Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the Amex Plat Worth the Annual Fee?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:37 pm

The roadside assistance is pretty nice, as it saves me an AAA membership. That's a good $50 a year I'd be paying otherwise.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:44 pm

The AAA roadside benefit is easy to match, but AAA also has some discounts that generally save me close to its fee.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by henrythefourth
I thought that was only for the Business Platinum. I valued the Regus lounge benefit closer to $600. I take it you're also using full office space.

This is the perk that really intrigues me. There are two Regus office spaces near me that I wouldn't mind using as a day away from the home-office. Granted, it's only the lounge access so it would have to be solo laptop work. I read somewhere (forget where) that there is max use of around 8-10 visits per month. Need to find out if that is per office or in total. This is the benefit that would make me pull the trigger, if the sign-up bonus were right.

@henrythefourth
Yes, I have a Business card. Same annual fee as a personal card, I think.

The $840 savings is from a virtual office, which is discounted 35% from the normal $200/month fee.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Smid
Well, I'm not particularly sure this is true for the US card, but it is for the uk. You get TWO Priority Pass's, one for you, and one for your supplemental cardholder.
The USA fee structure is different. The base $450 fee does not include any supplementary cards. Paying an additional $175 per year provides three supplementary Platinum cards, and each is entitled to all of the benefits of the primary card, including Priority Pass. (The $200 airline fee reimbursement is per account, not per card.) Thus 450 + 175 - 200 = $425 net annual cost for four cards, all of which include Priority Pass etc.

The fee structure for USA Business cards (which include the Regus benefit) is not attractive if you need more than one Platinum card. Same base fee $450, but supplementary cards are $300 each. Same $200 per account airline fee reimbursement.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:18 am

A lot comes down to how much you value things like FHR at. I've had promos like 3 nights for the price of 2 and been upgraded several grades of room. Comparing my last stay in Dublin I think the total saving -v- the cheapest I could find elsewhere was €2,500 or so for the weekend however I wouldnt have booked a suite at the hotel if I was paying for it myself so I dont feel I can claim the full benefit as something I have "saved" (and of cause its a gamble).

Certainly in the UK you also get slightly random money off vouchers and these again are hit and miss. Had a total of about £100 of airport duty free vouchers once with no minimum spend and they were obviously useful. Had £250 for an online art gallery which was ok and was used but I wouldnt otherwise have bought anything. There have been others of similar values in the past that are for companies of no interest at all to me so have been a "waste".

For me, on balance, it works out in my favour hence why I keep the card but it is very hard most years to give an absolute value
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:33 am

As with the Centurion card, if you travel a lot then the Plat card does pay for itself for all the reasons listed above.

If you do not travel then a Green card would be sufficient.

My son got one and has benefitted from the $200 airline credit and several other. By the end of th year he will have recouped the $450 fee and more.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: Citi TY, Amex MR, Chase UR, Choice CP, Marriott MR, AGR, RapidRewards
With regards to the $200 reimbursement, I know it specifically states airlines but is Amtrak an option? It would be nice to get a regular ticket and purchase the $50 business class upgrade separate for reimbursement.
I understand it's most likely no but thought I'd ask.

@henrythefourth
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by henrythefourth
....is Amtrak an option?
No, the benefit is valid only on specified USA based airlines listed in the Wikipost of this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-do-list.html
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Short answer - it depends.

But I get far more than $450 of value out of my Plat each year, even without the $100 GE credit.

Lounge access (DL, Amex, Airspace, PP) is huge.
$200 airline credit is basically cash, and you do NOT need to buy your tickets on the Plat card.
SPG Gold and National Exec are great if you wouldn't otherwise earn it.
Boingo is very, very useful, especially abroad where the Amex membership allows you to login as a roaming partner in many places.
Concierge is useful if you understand what they can and can't do.
FHR can provide big savings, especially if you grab one of the free night promos.

The key, I think, is that if you would already be traveling often enough and in the same fashion (int'l travel, mid- to high-end hotels, using airport lounges, etc.), then this card is worth it. If you don't travel that much or only focus on the cheapest possible options, then this card won't magically get you a Cadillac and a suite at a St. Regis for the price of a subcompact and double at the Four Points.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 9:35 am

I've managed to make good use of the FHR program -- It's possible to find rooms around $200 or less and still get the FHR breakfast & $100 F&B/Spa credit.

Executive status at national has also been nice.

The first year is a no-brainer: $400 in airline gift cards, Global Entry paid, and a MR Signup bonus. but, as others have mentioned, whether to keep the card for a second year will all depend on your travel habits. I'm keeping mine.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:04 am

You also get free air ambulance service if you need medical evacuation from a foreign country (through Global Assist)
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Free Boingo wifi

Really? How do I get that?

And I never really understand the free Air Ambulance. I used to think it was free but the last time I read it was confused.

Sorry I must be dumb. Thx for any guidance from an expert.

I like the card as you talk to people with brains who will make decisions quickly - and generally good decisions/
Old Oct 11, 2014, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
And I never really understand the free Air Ambulance. I used to think it was free but the last time I read it was confused.
Emergency Medical Transportation Assistance

In the event that the Card Member or another covered family member (your spouse or domestic partner, dependent up to age 23, or age 26 if full-time student) traveling with the Card Member becomes injured or ill while traveling and are seeking or have sought medical treatment, the Premium Global Assist Hotline medical department can assess the medical need for transportation and provide the service.
A medical evacuation may be provided at no cost to the Card Member or covered family member from point of illness or injury (when the Card Member or covered family member is under the care of a local medical service provider or facility) to a more appropriate medical facility or to a hospital near the person’s home as determined by the Premium Global Assist Hotline designated physician. The Premium Global Assist Hotline designated physician, in consultation with the local medical service provider or facility, will determine whether such transport is medically necessary and advisable. The event must be within the first 90 days of the trip and cannot be a pre-existing condition. A pre-existing condition is any sickness, illness, or injury that has manifested itself, become acute, or was being treated in the 60 day period immediately prior to the start of a trip. The person needing evacuation may need to complete a medical information release as required by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (a “HIPAA Release”), or provide authorization for next of kin to complete the release. Emergency transportation services in connection with the medical emergency may also be provided to a covered family member pursuant to the full Emergency Medical Transportation Assistance Terms and Conditions at the end of this document. Subject to additional important terms, conditions and exclusions. Please see full Terms and Conditions at the end of this document.
Very Important: Any costs for medical transport not authorized and arranged through the Premium Global Assist Hotline Program are solely the responsibility of the Card Member and such costs will not be reimbursed. Premium Global Assist Hotline does not cover medical expenses (with the exception of cost incurred during the transport) nor transportation of personal possessions including luggage
Old Oct 11, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Emergency evac

Thanks - well that is pretty clear and what I used to think. I better make sure that the phone number is readily available. It seems to be most useful when you are convulsing with a heart attack - not the time to call directory assistance!
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:20 am

Consider the Ameriprise version -- AF waived first year. Also, can take the $200 credit twice as it is per calendar year. This card has been having 25k MR sign-up bonuses this year to boot. These with the previously mentioned benefits ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.