Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:19 am

Does 25k MR points for $3,000 spend still apply?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by baydude
Does 25k MR points for $3,000 spend still apply?
Expired in 2015.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Any negative impact if sign up for this card and don’t have any or much spending after a year and cancel?
I haven't seen any.
I'm leaning towards keeping my card for 1 more year and paying the $550 rather than cancelling. Since I signed up at the end of last year I got the $200 airline bonus in 2017 and 2018, plus my uber rebates and several trips into the Centurion and other lounges. Even paying for one year means I come out ahead with just the $600 in airline certs.
(I realize this goes contrary to the main goals of many on FT by gaming the system to get as much as possible for free and then bailing)
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seabilly
I ... Even paying for one year means I come out ahead with just the $600 in airline certs.
no that means you were 600 ahead this year but you ll pay 550 to get usual card benefits.
nothing wrong ith that but you have to see those two years as separate things - one brings you 600 worth of perks for free another will be 750 more expensive with only one extra year of airline reimbursement and 550 fee
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by azepine00
no that means you were 600 ahead this year but you ll pay 550 to get usual card benefits.
nothing wrong ith that but you have to see those two years as separate things - one brings you 600 worth of perks for free another will be 750 more expensive with only one extra year of airline reimbursement and 550 fee
Over the course of two years, Seabilly explained he will receive $600 in airline credits and pay one $550 fee. As he stated, he will be $50 ahead over the course of those two years (and that's not even counting the Uber credits and Saks credits, if used.)

There's no reason to "see those two years as separate things."
Seabilly and JONJON451 like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
(and that's not even counting the Uber credits and Saks credits, if used.)

There's no reason to "see those two years as separate things."
I probably use 75% of the Uber credits (don't use it except when I'm on travel) but I had actually forgotten about the Saks credit until earlier today so just signed up. Even though much is expensive, there are still a few things under the $50 cap that are of interest.

I had considered letting it lapse upon renewal at the end of this year, and signing up the end of next year but really, that is just too much of a bother. Plus I've grown kinda fond of the Centurion lounge in Vegas that I hit up 6-8 times a year.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:26 pm

Is there a referral bonus for referring a friend w/ this card?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I don't think referrals can be generated for this card so - no.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:23 am

I dont remember specifics but years ago I did refer someone. I dont think the bonus posted so it was manually credited.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by BenCali
Got the Ameriprise plat recently and cardmatch shows me 100k Personal Plat offer. I am inclined to go for the 100k offer before it disappears. Looking at the recent DPs, will my Personal Plat application be rejected automatically or has anyone gotten the bonus from Plat while holding Ameriprise?
Curious if you went ahead and applied for 100k plat offer? And did you get the bonus while still holding Ameriprise?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:40 pm

Has anyone applied and been approved for the Ameriprise Plat after getting the new pop-up warning? Does it matter since there is no "bonus"? I saw the pop-up when I tried to apply today. I did have the card previously. Thanks
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by mill3804
Has anyone applied and been approved for the Ameriprise Plat after getting the new pop-up warning? Does it matter since there is no "bonus"? I saw the pop-up when I tried to apply today. I did have the card previously. Thanks
What did the popup say?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: Ritz-Carlton Gold, Hyatt Plat, AAdvantage Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mill3804
I asked and they said its always 0 first year af, so I dont think so. Nothing to lose since it doesn't affect approval. I didn't apply since I opted for the new schwab plat bonus.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, MM, AS MVP, Lifetime Skyclub, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, National Exec Elite, IHG Gold
I just re-applied now (cancelled after 1 year, 2 years ago.) No problems what so ever.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:11 pm

Anyone able to add first additional card member for $0?

On Amex's own website it says:
Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards.†
but they're saying they don't have that promotion in their system and it'll cost $175? Went back and forth and they gave me Ameriprise Financial's number and they gave me back Amex's number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.