Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the Amex Plat Worth the Annual Fee?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
We've booked three cruises in the past year (two on X and one on RCCL). We did the Cruise Privileges on the first one, but probably only "saved" less than $50 because we had to pay a higher rate to get the benefits.

For the other two cruises, the promos the cruise line were offering were worth more than the Amex benefits, and they were not combinable. So we didn't get ANY value out of Amex CP. In my view, it's sort of become like the IAP, useless in most cases...
It depends on the rate you are getting. The current "exciting deals" rate on X can be combined, but if you get the 123go! promotion, then it can't be combined. Our TA called to verify and they did say that few actually take advantage of the Amex program.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:28 pm

Delta Charging for Guests in Lounge

I have had the AMEX platinum for years, justifying the annual fee to myself largely because of access to airline lounges. I recently tried accessing a Delta lounge at LAX only to learn that I could not bring my 9 year old daughter inside with me without paying a $29 fee. Since I live in ATL, Delta access is most important to me. I was very frustrated by this new fee. I realize this is primarily a Delta issue (nickel and diming), but it definitely takes some of the "lustre" off of the platinum card.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk....

Originally Posted by rjamesii
... Delta lounge at LAX only to learn that I could not bring my 9 year old daughter inside with me without paying a $29 fee....
Delta's policy changes was discussed in this thread when it was announced:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-1-2014-a.html
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: Citi TY, Amex MR, Chase UR, Choice CP, Marriott MR, AGR, RapidRewards
Originally Posted by Tummy
I have the $475 Mercedes Benz version of the card. A couple days ago we just booked two last minute Thanksgiving cruises on Celebrity and got more than the annual fee back with just two purchases. We have been cruising 2-3x per year lately.
http://www.americanexpress.com/cruiseprivileges
Are the cruise amenities only for the Personal Platinum or can you also get them with the Business Platinum?

@henrythefourth
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by henrythefourth
Are the cruise amenities only for the Personal Platinum or can you also get them with the Business Platinum?

@henrythefourth
I think you can also get them with the Business Platinum.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:50 pm

Cruise benefits are a joke. Cruises commission out 17% plus other goodies to agents. Do the math. If you think Amex is giving you value than do the math again and find another agent
Old Nov 16, 2014, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
Cruise benefits are a joke. Cruises commission out 17% plus other goodies to agents. Do the math. If you think Amex is giving you value than do the math again and find another agent
I did the math.

You don't have to book through Amex to get the Plat benefits and they can be combined with your regular TA perks. I think that's where most people might be confused about the benefit and it sounds like you are as well.

On a $1,800 cruise all in, I got $300 OBC from our agent, plus $200 OBC and other goodies from Amex. Altogether that's at least a 27% "rebate". If I didn't use my Plat Amex I would have only received the $300 OBC from the agent, which is already 17%.

On our second cruise next week, it was a low category so we got only $100 OBC from Amex plus goodies and nothing from the agent. But the cabin cost $199 pp so I didn't expect much.

I'm sure the agent is still making money and I'm ok with that, they are a business.

I'm not saying that it works every time on every cruise line, but for us, we get more than the annual fee back every year considering we take 2-3 cruises and other short vacations a year. If you're not able to get the math to work, then maybe you are doing it wrong. It's free money, since I would have the card anyway, just have to remember to use it.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by medichill
Excellent customer service, AMEX Offers ($95 so far this year for me) and Small Business Saturday events ($15 so far but $30 more coming up after Thanksgiving), Hertz Gold status, Concierge service (good success the couple times I used it plus they saved my group almost $6K on a hotel booking), 5% off FedEx (very significant for my small business), Boingo wifi access, SPG Gold (free breakfast and wifi, bonus Starpoints).

There are others, but these are the ones that I use. Worth every penny of the $450 to me. And I can buy almost anything I need for my business with no hassle or thinking about a credit limit.
SPG gold does not get free breakfast. It has the least value compared to Marriott and Hilton gold.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
The 5% off at fedex is capped at a maximum of $1,000 ($20,000 in charges).
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Tummy
I did the math.

You don't have to book through Amex to get the Plat benefits and they can be combined with your regular TA perks. I think that's where most people might be confused about the benefit and it sounds like you are as well.

On a $1,800 cruise all in, I got $300 OBC from our agent, plus $200 OBC and other goodies from Amex. Altogether that's at least a 27% "rebate". If I didn't use my Plat Amex I would have only received the $300 OBC from the agent, which is already 17%.

On our second cruise next week, it was a low category so we got only $100 OBC from Amex plus goodies and nothing from the agent. But the cabin cost $199 pp so I didn't expect much.

I'm sure the agent is still making money and I'm ok with that, they are a business.

I'm not saying that it works every time on every cruise line, but for us, we get more than the annual fee back every year considering we take 2-3 cruises and other short vacations a year. If you're not able to get the math to work, then maybe you are doing it wrong. It's free money, since I would have the card anyway, just have to remember to use it.
Do the cruise benefits come automatically once you charge it on the Platinum card or do you have to call AMEX customer service and let them know ?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by steve4
Do the cruise benefits come automatically once you charge it on the Platinum card or do you have to call AMEX customer service and let them know ?
Your travel agent needs to call AMEX. They should know how to do it.

AMEX cruise benefits can be hit or miss depending on cruiseline offered perks that may not be combinable, but I've had good luck. Last cruise, I had to choose between 2-category upgrade worth $400 via AMEX or $25 from Celebrity Cruises. That was a no brainer.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by medichill
SPG Gold (free breakfast and wifi, bonus Starpoints).
Originally Posted by presario1626
SPG gold does not get free breakfast. It has the least value compared to Marriott and Hilton gold.
Both free breakfast and free wifi are benefits only of SPG Plat, not SPG Gold.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...efits.overview

All SPG Gold gets is extra points, an enhanced room (ie, limited upgrade), and late checkout. And other than the extra points, you can get those benefits with SPG Preferred Plus, with the $65 SPG Amex, or even just AAA membership.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eajusa
I keep an Excel spreadsheet with columns for 1. Annual Fee 2. $ Saved w/ date and benefit noted and 3. A running balance. The balance of course has to stay a negative amount to demonstrate any real benefit to me. This way, as things change I can keep ahead of whether the AF is really worth it. This lends some "objective measurable data" to my answer; and takes away the emotional connection I might attach to my Plat Card. I don't want to waste my money on a card I can't gain from just because I love Amex or because my card says "Platinum" on it.
I'm guessing that you might be an accountant, like me .

Taking this one step further, I think we can actually quantify the "prestige" aspect of these types of cards such that we have a more complete valuation model.

Assuming that we like the reaction we get from showing the card (impressing friends / family / peons, increased likelihood of getting a phone number from a cute waitress, whatever), then one could just determine the alternative things that would garner a similar reaction. For a man, that might be wearing a Rolex instead of a Tag Heuer, or wearing designer clothes, etc. For a woman, this would extend to carrying a Louis Vuitton instead of a Coach bag. Then take the differential cost of those items divided by their average useful life, and you get an annual "prestige inducing" cost savings. Note that it might be cheaper to buy slightly used prestige items in teh first place. Add this to your other quantified benefits, and voila you have the mathematical answer of whether paying the annual fee makes sense for you personally.

Please note that one could always value the "prestige" as zero, or even a negative amount. This doesn't change the model. It just changes the answer for that specific person.

My personal suggestion is to not share the fact that you use such a valuation model with others as just sharing this fact will likely have a significant negative impact on your likelihood of getting a number from a cute waitress, among other things.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
Sure the individual valuations of certain benefits vary. But, even for people who find the card to be worthwhile, what do you really place the value of the benefits at? I can't imagine people making an argument that the card is worth all that much more than $450. And if it's not worth all that much more than $450, isn't it probably better not to get it in the first place?

As for the "prestige" argument, I don't think there is one. Maybe 20 years ago having a Platinum Card meant one was well off and was part of an exclusive club. Nowadays it just means you're dumb enough to keep shelling out $450 a year. Even my girlfriend in grad school with a $30k stipend got a 100k signup offer for a Platinum Card. She had one $1000 credit card on her credit history. Got a $5k limit on her card. Who hoo! The only person you'll impress with a platinum card is some bumpkin who knows nothing about credit cards.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't have the card, although if I get the 100k signup offer I will get it, at least for a year.

I think that for some people, it's easy to argue that it's worth much more than $450, though. It's all about how much you use the benefits. I think that if you travel a lot, and make heavy use of the concierge, it's could easily be worth double the annual fee, especially if your home airport has a centurion lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.