Wiki Posts
Search

Is the Amex Plat Worth the Annual Fee?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
For me, the Platinum card is worth it just for lounge access. I travel enough domestically and internationally to want it, but no longer have elite status anywhere and generally fly in Y. I mean, on my Europe trip next week I'll hit 5 lounge visits courtesy of the Platinum card/PP - none of which I'd access otherwise. I had 3 on my last intl trip and 2 the one before that. Even valued conservatively at $15/visit that alone nearly takes care of the post airline fee credit value.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by medichill
Excellent customer service, AMEX Offers ($95 so far this year for me) and Small Business Saturday events ($15 so far but $30 more coming up after Thanksgiving), Hertz Gold status, Concierge service (good success the couple times I used it plus they saved my group almost $6K on a hotel booking), 5% off FedEx (very significant for my small business), Boingo wifi access, SPG Gold (free breakfast and wifi, bonus Starpoints).

There are others, but these are the ones that I use. Worth every penny of the $450 to me. And I can buy almost anything I need for my business with no hassle or thinking about a credit limit.
Free breakfast? I don't think I received this benefit at the W...
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
This is exactly what I'm doing. A blog post that I found about the one that was offered a couple of years ago said that it excluded people with gold cards though, which worries me because I have a PRG. I only got it because it had the fee waived for the first year and a reasonable standard sign-up bonus (25k). I figured that it would be good to use while I waited for the 100k Plat offer. If it prevents me from getting it, I'll be upset.

I really hate all these cat and mouse games with credit card bonuses. I wish I could just call them and negotiate a deal with them. I'd be completely fine with a higher spend -- I'm not planning on churning here.
I only have the plat because it was free for the first year. I would have loved the 100k offer, but I took 25k with not annual fee.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Do I really need to cancel the PRG in order to get a Platinum with a sign-up bonus?
No.

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer.
This language has been around for a few years, and is seldom enforced. (I am not convinced that it is ever really enforced, but if a new account bonus fails to post some CSR's may cite it as an explanation.)

If you are patient an upgrade bonus offer will appear on your Gold card account, but most likely it will be less than 40,000 points.

1. Do you want to hold Platinum in addition to Gold, or replace Gold?

2. Do you need only one Platinum Card, or supplementary cards for others?

3. Do you intend to keep the Platinum Card for more than 12 months?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
1. Do you want to hold Platinum in addition to Gold, or replace Gold?

2. Do you need only one Platinum Card, or supplementary cards for others?

3. Do you intend to keep the Platinum Card for more than 12 months?
1. I would probably want to replace the PRG.

2. Just one.

3. I plan to keep it for a long time, assuming that the benefits remain valuable.

The problem is that other cards give me much better rewards, so that is where the majority of my spend will go, but I want to hold the amex for all the benefits. So, while I will keep it and pay the AF, I may not spend much on it, and I may cancel if I find that I don't use the benefits as much as I expect to.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:18 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
2. Just one.
I would consider applying for the Business Platinum Card, rather than the personal card. See this thread for guidance on obtaining a 100,000 point bonus:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...eted-amex.html

Owning a business isn't as important as a strong credit history. Banks like to issue business cards to individuals, because the merchant transaction fees are higher and the consumer protections are less. This isn't very important if you are primarily holding the card for lounge access and other benefits. If your circumstances change, it is very expensive ($300 per year) to add a supplementary Platinum Card to a business account.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Owning a business isn't as important as a strong credit history. Banks like to issue business cards to individuals, because the merchant transaction fees are higher and the consumer protections are less. This isn't very important if you are primarily holding the card for lounge access and other benefits.
I don't really understand this. I just went to the page to apply for the Business Gold Card with the 50k bonus. I wasn't actually planning on applying; I just wanted to see how the signup flow worked.

The first thing that it asks for is business information. Legal Business name, industry type, company structure, etc, etc. You can get out of giving them a tax ID number if you say that the company structure is a sole propriotership, but if you don't actually have a company registered in the name that you give, it seems that there is no way to accurately fill out the information on this form. I'm not a lawyer, but lying to obtain credit sounds like a bad idea.

Is there a way to sign up for the business cards without providing business information?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I don't really understand this. I just went to the page to apply for the Business Gold Card with the 50k bonus. I wasn't actually planning on applying; I just wanted to see how the signup flow worked.

The first thing that it asks for is business information. Legal Business name, industry type, company structure, etc, etc. You can get out of giving them a tax ID number if you say that the company structure is a sole propriotership, but if you don't actually have a company registered in the name that you give, it seems that there is no way to accurately fill out the information on this form. I'm not a lawyer, but lying to obtain credit sounds like a bad idea.

Is there a way to sign up for the business cards without providing business information?
If you occasionally sell some stuff on eBay, that would count as a business activity that you could theoretically want to separate on to a business credit card. It is a sole proprietorship with your SSN as Tax ID and that's about it.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gooselee
If you occasionally sell some stuff on eBay, that would count as a business activity that you could theoretically want to separate on to a business credit card. It is a sole proprietorship with your SSN as Tax ID and that's about it.
I didn't know much about sole proprietorships, so I did a bit of research.

It seems like the main consequence of having a sole proprietorship is that you have to pay self-employment taxes on whatever the business earns (over and above regular income taxes, you have to pay both halves of social security and medicare. Also, some states have almost punitive self-employment taxes)

Telling Amex that you have a sole proprietorship for the purposes of obtaining credit, and then telling the IRS that you don't seems like a bad idea.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I didn't know much about sole proprietorships, so I did a bit of research.

It seems like the main consequence of having a sole proprietorship is that you have to pay self-employment taxes on whatever the business earns (over and above regular income taxes, you have to pay both halves of social security and medicare. Also, some states have almost punitive self-employment taxes)

Telling Amex that you have a sole proprietorship for the purposes of obtaining credit, and then telling the IRS that you don't seems like a bad idea.
What if your sole proprietorship makes no money, or operates at a loss?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:58 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
I was sent a Platinum card in the early 90's since my monthly spending and prompt payment due to heavy travel and an expense account qualified me. Back then, it seemed like the perks of Platinum were good. If I'm not mistaken, it was by invitation only. I seem to recall using the card to get in to quite a few Airline Clubs without joining, by just showing my ticket and the card. I used their Concierge a lot from buying box seats at baseball games to hiring a Chauffeur. Traveling internationally it also came in handy.

I started my own business in 2001 and the card seemed OK for a while. The yearly fee was a tad steep in my opinion, and after a while, I seemed to loose perks. I was lulled away by my Bank's Platinum Business Card (non Amex). No yearly fee and the perks seemed about the same. I've been happy.

My S.O. Still has her Platinum Amex and has also felt that the advantages lately have been lacking. Perhaps it's just the economy, the sign of the times, or the fact that WAY more people have a Platinum card now. I don't know. I know that I'm very happy with my Bank's Platinum Business Card, and that She is fairly happy with her Amex Platinum. To each, their own.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which bank? I'd be very interested in a card that gives similar perks to the Amex Platinum card with no annual fee...
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:25 pm

Which bank? I'd be very interested in a card that gives similar perks to the Amex Platinum card with no annual fee...
The Ameriprise Amex Platinum card has no fee the first year.
https://www.ameriprise.com/cash-card...an-express.asp
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Robl
The Ameriprise Amex Platinum card has no fee the first year.
https://www.ameriprise.com/cash-card...an-express.asp
That is only for one year though. And no 40k MR welcome bonus? I'd rather have 40k MR pts than $450 (although, it's close)
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:53 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gooselee
What if your sole proprietorship makes no money, or operates at a loss?
I'm not a tax expert, but after a few years at a loss, the IRS may consider the business/sole prop a hobby which has different tax consequences.

As to whether or not the plat is worth it, I'll be renewing in March. With my travel and spend pattern, the benefits outweigh the cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.