Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Gold Delta Amex 70,000 SM & $100 Statement credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] Gold Delta Amex 70,000 SM & $100 Statement credit

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512
First, this guy Charles was telling me how I got ripped off by getting 75K miles for what I consider nothing. He then spun it into I wasn't getting enough value for my miles, trying to tell me I paid $5k bucks for the miles.

2nd, I live between MN and the Tampa area and only have a need for the MSP/TPA route. The flights are for my kids actuallly as I live 7 months in FL and 5 in MN so I drive down

You fly around the world, me, I'll sit on my ocean or lake front deck and relax.

I have managed to get 10 free flights ( for family) per year for the past 7 years, with Northwest and Continental gone it's getting harder. I usually use 25K miles on United and American as I book early. The only thing better about Delta is it's direct flight. If you know a way to get flights from MSP/TPA for less than 25 K R/T I am all ears. I have got flights on Delta for 25K R/T but they are few and far between these days especially during the peak season in Florida

As I said using a dollar amount was a bad example, I should have said where can I get 75K miles for spending 5k ( that I would spend anyway) anywhere else
You are at a DL fortress hub that is one of the reasons you have a hard time to do your MSP-TPA flight.

If you ask me, my idea of cumulating miles is NOT for a free domestic r/t - such I would just buy it if I need to. My miles are used as a travel experience enhancer, not a substitute for basic travel expenses which I can easily pay with cash. However I should not pay with cash on a $12K First Class trip to SE Asia, or a $15K First Class trip to Australia, etc etc - but with the miles we have, we can do that and only need to pay a few hundreds in taxes... The choice is so obvious that I (and many here) automatically assume others would be this way... Naturally it is not - there are folks here their goal is to minimize their cash outlay for BASIC travels - nothing wrong with that if that is your goal - but you should do it with AA or UA, especially UA, rather than DL - for DL is notoriously BAD in having low-level domestic award space. I think this is what Charles is trying to get it across.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Happy
You are at a DL fortress hub that is one of the reasons you have a hard time to do your MSP-TPA flight.

If you ask me, my idea of cumulating miles is NOT for a free domestic r/t - such I would just buy it if I need to. My miles are used as a travel experience enhancer, not a substitute for basic travel expenses which I can easily pay with cash. However I should not pay with cash on a $12K First Class trip to SE Asia, or a $15K First Class trip to Australia, etc etc - but with the miles we have, we can do that and only need to pay a few hundreds in taxes... The choice is so obvious that I (and many here) automatically assume others would be this way... Naturally it is not - there are folks here their goal is to minimize their cash outlay for BASIC travels - nothing wrong with that if that is your goal - but you should do it with AA or UA, especially UA, rather than DL - for DL is notoriously BAD in having low-level domestic award space. I think this is what Charles is trying to get it across.

I give my kids enough, saving $4k a year or so by doing nothing other than making purchases I would make anyway is good enough for me.

I do use UA and AA has upped it's award flights (MSP/TPA ) to 50K 330 days out. They used to be 25K all day long. Maybe as it gets closer they are dropping the miles but I am not sure.

The Delta miles are free so it's not a big deal, yes I usually have to use more but there are only so many airlines and I NEVER pay for or fly apaid flight so my miles are all signup bonuses and everyday spends. Never even did the mint

One of my kids go to school in Chicago and I had to use 40K ORD/TPA. Remember it's spring break when they come down.

How can anyone say anything free is a bad deal ? Read up some posts, Charles says we are getting ripped off by spending the $5K for the miles, no idea how he comes to that conclusion and he made his first post before I responded to him about the 80K for 2 domestic R/T

Of course he talks in riddles and sounds like he may be drunk so who knows what he is really saying, lol

Last edited by flyer4512; Sep 19, 2012 at 12:38 am
Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:10 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
If you know a way to get flights from MSP/TPA for less than 25 K R/T I am all ears.
BA Avios for redemptions on AA

MSP-ORD-TPA = 12K one-way
MSP-MIA-TPA = 14.5K one-way
MSP-DFW-TPA = 15K one-way

Better than 40K rt with Delta. And BA partners with AMEX MR and Chase UR. The former currently has a 40% bonus to BA, so even the most expensive RT would be <22K AMEX points. The latter also partners with UA, which has much better low-level space than Delta domestically. If you built up Chase UR points, you'd have access to UA, US, and AA low-level domestic space with UA and BA.

One of my kids go to school in Chicago and I had to use 40K ORD/TPA. Remember it's spring break when they come down.
ORD-TPA = 7500 Avios one-way

The Delta miles are free so it's not a big deal,
They're not free. You have to spend $5000 to get them. You're giving up >$100 in cash-back or other points to get those miles. To put that into perspective, $5K with vanilla beans = 25K miles. You're giving up 25K UA or BA points for these miles.

Delta is fine in some cases when you're really not flexible with dates and you don't mind paying 40K rt for 1000 miles each way in coach. But you shouldn't delude yourself into thinking these are free miles.

Last edited by amolkold; Sep 19, 2012 at 1:24 am
Old Sep 19, 2012, 4:19 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by evilhomer
I noticed other people said that, after they got approved for this card, it now says "Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardmember" under their name when they log into their SkyMiles account. My wife and I just got approved for this card last night, and so I just checked our SkyMiles accounts and it seems that my wife's account says "Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardmember", but my account does not. Should I be worried?

Neither of us previously had a SkyMiles account, so we both created one right before applying for this AMEX card. We did all of this within minutes of each other. We're also both first-time AMEX cardholders. So it seems strange that there would be a difference like this between our two SkyMiles accounts. Anyone have any thoughts on why this is the case?
It's been several days and my wife's DL account still doesn't show her card status. I recall when I got my Plat DL amex it didn't show up until after I had the card, for whatever reason.

(Apologies for an on-topic post back to your regularly-scheduled flame wars...)
Old Sep 19, 2012, 4:49 am

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by amolkold
Only Delta flies PEK-NRT in Skyteam and NRT-SPN of all airlines ... doesn't OP have to contend with Delta low-level availability? Or is it always around for those routes?
I do need low-level for the 25k, but availability is better than it is in the US, and C is always open. I can often do one way in Y, the other in C if it's not open in Y. Really any flight internationally is a steal considering it costs $400 to fly to ICN from PEK these days.

I just noticed they also fly to GUM and seasonally to ROR from NRT.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:08 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by Happy
Another facepalm moment.
Why you have to pick thru others' feel-good bubble? Let others feel they are getting free flights, regardless what kind of opportunity cost they have incurred, or what kind of extra value (A LOT) they left on the table...
touche' Happy.

Understood, what he wants to spend his money on is his perogative. I'm very glad for the guy who is getting to go to Tampa. Hope he has a great trip. ^
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:14 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by amolkold
They're not free. You have to spend $5000 to get them.
I for one do not intend to spend anywhere near that amount to get them and I don't think anyone else here does either. If we pay our cell bill, buy our groceries, fill our gas tanks and then top off the spend through strategies such as free-after-rebate and fully reimbursed activities, how can the miles be a negative?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: United, AA, Hilton
I keep getting an offer has expired error page this morning in both firefox and ie.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite; SPG Platinum; MR Gold
Expired?

Do we know if this offer is not available for sure? Has anyone been able to apply since yesterday evening? I can't get it to work myself.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:35 am

Wife and I each got approval day before yesterday and it stated we'd get the cards in 7-10 days. Today we both got emails from DL congratulating us and saying "you should have already received your card" and providing links to AMEX to register the cards online and begin spending. Seems DL is getting a little ahead of themselves. At least thats perhaps better than their usual "behind themselves and everybody else" mode. Oh, well.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite; SPG Platinum; MR Gold
50K link or offer code anyone?

OK... looks like this is now dead. I have seen references to a 50K offer... can someone post or pm me the offer code and/or link?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by bdben
Do we know if this offer is not available for sure? Has anyone been able to apply since yesterday evening? I can't get it to work myself.
The trick through the derived link and changing names and Frequent Flyer number may no longer work (Delta probably fixed that loop hole with the influx of apps from here). But I suppose you could try the booking the refundable ticket route and see if the 70K offer still pops up in case they are still running the targetted promotion.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
I can win in this competition easily, because I am located in China. I can fly PEK-NRT-SPN for 25k miles and 40$ taxes with a day in NRT if I want. Considering the flights to NRT are basically always 400$, and all the other ST flights force you to pay YQ, I think I've found a bargain. TPE, MNL, HKG work too, just have to transit NRT.

75k miles is 3 of these trips, which isn't bad at all.
Unfortunately Delta`s redemption isn`t that good for South East Asia.

Last edited by TorontoSingh; Sep 19, 2012 at 9:11 am
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Can we stop the nonsense argument about whether the 70K is worth it or not and focus on how the heck we can meet the 5K spend and the $100 statement credit? Ideas anyone?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: DL GM, BA Silver, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, PC Plat, Hyatt Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by blackmamba
Can we stop the nonsense argument about whether the 70K is worth it or not and focus on how the heck we can meet the 5K spend and the $100 statement credit? Ideas anyone?
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.