Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

NYTimes: "Amex, Challenged by Chase, Is Losing the Snob War"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYTimes: "Amex, Challenged by Chase, Is Losing the Snob War"

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mlin32
^Agreed with the above. I keep asking myself, if its worth racking up tens of thousands of points to transfer to an airline, if none of the transfer options are particularly appealing.

Given my location, I fly AA for most US flights. My OneWorld mileage is accrued in Finnair Plus, which isn't a transfer partner. Internationally the airline choice varies, but I don't spend enough on my credit cards to rack up the 50-60k needed for a Trans-Atlantic or Trans-Pacific flight. I don't fly DL, and I'm not interested in hotel rewards programmes aside from Accor.

So I always wonder if I should just use it for the rewards- the 1% redemption awards I can easily utilise, like rental cars and such. Because the mileage rewards just don't add up for me, unless I'm missing something.
This is one of the strong arguments for CSR which automatically gives you 1.5 CPP in a straight redemption. With the cheap airfares that float around there are instances where this can be quite a good deal (someone over in the UA forum was showing MIA - Europe at 26k UR round trip vs. 60k UA).

Citi also gives you the bump at 1.66 for AA until end of June and then 1.33 I believe after that.

Would be nice to see AMEX at least match that which they did with the rebate for Business Plat but Personal Plat for some reason didn't get that one
Old May 16, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GeorgeLopez
Most of AMEX's 20 options are worthless though. Plenti, SPG at a 3 to 1 ratio, Hilton, Choice Privileges, Virgin America at 2 to 1, Hawaiian Airlines, El Al Israel (are you kidding me?), Millemiglia (airline going bankrupt), Aeromexico.

Truly awful options right there.
Originally Posted by HomerJay
THIS! Used to be able to top off my mileage on just about every major domestic airline, but, one by one, they've fallen off the tree like autumn leaves. No more Southwest. Hell, not even Frontier any more.
Does it matter that most are inconvenient or poor value? All you need is a couple good ones to cash out those MR. My goto choices are Aeroplan and ANA.

Yes, I know Aeroplan is ending in 2020, but let's worry about that three years from now. In the meantime, there's no reason not to redeem for first/business class awards on *A partners through Aeroplan, at least the ones that don't have YQ surcharges.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
As a millenial who owns both the CSR and Amex Plat I find the benefits of both cards to not be overlapping and tremendous in their own rights.

To be able to access any Delta Skyclub and go to Las Vegas for practically free (FHR) benefits that alone makes the plat worth its weight in platinum.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by tennislover9
...who owns both the CSR and Amex Plat I find the benefits of both cards to not be overlapping and tremendous in their own rights.
Agree. I find the CSR and the Plat (and the Prestige) to be complementary, with their unique benefits offsetting their annual fees.
Old May 16, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Troopers
Agree. I find the CSR and the Plat (and the Prestige) to be complementary, with their unique benefits offsetting their annual fees.
I'm an older Millenial who holds both cards as well. While some features, such as Priority Pass, are duplicated, I do believe that each card provides value. The FHR benefit can be useful when one is traveling to a location without many chain hotels (or a lack of options among one's preferred hotel brand). I use the $200 credit to offset my Admirals Club membership, and I take Uber with enough frequency to make use of the $15/mo benefit.

However, I'd venture a guess to say that having both cards isn't that common among people our age. $1000 in annual fees is a lot of money to be paying simply to hold a card. If you're not using the benefits of the card, you'd be coming out ahead getting a low annual fee affinity card or no annual fee cashback card and using the savings on travel (or anything else that $1000 can buy).
Old May 16, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Majuki
However, I'd venture a guess to say that having both cards isn't that common among people our age. $1000 in annual fees is a lot of money to be paying simply to hold a card. If you're not using the benefits of the card, you'd be coming out ahead getting a low annual fee affinity card or no annual fee cashback card and using the savings on travel (or anything else that $1000 can buy).
Well said.
Old May 16, 2017, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
If you're not using the benefits of the card, you'd be coming out ahead getting a low annual fee affinity card or no annual fee cashback card and using the savings on travel (or anything else that $1000 can buy).
Well of course...that goes without saying.

Originally Posted by Duke787
This is one of the strong arguments for CSR which automatically gives you 1.5 CPP in a straight redemption.
Except that Chase (usually) charges a premium when redeeming at 1.5 CPP.

Last edited by Troopers; May 16, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Old May 16, 2017, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Explorer789
Does it matter that most are inconvenient or poor value? All you need is a couple good ones to cash out those MR. My goto choices are Aeroplan and ANA.

Yes, I know Aeroplan is ending in 2020, but let's worry about that three years from now. In the meantime, there's no reason not to redeem for first/business class awards on *A partners through Aeroplan, at least the ones that don't have YQ surcharges.

Well yes it does. I already have a TON of Krisflyer miles which I can redeem for all the Star Alliance partners so while Aeroplan is nice, it really doesn't do me a lot of good right now.

Outside of Krisflyer and Aeroplan, I don't have much of a desire to transfer. What I would like to see is more domestic airlines like Southwest.
Old May 16, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Well yes it does. I already have a TON of Krisflyer miles which I can redeem for all the Star Alliance partners so while Aeroplan is nice, it really doesn't do me a lot of good right now.

Outside of Krisflyer and Aeroplan, I don't have much of a desire to transfer. What I would like to see is more domestic airlines like Southwest.
Fair enough, there is always exceptions like yourself.

Strictly speaking, most people here don't really accumulate Krisflyer miles except when redeeming for SQ itself, because Krisflyer is more expensive for *A awards. This makes Aeroplan the better choice for *A awards (alternatively United MileagePlus if you have Chase UR).
Old May 16, 2017, 4:06 pm

What I would like to see is more domestic airlines like Southwest.
Jetblue, Virgin America and Delta.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Virgin America is 2:1 and terrible value.
JB has very limited routing.
Delta skypesos? No thanks.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Explorer789
Fair enough, there is always exceptions like yourself.

Strictly speaking, most people here don't really accumulate Krisflyer miles except when redeeming for SQ itself, because Krisflyer is more expensive for *A awards. This makes Aeroplan the better choice for *A awards (alternatively United MileagePlus if you have Chase UR).
Well Aeroplan is going away in 3 years (maybe less).
Old May 16, 2017, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Except that Chase (usually) charges a premium when redeeming at 1.5 CPP.
Where is Chase charging a premium? I've never found the Chase travel portal to be charging a premium vs. google.com/flights or direct from the airline website and the 1.5 CPP is valid as long as your CSR is open (or 1.25 CPP if you only have a CSP).
Old May 16, 2017, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
Where is Chase charging a premium? I've never found the Chase travel portal to be charging a premium vs. google.com/flights or direct from the airline website and the 1.5 CPP is valid as long as your CSR is open (or 1.25 CPP if you only have a CSP).
There have been a handful of comments on here and on Reddit about flights being more expensive via the portal vs booking direct. It's definitely not every flight and is isolated issues from what I read. I personally haven't seen it, but then I also don't redeem UR via the travel portal.

Here's one thread from yesterday: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...dia-sites.html
Old May 16, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
What about the excise taxes that AmEx passes on to the customer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.