Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

NYTimes: "Amex, Challenged by Chase, Is Losing the Snob War"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYTimes: "Amex, Challenged by Chase, Is Losing the Snob War"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
do any other issuers allow the kind of spending that amex charge allows?
I'm sure it's possible to get to the point they offer but by default I don't think so.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:40 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
The article really should be saying what ALL AMEX Plat owners are thinking: is this giving me value?

This is the first year since I had the Plat that I don't feel it is giving me value for the cost.

As a Canadian card holder, I pay $699 and get a $200 travel credit which has to be used by buying a ticket through Amex Travel. I book all my hotel stays direct, same with rental cars. I prefer to book flights direct as well as it makes booking seats easier. It was a pain to use the credit last year. I predict it will be a pain to use it this year. Shouldn't benefits be CONVENIENT?

I have to pay 2.5% forex fees and they have horrible overall rates. This has led to me paying about $700 to AMEX this year that if I had free forex fees I could save.

I use SPG gold to get Marriott gold, and do about 15-20 stays a year. I value the lounge access at about $25 a stay usually. I used to use PP lounge a lot...lately I am flying business so I get lounge access anyways. So I use PP about 4 times, which is maybe $100 of value.

Flight insurance is the main reason I keep AMEX. I got burned before using my visa with less comprehensive flight insurance, so AMEX it is - the thing is I have never had to use the insurance in the 3-4 years I've had the card...so the value of paying $699 each year plus what I do in forex fees is adding up to not really be worth it.

AMEX needs to offer more: more vendors, more benefits, better retention offers.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Earlier this year, they had a targeted offer (2x points back over $5k individual charge)

Luckily for this millennial's seven-figure business, my charges are almost exclusively over 10k 😂

4% back for travel on spend that, at most gets 2.5% on other cards- Yeah, I'm sold.

For the record, no one ever notices my BPlat, but they love the CSR- guess it's the metal.
You lucky sob!

The article really should be saying what ALL AMEX Plat owners are thinking: is this giving me value?

This is the first year since I had the Plat that I don't feel it is giving me value for the cost.

As a Canadian card holder, I pay $699 and get a $200 travel credit which has to be used by buying a ticket through Amex Travel. I book all my hotel stays direct, same with rental cars. I prefer to book flights direct as well as it makes booking seats easier. It was a pain to use the credit last year. I predict it will be a pain to use it this year. Shouldn't benefits be CONVENIENT?

I have to pay 2.5% forex fees and they have horrible overall rates. This has led to me paying about $700 to AMEX this year that if I had free forex fees I could save.

I use SPG gold to get Marriott gold, and do about 15-20 stays a year. I value the lounge access at about $25 a stay usually. I used to use PP lounge a lot...lately I am flying business so I get lounge access anyways. So I use PP about 4 times, which is maybe $100 of value.

Flight insurance is the main reason I keep AMEX. I got burned before using my visa with less comprehensive flight insurance, so AMEX it is - the thing is I have never had to use the insurance in the 3-4 years I've had the card...so the value of paying $699 each year plus what I do in forex fees is adding up to not really be worth it.

AMEX needs to offer more: more vendors, more benefits, better retention offers.
Points aside. I'm up $800 ($1250 -$450 fee ) from US benefits.

I think just like the CAD right now AMEX CAD is in the tank.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Seen it discussed a little. Is the MR points just really slow to post? I got my initial spend and posted. No sign up bonus. No points for any of the spend itself. What is the 'normal' speed of giving out the points? Sounds like it might be monthly on billing?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Seen it discussed a little. Is the MR points just really slow to post? I got my initial spend and posted. No sign up bonus. No points for any of the spend itself. What is the 'normal' speed of giving out the points? Sounds like it might be monthly on billing?
In general... if it's your first Amex MR account, sign up points will take an extra month to become available, so they'll be available after your May closing date. Points based off purchases will be "pending" for 1 month. My Platinum statement just closed yesterday, and with that the points from my March statement became available today. Amex Offers and retention offers tend to post within a few days of you meeting the requirements and aren't tied to statement dates.

It's kind of annoying because it makes it harder to track, but I have a high enough MR balance that I've never found myself waiting for points to post.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
In general... if it's your first Amex MR account, sign up points will take an extra month to become available, so they'll be available after your May closing date. Points based off purchases will be "pending" for 1 month. My Platinum statement just closed yesterday, and with that the points from my March statement became available today. Amex Offers and retention offers tend to post within a few days of you meeting the requirements and aren't tied to statement dates.

It's kind of annoying because it makes it harder to track, but I have a high enough MR balance that I've never found myself waiting for points to post.
Not the 'first' but first recently so likely the story here. Thanks.
Old May 15, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Millennial here... admittedly I have not read through the entire thread, but a few things (in no particular order) struck me as odd.

1. I've never even thought that a credit card could be "showy" or "pretentious"... It's a credit card, not a Ferrari...
2. I never got the impression that AMEX was marketed toward "the affluent" or that it had a reputation of being a difficult card to qualify for... I do not consider myself affluent, but was approved for an AMEX Platinum.
3. Do people actually brag about what lounges they can access? Why?
4. I'm happy with the AMEX benefits. That said, I think they could probably make the benefits a little easier to use (lump sum for the Uber credit, no "fee" restriction for the travel credit, etc.).
5. Acceptance is a noticeable issue, but not a huge one... I have a MC which I use if AMEX is not accepted.
6. I have to think financially illiterate millennials are a minority... surely being responsible for one's own finances is a common thing. If not, I apologize for the stupidity of my generation.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kb9522
Millennial here... admittedly I have not read through the entire thread, but a few things (in no particular order) struck me as odd.

1. I've never even thought that a credit card could be "showy" or "pretentious"... It's a credit card, not a Ferrari...
2. I never got the impression that AMEX was marketed toward "the affluent" or that it had a reputation of being a difficult card to qualify for... I do not consider myself affluent, but was approved for an AMEX Platinum.
4. I'm happy with the AMEX benefits. That said, I think they could probably make the benefits a little easier to use (lump sum for the Uber credit, no "fee" restriction for the travel credit, etc.).
5. Acceptance is a noticeable issue, but not a huge one... I have a MC which I use if AMEX is not accepted.
6. I have to think financially illiterate millennials are a minority... surely being responsible for one's own finances is a common thing. If not, I apologize for the stupidity of my generation.
Numbers 1 and 2 were definitely true among some cardholders at one time years ago.
Numbers 4 and 5, especially 4 are often reasons people restrict their use of their Plat card or cancel their accounts eventually.
As to number 3 I have no idea.
And as for number 6, you are not stupid; millennials probably run the gamut from financial experts to novices.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
For the life of me, I will never understand why so many "educated" people use debit cards.

I don't want anyone who may steal my wallet or use a skimmer to have direct access to my money/bank account.
I feel the same way. If a credit or charge card is compromised, the thief has stolen from the bank. If a debit card is compromised, then my money is gone, until I get the bank to accept fraud report and undo it. Meantime, I may bounce a check or not be able to get cash that I need.

And, that's not even mentioning the most important reason to not use a debit card: they don't rack up frequent flyer miles.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Handcake
We have a tendency to think that if we are having a problem then everyone else must be having the same problem. Amex plat is the only card to date that pays me an $50 annual fee from easily quantifiable benefits. So no, I am not asking that question.

Being toward the older side of millennial...
1. I do agree that card shouldn't showy, but yet people do take notice (even plastic plat).
2. Statistically wise, I would believe plat is harder to get then the run of the mill card. But the gap is probably not really notable.
3-4. I like lounge access, not sure if I would brag about it. Any card could probably improve their benefits, but hey, not going to complain too much.
5. Never had an acceptable issue outside of costco.
6. Not sure how true this is considering... "According to a recent SurveyMonkey report undertaken on behalf of investing app Acorns, almost half of Millennials have spent more money on coffee than on retirement investing."
Old May 15, 2017, 11:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat

1. It's only pretentious if you openly brag about it. Most people who own supercars like Ferrari are actually pretty down to earth people who have worked hard and are self-made individuals. It might be showy, but it's just an unintended byproduct of having the things that you care about.
2. I can't imagine anyone other than the affluent (i.e. educated middle class or higher) and business travelers than can justify the $450 AF. Sure, these days college students are getting these cards, but the true long-term cardholders are usually those that make decent money.
3. Most people have never been in one, so mentioning that you have lounge access might be a talking point for some people when they share their travel experiences. Again, same as one, you only look stupid if you brag about it.
4. Same. I'm okay with the benefits. I think Amex is not done adding stuff.
5. I agree for the most part. Most big chain places have no issues. It's mostly the small business and family-operated restaurants that might reject amex. Same with overseas travel.
6. I think you are confusing financial illiteracy/competency with budgeting. Most millennial are perfectly capable of budgeting their paycheck and making that money last each month. Beyond that, majority save very little and barely know the basics to credit cards, retirement, etc. Not many people can even explain how credit card interest works.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
Count again.
  • Amex: 20 transfer partners
  • Diners: 20 transfer partners
  • Citi: 14 transfer partners
  • Chase: 10 transfer partners

Most of AMEX's 20 options are worthless though. Plenti, SPG at a 3 to 1 ratio, Hilton, Choice Privileges, Virgin America at 2 to 1, Hawaiian Airlines, El Al Israel (are you kidding me?), Millemiglia (airline going bankrupt), Aeromexico.

Truly awful options right there.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by GeorgeLopez
Most of AMEX's 20 options are worthless though. Plenti, SPG at a 3 to 1 ratio, Hilton, Choice Privileges, Virgin America at 2 to 1, Hawaiian Airlines, El Al Israel (are you kidding me?), Millemiglia (airline going bankrupt), Aeromexico.

Truly awful options right there.
THIS! Used to be able to top off my mileage on just about every major domestic airline, but, one by one, they've fallen off the tree like autumn leaves. No more Southwest. Hell, not even Frontier any more.
Old May 16, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: FB Gold
^Agreed with the above. I keep asking myself, if its worth racking up tens of thousands of points to transfer to an airline, if none of the transfer options are particularly appealing.

Given my location, I fly AA for most US flights. My OneWorld mileage is accrued in Finnair Plus, which isn't a transfer partner. Internationally the airline choice varies, but I don't spend enough on my credit cards to rack up the 50-60k needed for a Trans-Atlantic or Trans-Pacific flight. I don't fly DL, and I'm not interested in hotel rewards programmes aside from Accor.

So I always wonder if I should just use it for the rewards- the 1% redemption awards I can easily utilise, like rental cars and such. Because the mileage rewards just don't add up for me, unless I'm missing something.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:18 am

Yes, some partners have been lost or reduced value over the years, but boy, if you cannot find great value with MR points, you are seriously doing something wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.