Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frudd38
The application process was buggy and didn't let me add the AU's (as it did last time). For anyone adding AU recently, were you able to do it online after approval and have it reflected as $0? Or did it require an agent to add?
Yeah, I got a new card and had trouble adding additional cardholders. After I got the card, I went to the website to request the cards, and it basically said they'd get back to me. I guess I'll call in a couple days if I don't get confirmation that the additional cards are on the way.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by frudd38
The application process was buggy and didn't let me add the AU's (as it did last time). For anyone adding AU recently, were you able to do it online after approval and have it reflected as $0? Or did it require an agent to add?
I had the same issue when I applied this weekend. My physical card arrived yesterday and I ordered the AU's online. The form said $175 for the first 3 cards, but I'm confident that I won't be charged.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:46 pm

So any ideas on how quickly after canceling it is safe to apply again?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by the188
So any ideas on how quickly after canceling it is safe to apply again?
You need to wait a minimum of 27 seconds.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:20 pm

A datapoint for the good of the order:
I currently have a vanilla platinum, which I plan on holding until after the new year to finish my triple dip. I applied for an Ameriprise Plat, and I was instantly approved. I received the full new member package including the wood phone/business card holder.
I should be able to get another triple dip with the Ameriprise Platinum. I also ordered 2 AUs after the fact, we will see how those turn out with the annual fee.
Diplomatico, Robl, Gasolin and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:20 pm

Any recent DPs on people getting the ameriprise card and then not getting the signup bonuses for the other AMEX plat versions afterward?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:35 pm

Question about Amex Plat renewal fee

Hi,

Quick question about how the timing for AMEX Plat renewal fee and credit resets work.

My plan is to open an Ameriprise AMEX Plat today (Jan 3rd 2019). I will use the airline credit, saks credit, uber credits etc normally throughout 2019.
When 2020 comes around when will I get hit with the renewal fee? Will it be in January? or Feb?

Will I get a chance to use the airline credit and first half of the saks credit in early Jan 2020 and cancel in time to not pay the renewal fee?
Any potential issues with this plan?

Normally i would just wait until Feb to open a card to give myself more of a buffer but i have a Delta flight in 2 weeks so I thought i might as well get the AMEX plat for Delta lounge access.

Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:53 am

Your plan is fine. The annual fee will likely post in late January of 2020 and you have 30 days to cancel after that, so nearly a full 2 months in 2020.

The only issue is that had you applied 3 weeks ago in mid-December, you could have snuck in 3 airline credits (2018, 2019 and 2020) and an extra Saks credit too (2018-2nd half, 2019-1st half, 2019-2nd half, and 2020-1st half).
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:00 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Your plan is fine. The annual fee will likely post in late January of 2020 and you have 30 days to cancel after that, so nearly a full 2 months in 2020.

The only issue is that had you applied 3 weeks ago in mid-December, you could have snuck in 3 airline credits (2018, 2019 and 2020) and an extra Saks credit too (2018-2nd half, 2019-1st half, 2019-2nd half, and 2020-1st half).

Thanks! I know i missed the triple dip but I'm fine with "just" two credits
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by AlmostJesus
A datapoint for the good of the order:
I currently have a vanilla platinum, which I plan on holding until after the new year to finish my triple dip. I applied for an Ameriprise Plat, and I was instantly approved. I received the full new member package including the wood phone/business card holder.
I should be able to get another triple dip with the Ameriprise Platinum. I also ordered 2 AUs after the fact, we will see how those turn out with the annual fee.
Is it confirmed that additional AU will not be charged a fee if ordered after application?

I got the card last month but wasn't able to add an AU during the application process.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by spacecadet610
Is it confirmed that additional AU will not be charged a fee if ordered after application?

I got the card last month but wasn't able to add an AU during the application process.
I can confirm this personally. I had the same problem last month and added AUs after the fact. Also, the terms&conditions confirm that there is no AF for the first year. If Amex were to charge you fees for the AU cards in the first year, they would be in clear violation of the CARD Act. It's not going to happen.
Gasolin likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:10 am

You need to wait a minimum of 27 seconds.
It’s confirmed that you can reapply pretty much immediately after canceling? If so, why have others in this thread referred to waiting a year and alternating with P2 every other year?

Last edited by Fbc24; Jan 7, 2019 at 2:11 am Reason: Clarification
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Fbc24
It’s confirmed that you can reapply pretty much immediately after canceling?
Technically, you don't even have to wait at all to cancel the first one before applying for a second. You can have 2 of this card at the same time.
Originally Posted by Fbc24
If so, why have others in this thread referred to waiting a year and alternating with P2 every other year?
It feels less abusive? They're managing their Chase 5/24 count? Those are 2 possible reasons off the top of my head. There could be others.
hi55us and Fbc24 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
I can confirm this personally. I had the same problem last month and added AUs after the fact. Also, the terms&conditions confirm that there is no AF for the first year. If Amex were to charge you fees for the AU cards in the first year, they would be in clear violation of the CARD Act. It's not going to happen.
And here I was thinking I somehow fooled AMEX . Good to know it was just the normal process to not pay the AU fee the 1st year.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:58 pm

Wow, i've gotten credit cards quickly in the past before but I applied for this card last Friday and got it today (Monday).

I was able to add an AU as part of the app and I don't remember seeing anything about whether or not there is a 175 fee.
In the actual paper credit card agreement i received with the the card i see that it indicates authorized users are 175 dollars?

Does that mean I need to pay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.