Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the Amex Plat Worth the Annual Fee?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CRAZ8
The standard 'refer-a-friend' bonus is 40K miles after 3K spend.
But, isn't that just the same as the regular sign-up bonus?

Last edited by mia; Nov 28, 2014 at 3:34 am Reason: Prune quotation
Old Nov 29, 2014, 3:30 pm

After 1 month of use, my vote is "absolutely not". In particular, Boingo kills my phone battery. Also, I didn't find a Boingo option in Charles De Gaulle two weeks ago, despite the promise on the website. The "no foreign transaction fee" hasn't worked out in my favour, and my card was twice called in for fraud protection after making foreign transactions. The business class companion ticket doesn't make economic sense. I can't bring a guest to the Priority Pass lounges without paying 27 USD. I would rather sit with my companion in an airport restaurant.

Last edited by GarlicFlyer; Nov 29, 2014 at 3:36 pm
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
After 1 month of use, my vote is "absolutely not". In particular, Boingo kills my phone battery. Also, I didn't find a Boingo option in Charles De Gaulle two weeks ago, despite the promise on the website. The "no foreign transaction fee" hasn't worked out in my favour, and my card was twice called in for fraud protection after making foreign transactions. The business class companion ticket doesn't make economic sense. I can't bring a guest to the Priority Pass lounges without paying 27 USD. I would rather sit with my companion in an airport restaurant.
Re: Boingo - how does that kill your phone battery any more than any other wifi hotspot? And IIRC at CDG, you just connect to the airport wifi, then select Boingo as the roaming partner and log in.

How has the no-FTF not worked out in your favor? If you were erroneously charged a FTF, that is absolutely something Amex should correct quickly if you call in. If you fly with the same companion a lot, it may make sense to secure an additional card for them so they get their own PP.

Or, this particular set of benefits may just not be the best match for you. Which is also perfectly fine.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Re: Boingo - how does that kill your phone battery any more than any other wifi hotspot? And IIRC at CDG, you just connect to the airport wifi, then select Boingo as the roaming partner and log in.

How has the no-FTF not worked out in your favor? If you were erroneously charged a FTF, that is absolutely something Amex should correct quickly if you call in. If you fly with the same companion a lot, it may make sense to secure an additional card for them so they get their own PP.

Or, this particular set of benefits may just not be the best match for you. Which is also perfectly fine.
The Boingo app loads from boot on my android phone. Android reports it as the top battery user even when I am not trying to connect. My phone battery was at 0% after 12 hours; I uninstalled the app.

At Charles de Gauille, I did not find Boingo in Terminal 2F as of last week.

On the No Foreign Transaction Fee, I am currently comparing against similar "fee free" Visa and Mastercards. The transactions will post tomorrow. On the lounge access, well, I don't see the value in paying 175 USD for an additional card just for lounge access . I would rather just go to an airport restaurant.

In my experience, the Platinum is not worth the annual fee, not even close.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:40 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
The Boingo app loads from boot on my android phone. Android reports it as the top battery user even when I am not trying to connect.
At most locations it is not necessary to use the Boingo application to connect.

Last edited by mia; Dec 3, 2014 at 7:32 am
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
My experience with Boingo has been mediocre at best. I get kicked frequently, and the speeds leave a bit to be desired. I'm probably going to have to cancel this card when the fee kicks in. I do enjoy upgraded National Status and liked the Global Entry applicatoin fee credit.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mia
At most locations it is not necessary to use the Boingo application to connect.
This. I have never installed the Boingo app and use the service frequently (most often at EU airports).

The card isn't for everyone, and it's perfectly understandable to spend your $175 on airport restaurants vs. lounge access for your companion (particularly if you often travel with different companions).

Net result: makes great sense for some, less for others. YMMV.

Last edited by mia; Dec 3, 2014 at 7:32 am
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:54 pm
Original Member

Platinum member for 20 years and, yes, the fee pays off for me. Routinely book FHR with the excellent bennies (early checkin, late checkout, included breakfast, often $100 credit for food, occasional upgrade). $200 annual refund for airline fees. Now, Centurion lounge at SFO.

The free biz/first companion international airfare can be difficult to use pragmatically. Last summer, despite booking ten months in advance, we could not get nonstops in and out of CDG from SFO. Instead we were routed outbound through Salt Lake City (!) and the connect time was only 65 minutes. Inbound we were to have connected through Amsterdam.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:47 pm

Just got back from a long international trip, really loved having the Amex Platinum as my card of choice:

- Centurion lounge access at LGA and SFO now, I believe MIA and Seattle are in the works as well
- Global Entry and TSA Precheck are so awesome
- $200 reimbursement for airline fees
- No foreign transaction fees
- Boingo wireless access (although I agree the connection speeds and stability are subpar)
- SPG Gold status
Old Dec 3, 2014, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KatW
The free biz/first companion international airfare can be difficult to use pragmatically. Last summer, despite booking ten months in advance, we could not get nonstops in and out of CDG from SFO. Instead we were routed outbound through Salt Lake City (!) and the connect time was only 65 minutes. Inbound we were to have connected through Amsterdam.
Out of curiosity, how did this fare compare to just purchasing discounted F/J? Every time I've checked, just purchasing two discounted fares turned out cheaper than the full-flex fares that are required to be eligible for the companion program.

I suppose this works well if you are already purchasing full F/J for work or something...
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My plat card fee is due this month - i believe i can pay it and still cancel for full refund in january after claiming 2015 airline credit - can anyone confirm?
Thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
My plat card fee is due this month - i believe i can pay it and still cancel for full refund in january after claiming 2015 airline credit - can anyone confirm?
Thanks!
There have been many reports of people getting any airline credit that they claimed deducted from their fee refund. I'm not sure how uniformly this is enforced though.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
There have been many reports...
I recall seeing such reports for the Canadian Platinum Card, but not the USA card. However, as a married person I have learned that my memories are frequently flawed .
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by darrvao777
Just got back from a long international trip, really loved having the Amex Platinum as my card of choice:

- Centurion lounge access at LGA and SFO now, I believe MIA and Seattle are in the works as well
- Global Entry and TSA Precheck are so awesome - $200 reimbursement for airline fees
- No foreign transaction fees
- Boingo wireless access (although I agree the connection speeds and stability are subpar)
- SPG Gold status
But you only need to pay for GE/PreCheck once every five years! So for 4 out 5 years that's not a benefit of the card you can actually use!

Thus on average it's worth $20 a year. Whoppee.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But you only need to pay for GE/PreCheck once every five years! So for 4 out 5 years that's not a benefit of the card you can actually use!

Thus on average it's worth $20 a year. Whoppee.
Excellent point here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.