Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

MR USA: 40% transfer bonus to British Airways 12.15.2014 to 1.31.2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Which Membership Rewards to BAEC transfer bonus pattern do you prefer?
One 40% transfer bonus per year (e.g. 2014)
90.30%
Three smaller (20%, 30%, 35%) bonuses per year (e.g. 2013)
9.70%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
On January 28, 2015 British Airways announced changes to Executive Club earning and redemption charts which will affect the value of Avois points.

Click here to join the discussion in the BAEC forum: Executive Club Changes
Print Wikipost

MR USA: 40% transfer bonus to British Airways 12.15.2014 to 1.31.2015

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Short haul flights within Europe on BA come under "Reward Flight Saver", with the taxes and fees capped at £35 for a return. If you're connecting to/from somewhere else in the UK, the London-there leg is free. I'd suggest this HeadForPoints article as a good intro to both
Reward Flight Saver (RFS) on eligible routes is not applicable to all BAEC accounts, or at least it wasn't before. RFS required some BA activity IIRC -- but perhaps transferring in points is currently all that is required to qualify for RFS (which would cover all of us here transferring MR to BAEC. Some of the older BAEC accounts I access have not qualified for RFS on the very same routes that qualifies with a "more" active BAEC account.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 19, 2014 at 1:28 am
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
I took Aer Lingus business class BOS-DUB last year and while I wouldn't say it is "crap", it certainly is not up to par with most international carrier J service... but it is much cheaper too! Aer Lingus business class is pretty much the same as domestic F on US carriers. But I guess if you are coming from the west cost via BOS the price is about the same as US carriers USA-Europe.

Originally Posted by fayewolf
Home from SFO- i know there is SFO-DUB via aer lingus, but their business class seat is crap? I also was not able to find any award seats first half of 2015 for business class by looking at Quantas (not member of expert flying and UA is not letting me search )

My main destination is Europe or asia , any suggestions? I'm really hoping to only travel on business class
EI (Aer Lingus) is really only a "great" value if you are based in BOS, or on the east coast where you can get to BOS on the cheap.

From SFO, (or west coast), you have to figure in the cost to get to BOS, then if your final destination is not DUB, you have that cost too. So by the time you go SFO-BOS, then add DUB-XXX, you are probably paying the same or more as you would pay booking some other US carrier SFO-XXX

Last edited by bajrbajr; Dec 19, 2014 at 10:53 am
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Robl
Avios are actually quite valuable. Suppose you want to go JFK-LHR (a very popular route). On BA you'd pay exorbitantfees. Instead book JFK-DUS. You'll find an AB flight for just 20K avios and fee of $5! The next morning take a BA saver fare from DUS to LHR for just 4500 avios and very low fees. I'm going to jump on this offer.
I do short haul or (or medium to Miami) from NYC on Avios at least once a month but had not thought of getting to London via AB until this. Thanks for the tip!

It is a little annoying that Boston is one level closer to Dublin than New York...
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: 1k MM, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold, IHG Sphire, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Carson Gold
I signed up for an BA account but in looking for award flight I dont find much is that because I dont have miles in there yet/
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Living at a US hub, I have been waiting for this too and now I have to figure out how much to transfer. The concerns:

1 - devaluation of miles - in another thread, someone said that the IB version of Avios has devalued recently and wonder if it will expand to the BA version

2 - change fees - while much better than US, it has gone up

3 - baggage fees / hassle getting US/AA FFP# inserted into the PNR and get them to waive baggage fees based on AA/US elite or credit card membership

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
3. I've had very rare problems with getting the bag fees waived based on my AA elite status. Somehow or another I or airline staff have entered my AA number into my BA-issued award travel reservations for the AA flights and waive the fees. The problem in this regard is so very rare for me that I would be surprised if/when I'm hit with this again.

Devaluation concerns have me more concerned than change fee concerns -- but that is primarily a result of my booking most award travel well within 24 hours of flight's scheduled departure time.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:28 pm

can i transfer only once or multiple times? i want to test the xfer using a small amount and wanted to verify whether multiples are allowed or not.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:46 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by troyhouse
... multiple times? ....
Yes. Scroll back to post 53.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanking God I spend 10K in 2 weeks on my new BRG. I'll get my 85K points just before this promo expires.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:50 am

I live in dallas, does it make more sense for me to do this transfer or go with singapore airlines?
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by maloy
I live in dallas, does it make more sense for me to do this transfer or go with singapore airlines?
If you plan to do a lot of flights within the US, I'd say go with Avios. DFW is AA hub and it would be more "miles efficient" to redeem on nonstop AA flight thru BA Avios, even better on shorter segments.

For example, DFW-ATL/ORD/MIA is 15K r/t with Avios and you're flying AA vs 25K r/t if you were to redeem thru AA directly.

Want a weekend trip to New Orleans? DFW-MSY is only 9K Avios

Other example, DFW-LAX/JFK/SEA/SFO is 20K r/t

ps: Now I feel like moving to Dallas
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:35 pm

Transfered over to CX for 2 F TPE-HKG. 27,000 Avios for both.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 6:12 am

I live in NYC. I usually fly Delta, but AA has a hub at JFK. I just received my 100,000 MR point sign up bonus.

Worth it to transfer my MR points to Avios in this case, or wait for other bonus transfer offers? I usually fly domestic, but have some international flights planned next year.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 2:09 pm

Does anybody know when this 40% transfer expires?
Old Dec 25, 2014, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Does anybody know when this 40% transfer expires?
Apparently the person who started the thread knows and put it in the title

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.