Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

MR USA: 40% transfer bonus to British Airways 12.15.2014 to 1.31.2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Which Membership Rewards to BAEC transfer bonus pattern do you prefer?
One 40% transfer bonus per year (e.g. 2014)
90.30%
Three smaller (20%, 30%, 35%) bonuses per year (e.g. 2013)
9.70%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
On January 28, 2015 British Airways announced changes to Executive Club earning and redemption charts which will affect the value of Avois points.

Click here to join the discussion in the BAEC forum: Executive Club Changes
Print Wikipost

MR USA: 40% transfer bonus to British Airways 12.15.2014 to 1.31.2015

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, British Airways, Alaska
Have you tried searching Qantas?

According to this handy article qantas.com shows Cathay awards.

http://travelisfree.com/2014/12/02/m...-availability/
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
...Asia Miles account (which they want a $50 fee to join). Any thoughts?
My thought is that you were looking at enrolling in Marco Polo Club, which is Cathay Pacific's status program. Join Asia Miles here:

https://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/abou...Aright=JoinNow
Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: MileagePlus Platinum, SkyMiles Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Bonus match?

Question for the group -- I transferred MR points to BA less than a week before the 40% bonus was announced. Transferred 80k --> 80k. To get to the same 80k with the bonus would have only required 57.2k (rounded to 58k).

Do I have any recourse with Amex? I would think they would treat the situation similar to when a sign-up bonus is increased with similar timing, in which they would (likely) match the bonus.

I'm not looking for additional BA miles -- would just love the 22k MR point difference credited back.

Any suggestions as to how to frame the argument with Amex when I call them? Or am I simply out-of-luck?

Follow up: I spoke to Amex a third time (the first two went nowhere) and because of my "11 year history" etc. etc., they gave a 16k MR credit back to my account. All things considered, not a bad outcome.

Last edited by bfinkie99; Jan 16, 2015 at 8:48 am
Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by bfinkie99
Question for the group -- I transferred MR points to BA less than a week before the 40% bonus was announced. Transferred 80k --> 80k. To get to the same 80k with the bonus would have only required 57.2k (rounded to 58k).

Do I have any recourse with Amex? I would think they would treat the situation similar to when a sign-up bonus is increased with similar timing, in which they would (likely) match the bonus.

I'm not looking for additional BA miles -- would just love the 22k MR point difference credited back.

Any suggestions as to how to frame the argument with Amex when I call them? Or am I simply out-of-luck?
Highly unlikely, but as the say goes..."You never know unless you ask." I would not approach it as an argument (but that might not be the intended meaning of your word here.) I think you might have better luck, albeit slim chances of succeeding, posing it as a polite request. Do you have a long history with Amex? Lots of spend? If so, work that into your request.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: MileagePlus Platinum, SkyMiles Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyaxa
Highly unlikely, but as the say goes..."You never know unless you ask." I would not approach it as an argument (but that might not be the intended meaning of your word here.) I think you might have better luck, albeit slim chances of succeeding, posing it as a polite request. Do you have a long history with Amex? Lots of spend? If so, work that into your request.
Exactly how I approached it. I started with "I know it's a longshot, but..." and went from there. Third time was apparently the charm.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by bfinkie99
Exactly how I approached it. I started with "I know it's a longshot, but..." and went from there. Third time was apparently the charm.
Well done!
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
In case anyone cares, this year is the first time (I'm fairly sure) that you can transfer to non-US BAEC accounts. In previous years there in the T's and C's you could not associate a non-US BAEC account to a US Amex MR account. But now it works and I did a transfer witht the 40% bonus that instantly showed up in my French BA account. ^

Just bought a CX F ticket.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:32 pm

Recently applied for Biz Gold MR, meet spend 75K pending but cant push points

Guys,

Applied/approved for Gold Biz MR card and met 10K spend to get 75K bonus. Points were pending right after spend was met, I have paid off full amount. Statement closed on 16th. I chatted 5 times and all said they cant push it.

I have a friend who did the same thing but was able to push through his points somehow.

Any suggestions? I was really looking forward to the BA 40% transfer.

Any thoughts/experiences?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:41 pm
mia

To accelerate posting of points I would call on the telephone, on a business day (not Saturday, Sunday or a Federal holiday such as Monday 1.19.2015), during normal Eastern Time Zone business hours. I would explain that you want to transfer the points to British Airways, and are working against their deadline.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by mia
To accelerate posting of points I would call on the telephone, on a business day (not Saturday, Sunday or a Federal holiday such as Monday 1.19.2015), during normal Eastern Time Zone business hours. I would explain that you want to transfer the points to British Airways, and are working against their deadline.

Thanks MIA, I was able to do this about 2 years ago. When chatting earlier this week during EST, they said they would if they could that their system does not have the option to push it through. Do you think that is true that their systems actually changed? I recall this used to be really simple.

Any department/specific number I should be speaking to?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: SPG,Marriott,Hilton,Delta,US airways,Hyatt,Fairmont,American A,Priority Cub,Discovery,etc
40% to Avios

Agreed that this is best use of a lowly 11,000 Amex MR points at this time? Comments? Not really seeing any other great value.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:02 pm
mia

Originally Posted by ddavid1101
... When chatting ...
If you mean the online Chat system, that service "may" be outsourced with access to a subset of the most frequently used functions. I don't normally like to use telephone calls for business transactions, but this is one of the exceptions where it can prove helpful to press just enough to get it done. You know someone "can" do it, and you have earned the points by paying the statement balance.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
I think this 40% bonus came at the perfect time. I transferred 100K miles to BA and I was going to leave 70K on my MR account incase I need some "push" miles for my other FF account. Then I was given an opportunity to join my friend's account as AU. He's in the military so he doesn't pay annual fee. So I transferred the rest of my miles with less than 200 MR left (has to do it in 1000 increment) and closed out the account. My annual fee is coming up too so thank you BA! :-:
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by ddavid1101
Thanks MIA, I was able to do this about 2 years ago. When chatting earlier this week during EST, they said they would if they could that their system does not have the option to push it through. Do you think that is true that their systems actually changed? I recall this used to be really simple.

Any department/specific number I should be speaking to?
I just called in (again) to the Business Platinum card services line to attempt to accelerate the posting of my MR bonus for my new card. I've called 3 or 4 times and all of the reps I've spoken with have told me that they're unable to accelerate the bonus points. The most recent call offered a little more information-- the rep conferred with a MR supervisor who told her that the AMEX MR folks won't accelerate MR points (bonus or otherwise) for an accountholder with fewer than 6 previous posted statements.

That doesn't make a ton of sense to me, but it seems that is the policy now.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by mia
Avois need not be used for transatlantic flights operated by BA.

Some alternatives:

Domestic USA flights operates by Alaska Airlines or American Airlines. BA prices each segment separately by distance, the best value is a non-stop flight in coach.

Transatlantic flights operated by Aer Lingus or Air Berlin. (Note that transatlantic flights operated by American Airlines are subject to the same fees as flights operated by BA itself.)

Read here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...os-2014-a.html
I'm pretty ignorant about these programs. Thanks for posting this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.