Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the Amex Plat Worth the Annual Fee?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
When you got targeted, did you have another amex card? If so, which one, and were you spending a lot on it?
I previously had no AMEX card-my primary spending was on a Chase card, though (13k in the last year)
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. Thanks for the data point.

More and more, I'm thinking that by holding a PRG, I'm giving myself almost no chance at the 100k plat offer.

The PRG is such a crappy card. I only jumped on it for the 25k sign-up bonus and waived intro AF. Bad rewards, bad benefits, high AF.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

The PRG is such a crappy card. I only jumped on it for the 25k sign-up bonus and waived intro AF. Bad rewards, bad benefits, high AF.
As a former PRG holder, that card is only worth it if you book a TON of airfares for the 3X. The cost of the PRG is basically the same as plat, post fee credit, yet the plat gives way more benefits.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
As a former PRG holder, that card is only worth it if you book a TON of airfares for the 3X. The cost of the PRG is basically the same as plat, post fee credit, yet the plat gives way more benefits.
Like I said, I just got it for the 1st year waived AF. There is no way I would pay $175 for this card unless they upgrade it significantly.

3x pts with airlines isn't really a great deal for me. I fly with VX mostly, and I get 3x elevate pts if I use their card. Elevate pts are worth a lot more than MR pts.

I never pay fees when I fly, and VX does not sell gift cards or vouchers, so the $200 credit on the plat is not worth much to me. I guess I could buy vouchers from another airline and sell them at a discount. I'm hoping that they just start to allow it for airfare by the time I upgrade to the plat, to compete with the Citi Prestige.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:07 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... VX does not sell gift cards or vouchers, so the $200 credit on the plat is not worth much to me....
Last I knew Virgin America transactions were not eligible for the airline fee reimbursement benefit. Brief discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rica-join.html
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:02 pm
She

Originally Posted by steveman518
I previously had no AMEX card-my primary spending was on a Chase card, though (13k in the last year)
Same, targeted for personal card. Never had an Amex before and primary card in the last year was also a Chase card
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by steveman518
Mine was a 3k/3mo for 100k targeted offer for the personal Plat card-not exactly sure how I got targeted, but it was something I was waiting for
That was the same offer I got in May ^. Couldn't pass that up.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:10 am

Telling Amex that you have a sole proprietorship for the purposes of obtaining credit, and then telling the IRS that you don't seems like a bad idea.
There's no relation between business tax liability and being issued a "business" credit card. For most people, these cards are issued based upon their personal credit rating, anyway, and they remain personally responsible for the debt.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
When you got targeted, did you have another amex card? If so, which one, and were you spending a lot on it?
My wife and I both received this offer for personal Plat (100K for $3k in 3 months). I had a corporate green card that I stopped using earlier this year and she had an AMEX back in 2010. We now have enough MR points to fly first class in Singapore Suites back from Asia.

Many thanks to FlyerTalk posters for helping me learn more about credit card miles. I originally put the offers aside because of the $450 AF. But now I have been able to buy 4 $100 gift cards on Southwest and we have both been reimbursed for Global Entry. After 4 more gift cards in January AMEX will have paid us $100 to accept 200K MR points. ^
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond
It's interesting to note that many of the posters here are US based and I'd be interested to here what people think about the UK level of benefits for the money. In the UK, I'm just debating whether to keep my Plt'm card. The annual charge is £450 ($700) and for that we get, travel insurance, priority pass, no airline membership (Cathay Pacific have severed the deal), SPG Gold, Accor Plt'm and Carlton hotels Gold.

As I fly mainly with British Airways and already have a Gold card, I haven't used the priority pass this year. SPG and Carlton are at Gold level, so limited benefit when staying at them. Accor is at Platinum which is the only one of the three that actually gets you anything in a hotel - upgrade, preferred room etc.

So for £450/$700 are these benefits worth it? It seem that each year the benefits of Plt'm get less and less. The membership help line reminded me that one of the big benefits was Rewards. If that is a big benefit - points for what I spend - then is that telling me something?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: Delta, SPG
Originally Posted by ComputerCommuter
It's interesting to note that many of the posters here are US based and I'd be interested to here what people think about the UK level of benefits for the money. In the UK, I'm just debating whether to keep my Plt'm card. The annual charge is £450 ($700) and for that we get, travel insurance, priority pass, no airline membership (Cathay Pacific have severed the deal), SPG Gold, Accor Plt'm and Carlton hotels Gold.

As I fly mainly with British Airways and already have a Gold card, I haven't used the priority pass this year. SPG and Carlton are at Gold level, so limited benefit when staying at them. Accor is at Platinum which is the only one of the three that actually gets you anything in a hotel - upgrade, preferred room etc.

So for £450/$700 are these benefits worth it? It seem that each year the benefits of Plt'm get less and less. The membership help line reminded me that one of the big benefits was Rewards. If that is a big benefit - points for what I spend - then is that telling me something?
Might make sense to make a thread specifically for the UK version. I am guessing this one should be renamed to state specifically the US version. I'm not sure that most the posters in this thread can really associate to your issues.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt, Accor, SPGCorp, BA, Virgin
Originally Posted by ComputerCommuter

There are some UK lurkers here!! ;-) I really can't justify the Platinum card. I dropped back to Gold and may drop back to Green just to keep the MR points (which I find very useful) but the £450 for what you get just doesn't appear worth it.

A colleague of mine has the Centurion card but pays £1800 and he is thinking of doing the same thing (going to Green or maybe Gold). Great Customer Service though.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
That's pretty nice for a 100k offer. Targeted business plats best I've seen recently is 150K, but $20K spend.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:01 pm

Neither me nor my spouse were ever targeted. We have 5 Amex accounts between the 2 of us so maybe Amex doesn't see the need to attract us with any offers. Wanted so badly for a good Amex Platinum offer to come around.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mmdough
Wanted so badly for a good Amex Platinum offer to come around.
The standard 'refer-a-friend' bonus is 40K miles after 3K spend. There's a forum post here to get these from other members. .

Last edited by mia; Nov 28, 2014 at 3:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.