Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the Amex Plat Worth the Annual Fee?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by steve4
I think you can get this with the Starwood card as well. I just used it last week for this.
The Delta Platinum Amex also has the free Shoprunner membership.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
The Delta Platinum Amex also has the free Shoprunner membership.
Really? Wow I did not know that...

And btw how do you get access to delta lounges? Do you have to be travelling on delta?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lotrbfme
...how do you get access to delta lounges? Do you have to be travelling on delta?
With which card? If you are asking about the Platinum Card which is is the topic of this thread, yes you must be flying on Delta. If you are asking about the Platinum Skymiles credit card, Skyclub access is not included, but you do receive a discount on purchase of a single visit pass.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by steve4
I think you can get this with the Starwood card as well. I just used it last week for this.
I activated it with my Blue card... it's not a very special thing. Though I was somewhat irritated my last Dominos order didn't "meet the stores delivery minimum" so I wound up just driving my hungover soul to the store to pick up my pizza.

Though as I've mentioned it up thread, I think the Plat card offers good value if you utilize the lounge access.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:31 pm

I just received my first "Departures Magazine" via postal mail. I opted out of postal mail advertising last month. I don't know if this complementary magazine counts as an advertisement.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
The Amex Plat comes with free shoprunner membership which will give you free delivery on Domino's pizza. If you order 200 pizzas a year you can break even
You also get shoprunner with the everyday card (no AF)
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:04 am
mia

Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
I don't know if this complementary magazine counts as an advertisement.
It is probably classified as a benefit. The magazine is no longer owned by American Express.

I don't see the point of opting out of any type of email. It is very easy to create filters with (for example) Gmail to automatically file them. I don't have to ever see them, but if I read about an offer that does interest me I can search for it.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I activated it with my Blue card... it's not a very special thing. Though I was somewhat irritated my last Dominos order didn't "meet the stores delivery minimum" so I wound up just driving my hungover soul to the store to pick up my pizza.

Though as I've mentioned it up thread, I think the Plat card offers good value if you utilize the lounge access.
Shoprunner is now a benefit of many Amex cards, I believe.

It's a nice way to avoid shipping charges from a bunch of online stores, but don't expect the 2-day delivery to be as reliable as Amazon Prime. Last couple purchases I made took upwards of a week to show up - the Shoprunner stores are still allowed to build in any amount of "processing" time they want, and the 2-days is only guaranteed from the time it leaves them to the time it reaches you, and does not include any weekend days.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
My year is up around the 20th of this month. I've been bus plat for a while and in some years, have spent the qualifying amount for the centurion card (business expenses). I don't use the centurion lounge, since like others, I live in Dallas and usually arrive at or around the time my flight is boarding. The Gogo benefit is worth nothing for me as I pay the annual membership. I don't get anywhere close to reimbursable fees (I don't have fees) from any airline.

I will call to downgrade. I could probably be coerced into keeping it another year if they offer a point bonus for a spend. We'll see.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:35 pm
mia

Originally Posted by txpenny
... I don't get anywhere close to reimbursable fees (I don't have fees) from any airline....
You could buy AA gift cards, as explained here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-aa-only.html
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by mia
You could buy AA gift cards, as explained here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-aa-only.html
I thought I read somewhere that the gift cards were no longer reimbursable.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Click on the thread discussion for the respective airlines on FT and you'll see many people who reported reimbursement for their GC purchase, up to $200/year.

Though last year I got $200 airline incidental plus another $200 on AA, so $400 GC's altogether
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:41 am
mia

You may have read that gift cards are explicitly excluded in the terms. The thread that I linked shows you the reality.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
I just got some credits earlier this week. Works like a charm.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by mia
You may have read that gift cards are explicitly excluded in the terms. The thread that I linked shows you the reality.
I also just received a reminder email of all the benefits to renew. From the email:

• Airport lounge day-passes
• Checked bags
• In-flight refreshments
• Flight-change fees
• Overweight/oversize baggage fees

The Flight-change fee might be worth it. Do you have to pay for the original ticket you are changing with AMEX or just the change fee?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.