Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Gold Delta Amex 70,000 SM & $100 Statement credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] Gold Delta Amex 70,000 SM & $100 Statement credit

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by pcharles
Bahahhaaaaaa ahhaaaaaa aaahhhhhhaaaaaaaa that's so funny.

So you spent $5000 for 2 domestic r/t flights, hopefully, if you can get that at 35k pp (hint: are your flights booked yet... you are being realistic arent you???).

Delta sold you a $5000 round trip domestic ticket?? A $4000 mark up (wait mods, relax, we all know that's not the whole picture) So....

...wait for it...

...wait for it...

... @:-) ...there it is.... Bahahhaaaaaa ahhaaaaaa aaahhhhhhaaaaaaaa
This is the realization the hangover hasnt set in yet...

Okay, and yes I realize your my goals are not mine. And I should not judge your goals!!!
So, I would venture to guess, venture to assume even, that you would make the $5000 spend regardless anyway, so this is a good economy trip to florida (that is usually about $350pp), but this is as good a good reason as any (right ), because if its free!! ($5000 free, over months of spend)

I do not really expect to see the flood to threads will be abound by those wanting ideas that were not "spending regardless."

...oooh, bad hangover.....
...waking up from the fog now....

who slipped me a mickey?

EDIT: Okay, okay, so, a goooood reasoning would be to top off for international redemption. (where's the idea light bulb for edits?)
Do you really think that $5k spend "costs" $5k?

You're getting 9pesos/$...I'd say that's pretty good even if i'ts valued at 1cpp that's a 9% rebate on every dollar spent. Plus a $100 boot
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:50 pm

Programs: many
Originally Posted by captaincool
Do you really think that $5k spend "costs" $5k?
In their interest, yes.
Obviously they do not know what you know, so its a learning lesson.

Happy would be clear to point out its the value of what one perceives that is important. But if a question that challenges ones first idea inspires a creative redemption, then its worth looking outside the box and challenging those who think a 75k redemption (on delta, for goodness sakes!!!!) is wise way, is a a good effort

My methods... though, cross, have use
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:52 pm

So you spent $5000 for 2 domestic r/t flights, hopefully, if you can get that at 35k pp (hint: are your flights booked yet... you are being realistic arent you???).

Delta sold you a $5000 round trip domestic ticket?? A $4000 mark up (wait mods, relax, we all know that's not the whole picture) So....

...wait for it...

...wait for it...

... @:-) ...there it is.... Bahahhaaaaaa ahhaaaaaa aaahhhhhhaaaaaaaa
This is the realization the hangover hasnt set in yet...

Okay, and yes I realize your my goals are not mine. And I should not judge your goals!!!
So, I would venture to guess, venture to assume even, that you would make the $5000 spend regardless anyway, so this is a good economy trip to florida (that is usually about $350pp), but this is as good a good reason as any (right ), because if its free!! ($5000 free, over months of spend)

I do not really expect to see the flood to threads will be abound by those wanting ideas that were not "spending regardless."

...oooh, bad hangover.....
...waking up from the fog now....

who slipped me a mickey?

EDIT: Okay, okay, so, a goooood reasoning would be to top off for international redemption. (where's the idea light bulb for edits?)

I would spend the $5k ANYWAY. It's not like I am giving 5K to Delta.

The flights I have booked are from MSP/TPA 3/16/12 - 3/23/12 are $571 each today

So MR points wizard tell me where I can get $1142 by spending 5K anywhere else ?

And Yes, I booked the flights for 80K back in June

Last edited by flyer4512; Sep 18, 2012 at 10:06 pm
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I'd ask if you are really this dumb but reading your post...........

The flights I have booked are from MSP/TPA 3/16/12 - 3/23/12 are $571 each today

So MR points wizard tell me where I can get $1142 by spending 5K anywhere else ?
So let's look at it a different way. My MSP-DTW-PVG-DTW-MSP in BusinessElite Class for the 15hr long haul and First Class for the domestics runs $15000.00USD It cost a total of 120K skymiles. Enjoy tampa.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:14 pm

So let's look at it a different way. My MSP-DTW-PVG-DTW-MSP in BusinessElite Class for the 15hr long haul and First Class for the domestics runs $15000.00USD It cost a total of 120K skymiles. Enjoy tampa.

You're my hero. Have fun flying 15 hours, my Winter place is in North redington Beach

What does that have to do with spending 5K on hte delta card not being worth $1100 ? Nice spin job.

BTW 80K was for TWO flghts and i have no need to nor would I want to go to CHINA. BTW for my dates your flight China flight is 600,000 miles!!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: SQ
I can win in this competition easily, because I am located in China. I can fly PEK-NRT-SPN for 25k miles and 40$ taxes with a day in NRT if I want. Considering the flights to NRT are basically always 400$, and all the other ST flights force you to pay YQ, I think I've found a bargain. TPE, MNL, HKG work too, just have to transit NRT.

75k miles is 3 of these trips, which isn't bad at all.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
I can win in this competition easily, because I am located in China. I can fly PEK-NRT-SPN for 25k miles and 40$ taxes with a day in NRT if I want. Considering the flights to NRT are basically always 400$, and all the other ST flights force you to pay YQ, I think I've found a bargain. TPE, MNL, HKG work too, just have to transit NRT.

Show off!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais

Which Airlines is this that doesn't have a YQ on the Skyteam network?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TorontoSingh
Which Airlines is this that doesn't have a YQ on the Skyteam network?
Only Delta flies PEK-NRT in Skyteam and NRT-SPN of all airlines ... doesn't OP have to contend with Delta low-level availability? Or is it always around for those routes?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
I was able to get to the sign up page earlier this afternoon while at work, but now that I'm home and ready to submit my application, it says that it is no longer available.

Does anybody happen to have ANY way to get this deal back? It was the perfect deal for me at the perfect time. Can't believe I missed it!
Lesson learned - do not hesitate. When it's right, it's right.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:45 pm

Show off!
So back to the origainal subject that you brought up. How is spending $5K to get 75K Delta miles a bad deal since I would spend the money in cash or on another card on thing I would buy anyway ?

Im made a bad example out of the $1100 dollar remark as it was not meant to see who could get the most value out of 75k miles it was meant to ask you how getting ~ $ 1100 was a bad deal for me

I really wasn't expecting someonme who was saying how this was bad deal to show ways you could get even more value out of the miles

BTW, you really didn't report me ,did you lol
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:50 pm

Delta sold you a $5000 round trip domestic ticket?? A $4000 mark up ([U])

Back to the original subject.....................explain please
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And Yes, I booked the flights for 80K back in June
Another facepalm moment.

Why you have to pick thru others' feel-good bubble? Let others feel they are getting free flights, regardless what kind of opportunity cost they have incurred, or what kind of extra value (A LOT) they left on the table...
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're my hero. Have fun flying 15 hours, my Winter place is in North redington Beach

What does that have to do with spending 5K on hte delta card not being worth $1100 ? Nice spin job.

BTW 80K was for TWO flghts and i have no need to nor would I want to go to CHINA. BTW for my dates your flight China flight is 600,000 miles!!
My friend, I have coaxed an FTer to put in some time and effort - eventually netted her a 100K low level award flying AF business class West Coast to Copenhagen in June the peak season, with a stopover at Venice thrown in.

I personally will fly 15 hours in business or first class any day... The joy of flying premium cabin internationally... That is what miles are for.

You simply have to learn how to redeem low level DL award - the STICKY in DL forum is your friend. Not only that, it is indeed requires some efforts on your own because there simply is no replacement for such, not even an award booking service would earn your $150 to $200 fee to get DL award because it is just too time-consuming for them. However if you yourself are willing to put in your own effort, then indeed one can redeem much better value than what you have done.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
My friend, I have coaxed an FTer to put in some time and effort - eventually netted her a 100K low level award flying AF business class West Coast to Copenhagen in June the peak season, with a stopover at Venice thrown in.

I personally will fly 15 hours in business or first class any day... The joy of flying premium cabin internationally... That is what miles are for.

You simply have to learn how to redeem low level DL award - the STICKY in DL forum is your friend. Not only that, it is indeed requires some efforts on your own because there simply is no replacement for such, not even an award booking service would earn your $150 to $200 fee to get DL award because it is just too time-consuming for them. However if you yourself are willing to put in your own effort, then indeed one can redeem much better value than what you have done.

First, this guy Charles was telling me how I got ripped off by getting 75K miles for what I consider nothing. He then spun it into I wasn't getting enough value for my miles, trying to tell me I paid $5k bucks for the miles.

2nd, I live between MN and the Tampa area and only have a need for the MSP/TPA route. The flights are for my kids actuallly as I live 7 months in FL and 5 in MN so I drive down

You fly around the world, me, I'll sit on my ocean or lake front deck and relax.

I have managed to get 10 free flights ( for family) per year for the past 7 years, with Northwest and Continental gone it's getting harder. I usually use 25K miles on United and American as I book early. The only thing better about Delta is it's direct flight. If you know a way to get flights from MSP/TPA for less than 25 K R/T I am all ears. I have got flights on Delta for 25K R/T but they are few and far between these days especially during the peak season in Florida

As I said using a dollar amount was a bad example, I should have said where can I get 75K miles for spending 5k ( that I would spend anyway) anywhere else

Last edited by flyer4512; Sep 19, 2012 at 12:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.