase, Is Losing the Snob War"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYTimes: "Amex, Challenged by Chase, Is Losing the Snob War"

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by michelle227
and NOW we more fully understand why you seem to have such an ax to grind and why you created an account for no reason other than to bash AXP.

Reading between the lines...if that happened to you, I am SURE that activities like you bragged about here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28317246-post11.html had NOTHING at all to do with their spidey senses going off...
He reminds me of another (banned) poster who ran off with MR points after an accounting mistake.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by michelle227
and NOW we more fully understand why you seem to have such an ax to grind and why you created an account for no reason other than to bash AXP.

Reading between the lines...if that happened to you, I am SURE that activities like you bragged about here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28317246-post11.html had NOTHING at all to do with their spidey senses going off...

On the contrary Michelle, I've never had my points frozen by AMEX. But I can tell you after the countless horror stories I've read, I certainly wouldn't be trusting of them, nor would I use AMEX as a "bank" for my points as so many do.

I also find it curious that you claim I'm a new member solely for the purpose of bashing AMEX yet you cite another non-AMEX related thread that I post in. And since it's obvious you're following all of my posts, you can clearly see that I participate in MANY non-AMEX related threads.

Hmmmmmm.
Old May 20, 2017, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by GeorgeLopez
On the contrary Michelle, I've never had my points frozen by AMEX. But I can tell you after the countless horror stories I've read, I certainly wouldn't be trusting of them, nor would I use AMEX as a "bank" for my points as so many do.

I also find it curious that you claim I'm a new member solely for the purpose of bashing AMEX yet you cite another non-AMEX related thread that I post in. And since it's obvious you're following all of my posts, you can clearly see that I participate in MANY non-AMEX related threads.

Hmmmmmm.
there is also stories of chase shut downs. citi shut downs. for every one shut down there are ten/hundred thousands of active account. no use worrying about any horror stories... waste of time if you are.
Old May 20, 2017, 5:11 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I think this picture posted on reddit (supposedly taken after a dinner out with a group of friends in NYC) speaks volumes:

http://www.reddit.com/r/churning/com...meet_but_your/

6 CSRs and one Amex
Old May 20, 2017, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gsxsilver
there is also stories of chase shut downs. citi shut downs. for every one shut down there are ten/hundred thousands of active account. no use worrying about any horror stories... waste of time if you are.
Chase shut downs are normally for legitimate reasons. AMEX has frozen points of quite a few innocent people (this is documented, not speculation).
Old May 20, 2017, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dw
I think this picture posted on reddit (supposedly taken after a dinner out with a group of friends in NYC) speaks volumes:

6 CSRs and one Amex
Yup
Old May 21, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by dw

6 CSRs and one Amex
As a vehement Chase hater (bad experiences with both personal and business accounts), it makes me sad to see this, and that CSR is beating Amex. Honestly, if I didn't have nonexistent trust in Chase, I'd have gone with it over Amex Platinum too, though. Especially since there was that 100k signup.
Old May 21, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dw

6 CSRs and one Amex
The real question is going to be, how many people keep the CSR once the 2nd annual fee posts? I mean with the 100k UR bonus that card was a no brainer for everybody to get.
Old May 21, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
The real question is going to be, how many people keep the CSR once the 2nd annual fee posts? I mean with the 100k UR bonus that card was a no brainer for everybody to get.
I couldn't agree more.

Chase has spent a lot of money acquiring customers with the CSR launch. Chase lost millions of $$$ late last year due to that. Chase is hoping to make the CSR profitable in the long run, but time will tell.

Chase is already concerned about people canceling the CSR. Recently, Chase implemented a $300 travel credit limit per account year, as opposed to calendar year. This was likely done because a material amount of CSR cardholders have been double-dipping on the $300 credit the first account year, and then cancel their cards before the annual fee renewal comes up. Chase wants to limit losses on future customers. It will be interesting to see what other benefits Chase curtails for the CSR going forward.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:33 am

I'm on the fence but leaning towards canceling and apply for the CSP. The CSR rentention thread will be interesting.

The NY Times article was premature.

Last edited by Troopers; May 21, 2017 at 9:41 am
Old May 21, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by drwilliams
Do you know why they blocked it? Did they give you a reason?

Amex has flaws, but pretty much everything they do is automated, so some flag must have gone up somewhere.
No idea. I think they are spooked by my recent link to VS, then request large transfer few days later. I was like, duh I want to take advantage of VS 30% bonus transfer. Serious AMEX account protection dude said "bonus isn't not important, and security is way more important" when I spoke my mind that AMEX ruined my chance to take advantage of VS bonus before deadline. I was like wow, you made no efforts to make customers feel welcomed.

Learn my lesson, and will burn MR points fast as I can, compare to UR.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I saw a stat awhile back where 75% or more used the 100k as cashback.

It will be a lot of defections.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:31 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by washeelers747
... tactic to stall transfers...
93,000 points is not a large transfer, and American Express doesn't have any particular motivation to stall transfers. In common with other issuers, American Express uses algorithms to flag potential instances of fraud. Something about your account triggered the request for identity verification which is discussed (in varying circumstances) here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ew-signup.html

The people you can speak with don't know why your account was flagged, and they don't have the authority to do anything other than process the documentation.

If you think it's different at other issuers bear in mind that Chase, Citi and US Bank's credit card operations are all run by people who likely were passed over for promotion at American Express. They don't seem to have much in the way of original ideas. If they see that American Express is reducing fraud by using a particular strategy we can can sure they will mimic it. ( I have already seen one report of Bank of America requiring a cardholder to visit a BoA branch to verify identity.)

Last edited by mia; May 21, 2017 at 11:49 am
Old May 21, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by dw

6 CSRs and one Amex
Maybe I am not the "interesting" millennial that the article refers to... or even hang out with any. But ever since said bloomberg article came out I tried to pay attention to card use within my circle of friends. Only manage to catch a glimpse of one CSR to date.
Old May 21, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I too suspect there will be a lot of defectors, but the point of the NYTimes article is that CSR is the new "cool card".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.