Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the Amex Plat Worth the Annual Fee?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Daveyb101
The first year is a no-brainer: $400 in airline gift cards, Global Entry paid, and a MR Signup bonus. but, as others have mentioned, whether to keep the card for a second year will all depend on your travel habits. I'm keeping mine.
Not quite as much of a no-brainer if you already have GE (Global Entry). Like I said before, GE is good for 5 years, so if you already got it within the last 2 or 3 years, you have absolutely no need to spend on it this year (or next year) anyway, so the GE benefit is useless to you the first year.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... Premium Global Assist Hotline medical department can assess the medical need for transportation ... to a more appropriate medical facility or to a hospital near the person’s home as determined by the Premium Global Assist Hotline designated physician. The Premium Global Assist Hotline designated physician, in consultation with the local medical service provider or facility, will determine whether such transport is medically necessary and advisable. The event must be within the first 90 days of the trip and cannot be a pre-existing condition.
American Express offers to transport you only if "medically necessary", and not simply because you would like to recuperate nearer to home.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
Yes, I have a Business card. Same annual fee as a personal card, I think.

The $840 savings is from a virtual office, which is discounted 35% from the normal $200/month fee.
can i ask you what city the virtual office is in? we have a number of those, some markets being a good bit more expensive than others.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:58 pm

Not worth it for the average user. I'm canceling mine between when the airline benefit resets on 1/1 and when my AF is due on 1/15, unless they literally pay me to stay. I think it's hurting my ability to get better cards too, due to the pay over time feature (which is credit). At least I got 15000 MR points for that, though!
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by lobo411
Not worth it for the average user. I'm canceling mine between when the airline benefit resets on 1/1 and when my AF is due on 1/15, unless they literally pay me to stay. I think it's hurting my ability to get better cards too, due to the pay over time feature (which is credit). At least I got 15000 MR points for that, though!
Depends on what you consider "average".
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:05 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Does this still come with Cathy Pacific status?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GodAtum
Does this still come with Cathy Pacific status?
No that's all over now.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:50 pm
Suspended

I'm considering the Amex Platinum. I would like to get an additional card for the wife.

Just to be be clear, which lounges do I have access to without charge? Would my wife be able to utilize it if I'm not traveling with her?

** Lounge access is important to us. I'm not familiar with "Priority Pass", "Centurion Lounge", etc so a detailed description of which lounges are available for use would be helpful.

Thanks!!

Chris
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cslovacek
Just to be be clear, which lounges do I have access to without charge?
Please see the Wikipost at the top of this thread. Any text which appears in blue is a link. Click it to read more about each type of lounge.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...n-lounges.html
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Thanks MIA.

Looks like there is a fee for my wife for using both the Delta Lounges and Priority Pass -- No thank you. I will stick with my United Clib Card. Great benefits, cheaper and almost no airport that doesn't have a lounge I can use with my wife for no additional charge.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cslovacek
Thanks MIA.

Looks like there is a fee for my wife for using both the Delta Lounges and Priority Pass -- No thank you. I will stick with my United Clib Card. Great benefits, cheaper and almost no airport that doesn't have a lounge I can use with my wife for no additional charge.
There is no fee for her to use those lounges as long as she has her own Platinum Card as a secondary on the account. As a secondary she also gets her own Priority Pass card. If not, continue enjoying your donut holes and carrot sticks in the UC.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Amex Plat is an AWESOME card to have if you can find friends / relatives that want to share the cost of the card. It costs $175 to add 3 additional users.

So basically, you'll pay $450 + $175 = $625. Then $625 - $200 airline credit per year (though this year I received $400 credit on AA/US). So $425 / 4 = $106.25. I'd say the $106.25 annual fee is soooooo worth it to own the card, which grants me access to Delta lounges (when flying DL) and free Priority Pass Select membership. (great when traveling to Europe and Asia)

The additional perks, such as no fee on foreign transactions, Global Entry, TSA pre-check, Boingo wifi, SPG gold and elite status on car rentals can be pretty helpful too. Last but not least, top notch customer service from the Platinum desk.

ps: You can set spending limits on the additional cards.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
American Express offers to transport you only if "medically necessary", and not simply because you would like to recuperate nearer to home.
For the latter, might I suggest MedJet Assist (I've been a member, but fortunately never had to use the service...)
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:38 am

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster, GameStop, several library cards
I have to admit, I don't see the point of the Plat card. It's expensive, yet has no prestige or unique features. Personally I use the SPG card because of its ease in redeeming points. It is not the perfect credit card either, but at least I get more value out of it than the plat.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by lessthanzero
I have to admit, I don't see the point of the Plat card. It's expensive, yet has no prestige or unique features. Personally I use the SPG card because of its ease in redeeming points. It is not the perfect credit card either, but at least I get more value out of it than the plat.
No unique features?

Even though the benefits have dropped off for this card recently, please tell me what other credit card out there at a similar or lower price point offers a comparable amount of lounge access, travel credits, hotel programs, hotel/car status, additional protections (higher LDW, baggage insurance, purchase protection), etc. Perhaps we can cobble together a collection of cards, but I'll also pay a premium for simplicity.

Based on how we normally travel and what we normally buy, Mrs. Lee & I get far more than $625 of value out of our cards each year. This is a calculation each individual needs to make for him/herself. For some it is not worthwhile. For others, it very much is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.