Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

NYTimes: "Amex, Challenged by Chase, Is Losing the Snob War"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYTimes: "Amex, Challenged by Chase, Is Losing the Snob War"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Not to pick on you, but United really isn't the best airline to fly with (in my opinion). I'd rather fly with American, Delta, or Jet Blue whenever I can. I found some great deals on American Airlines first class tickets (paid with points) from JFK to LAX, but it's too bad AMEX doesn't transfer to AA, and it's also too bad AA seems to be so heavily partnered with Citi Cards.
That's your preference. To me, it mostly depends on where I am going and who has the best prices. For example, anyone will have a hard time beating UA for ORD-SFO, but I would fly DL or AS for ORD-SEA.

Secondly, transferring UR points to UA's program does not mean you have to fly on UA metal. It gives you access to book awards with any of their Star Alliance partners (e.g. LF, TK, LX, OZ, BR, NH, etc). Most of these will offer better flying experiences than UA on the same international routes with lots of saver award availability and booking can all be done directly through the website. If AA had the same type of deal with TYP transfers, then it would give me something to think about.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
To be fair to AMEX, they still have the second or third best customer service in the industry. The top three are most certain Discover, AMEX, and Chase.

AMEX has been the only company to offer me 1,500 points for a simple inconvenience like not being able to ship me a contactless card ASAP, return money to me for not being happy with Pizza Hut, and reimburse me (price protection) for a wallet I bought about a month ago that broke so I can purchase a new one.
Amex beats chase in customer service. You don't like what you bought, amex will give your money back. Want to use your extended warranty on the item you smashed with a hammer, fill out the form online, no worries. Your expensive hotel room wasn't too your liking, we'll take their money and give it to you. Amex almost always sides with the customer. Chase not so much, they'll follow the terms. If amex had trip delay protection, I'd use that too much on my flights.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Explorer789
That's your preference. To me, it mostly depends on where I am going and who has the best prices. For example, anyone will have a hard time beating UA for ORD-SFO, but I would fly DL or AS for ORD-SEA.

Secondly, transferring UR points to UA's program does not mean you have to fly on UA metal. It gives you access to book awards with any of their Star Alliance partners (e.g. LF, TK, LX, OZ, BR, NH, etc). Most of these will offer better flying experiences than UA on the same international routes with lots of saver award availability and booking can all be done directly through the website. If AA had the same type of deal with TYP transfers, then it would give me something to think about.
Saying UR is better because you can transfer to united and you only fly united and partners is the same as saying Mr is better because you can transfer to Delta and you only fly Delta.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:20 am

For so many reasons...

First, 3X dining/travel with CSR is far more flexible than 3X airlines/hotels and 2X dining for Prestige. Travel includes everything from parking to bus pass to rideshares. More purchases that trigger 3X, faster the points accumulate.

Second, TYP in general is harder to redeem for travel since it is mostly transferable to individual airline programs. UR->United is considered a better option because it basically gives you access to the entire in Star Alliance through a single program.
MR to AC is an even better option for star alliance.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
No question, parts of Asia are much more likely to accept Amex than most of Europe.

I think it still has some cache in Asia, where in Europe, they aren't too keen on the word "American" in there, especially these days.
What? That entire thing doesn't make sense.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by hiima
Amex beats chase in customer service. You don't like what you bought, amex will give your money back. Want to use your extended warranty on the item you smashed with a hammer, fill out the form online, no worries. Your expensive hotel room wasn't too your liking, we'll take their money and give it to you. Amex almost always sides with the customer. Chase not so much, they'll follow the terms. If amex had trip delay protection, I'd use that too much on my flights.
I wish they did, or at least have cancellation insurance on PRG and Plat. I live in the snow belt and would be pretty irritated if I lost my flight tickets and money because of a 3 day snow storm.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:12 am

Unfortunately, this isn't as true as it once was. One of the reasons that I started looking at the CSR was because AmEx denied a pretty cut-and-dry dispute. It's the first dispute that I lost. Then, they did it again with something else. One of my best friends closed his AmEx after they failed to resolve a couple of issues for him. For years, they sided with the customer and I never had an issue, but I'm hearing of more stories now where they're siding with the merchant.

Also, it is increasingly difficult to speak with an actual person when you call AmEx. Chase has remedied that. The featured article largely discusses why AmEx is losing millennial customers to Chase. For those of us that want convenience and flexibility (like millennials), Chase is becoming the better option.

A group of my friends recently discussed the fall of the traditional country club at dinner. We're all either Gen X or millennials. AmEx came up at the same dinner and most people are either paying with hotel cards or Chase (CSP or CSR). Will AmEx Plat accompany the fall of the country club? I will admit that I like having the silver card in my wallet (it looks good), but it isn't worth it for me to have it anymore. I don't fly enough and I live in a small equestrian town that is only serviced by two airlines. I don't have the option to fly with Singapore Airlines regularly, for example. AmEx Plat will either be the travel card for people that frequently travel or the status card for people that want the silver show, but I can't imagine that occasional luxury travelers like myself will continue to carry it with the CSR beating it in terms of routine benefits.

*note that I said "routine benefits" because it does still have some benefits over the CSR, especially when traveling with certain airlines and the 5x credit. If you book with FHR, though, you can't use points (at least that's what I was told recently) and you don't get the 5x points on those bookings.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Forgive me my ignorance; I have never had TYP card. But looking at the TYP transfer partners, there are at least two *A programs included (EVA and Singapore Airlines). So shouldn't you have access to the same inventory as with United? (more ignorance alert: I don't know how much they charge in comparison to UA for award trips)
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:10 pm

MR to AC is an even better option for star alliance.
Simply no. MR to AC is a valid redemption route if you don't want to use any of the other transfer partners, even ANA. There's plenty of FT threads that compare AC to UA, and almost all of them will favor UA.

When booking awards, you want maximum flexibility with the fewest restrictions and cash payment. UA has no fuel surcharges ever and taxes are less. Whereas with AC, half of them have the surcharges. Furthermore, UA tends to have significantly better availability than AC.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:22 pm

Simply no. MR to AC is a valid redemption route if you don't want to use any of the other transfer partners, even ANA. There's plenty of FT threads that compare AC to UA, and almost all of them will favor UA.

When booking awards, you want maximum flexibility with the fewest restrictions and cash payment. UA has no fuel surcharges ever and taxes are less. Whereas with AC, half of them have the surcharges. Furthermore, UA tends to have significantly better availability than AC.
I understand the flexibility and surcharges, UA wins there. But, they share the same partner inventory. So availability is the same unless it's UA metal.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Forgive me my ignorance; I have never had TYP card. But looking at the TYP transfer partners, there are at least two *A programs included (EVA and Singapore Airlines). So shouldn't you have access to the same inventory as with United? (more ignorance alert: I don't know how much they charge in comparison to UA for award trips)
Yes, you can book with other *A partners, but the redemption rates are higher than UA in general. There might be some sweet spots where they cost about the same, but in general SQ miles will get best value for SQ metal.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:33 pm

I understand the flexibility and surcharges, UA wins there. But, they share the same partner inventory. So availability is the same unless it's UA metal.
I like UA because it is the one program where what you see on the website is basically everything that is available for booking with partners, except SQ awards.

Even if it is the same, the number of options you see on AC website always seems less. Like recently I ran a search for ORD-BKK on both sites and AC only showed a few options while UA showed more than a dozen saver options for business.

AA is even worse since they don't show any partner awards. You have to use the other sites like BA and then call AA to book. It's extra work and time is money.

So bringing it back to the topic of Amex, best redemption for MR (at least my plan for it) is to use their exclusive partners, like ANA, Emirates, JAL, maybe even Etihad, to fly first class.

Last edited by Explorer789; Apr 22, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:48 pm

I like UA because it is the one program where what you see on the website is basically everything that is available for booking with partners, except SQ awards.

Even if it is the same, the number of options you see on AC website always seems less. Like recently I ran a search for ORD-BKK on both sites and AC only showed a few options while UA showed more than a dozen saver options for business.

AA is even worse since they don't show any partner awards. You have to use the other sites like BA and then call AA to book. It's extra work and time is money.

So bringing it back to the topic of Amex, best redemption for MR (at least my plan for it) is to use their exclusive partners, like ANA, Emirates, JAL, maybe even Etihad, to fly first class.
I'm certain that the awards showing available on UA but not on AC are phantom availability. Also, UA partner award rates are really high.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:23 pm

I'm certain that the awards showing available on UA but not on AC are phantom availability. Also, UA partner award rates are really high.
I've booked many awards over the years and never had an issue with phantom availability. Whatever is there has always been bookable.

Sure, if you book the full award rate, they are very expensive and horrible value (I have never paid full rate for an award). But there almost always saver awards to fly on partners, even a month or two before departure date, and these rates are extremely competitive with the other *A programs. 50-60k to Europe on LH/LX/TK/etc and 80k to Asia NH/OZ/BR each way in business is tough to beat, especially with how easy Chase UR is to accumulate with daily expenses. With that said, if I were to recommend someone to put all their spend on group of cc's, it would be with Chase.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
UA does have excellent award space. While you may be able to save a few points on partner first class by going through Aeroplan, these have high fuel surcharges witch UA doesn't tack on. Also, if you have status with UA you can change/cancel awards for little charge or free as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.