Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mia
and- allows the company to tell analysts that the number of Platinum accounts is growing. ...
People who churn the Ameriprise Plat aren't causing a net increase in Plat accounts.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:06 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by joe_miami
.... aren't causing a net increase....
Correct, but they add to top line new accounts opened number.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
Correct, but they add to top line new accounts opened number.
Any analyst fooled by that is a fool.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:34 am
mia

Here is a slide from an American Express presentation. Note that they report year-over-year changes in the RATE of new account Acquisition and Attrition, but not the actual proportion of accounts closed.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:45 am
Suspended

Companies almost always report such info in the most positive manner possible, but no decent analyst should be fooled by it.

People who churn the Ameriprise Plat, charge little or nothing to the card (since there's no sign-up bonus), and simply milk Amex for costly benefits aren't at all a positive for Amex. Unless Ameriprise is paying Amex for some or all of the first year's AF but hasn't figured out that it's being abused by non-customers, it remains inexplicable that Amex hasn't cracked down on this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
I try to apply for card and got this message Based on your history with American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of Cards you have opened and closed, you are not eligible to receive this welcome offer. But since this card has no welcome offer would I still be able to apply?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:58 am

Companies almost always report such info in the most positive manner possible, but no decent analyst should be fooled by it.

People who churn the Ameriprise Plat, charge little or nothing to the card (since there's no sign-up bonus), and simply milk Amex for costly benefits aren't at all a positive for Amex. Unless Ameriprise is paying Amex for some or all of the first year's AF but hasn't figured out that it's being abused by non-customers, it remains inexplicable that Amex hasn't cracked down on this.
But the slide is not meant to show profitability of those customer acquisitions, but rather the appeal of the product as a whole. Even if we accept your logic that all of these "churners" that charge little or nothing to the card (I'm not so sure of that) are managing to sneak through the door and "milk" Amex of benefits, what Amex is saying is that this Platinum club is so popular that a lot of people want in and some even find clever ways to sneak in. It's sort of like the restaurant that adds a buffet to attract more customers; a small number of folks will hit it hard, share their plate with a nonpaying companion, and even take food home and not be profitable in any way, but from the outside what other people see is a full restaurant that they want to come in and check out and spend their money. As mia suggests this is part of their marketing strategy, and Amex is just putting this whole Ameriprise block of customers that open cards for brief periods of time as one of their [effective] marketing costs.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
People who churn the Ameriprise Plat aren't causing a net increase in Plat accounts.
Such action tends to reduce the decrease in accounts and to increase the net increase in new accounts.

For many years now, Amex has had other fish in the sea to fry and been frying other card holding fish, and frying Amex Plat card churning by the Ameriprise Amex card holder sub-set hasn't been a priority.

Also, I discount any guarantees that Ameriprise Amex Plat holders use the Centurion lounges disproportionately more than other Amex Plat holders; that is unless your idea of "disproportionate" use is any and all use by Ameriprise Amex Plat holders.
Robl likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by happyvoid
I try to apply for card and got this message Based on your history with American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of Cards you have opened and closed, you are not eligible to receive this welcome offer. But since this card has no welcome offer would I still be able to apply?
The only thing that might be considered a "welcome offer" is the extra 5k Membership Rewards after $20k spend. If that's not on your radar, then you should be fine to apply.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:44 am
mia

Originally Posted by pallhedge
The only thing that might be considered a "welcome offer" is the extra 5k Membership Rewards after $20k spend.....
The fee waiver is an "introductory offer" offer, only valid in the first year. Bear in mind that repeatedly applying for this card, paying no fees, and not spending on the card, is the type of activity that could be picked up by the new algorithm that disqualifies bonuses on all cards. Too soon for evidence that this has occurred, but not too soon to consider the tradeoff.

5,000 points after $20,000 spend is an ongoing standard feature of the card, not part of a specific offer. It's also evidence that the Ameriprise product is not identical to the standard product.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by mia
The fee waiver is an "introductory offer" offer, only valid in the first year.
It's stated as such in the Schumer Box. The CARD Act would preclude Amex from reneging on this once you're approved. Of course, Amex can simply cancel your card whenever they wish.
Originally Posted by mia
5,000 points after $20,000 spend is an ongoing standard feature of the card, not part of a specific offer.
This is the only feature of the card that has a "Bonus ID" listed in the benefit terms. I do think this could be a bonus that Amex might deny if you see the popup box during the application. Pure speculation on my part as I have no data points to point to.
GUWonder, mia and Robl like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by halamadrid
But the slide is not meant to show profitability of those customer acquisitions, but rather the appeal of the product as a whole. Even if we accept your logic that all of these "churners" that charge little or nothing to the card (I'm not so sure of that) are managing to sneak through the door and "milk" Amex of benefits, what Amex is saying is that this Platinum club is so popular that a lot of people want in and some even find clever ways to sneak in. It's sort of like the restaurant that adds a buffet to attract more customers; a small number of folks will hit it hard, share their plate with a nonpaying companion, and even take food home and not be profitable in any way, but from the outside what other people see is a full restaurant that they want to come in and check out and spend their money. As mia suggests this is part of their marketing strategy, and Amex is just putting this whole Ameriprise block of customers that open cards for brief periods of time as one of their [effective] marketing costs.
This is silly. If this was Amex's logic, it wouldn't be so stingy with retention offers.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Also, I discount any guarantees that Ameriprise Amex Plat holders use the Centurion lounges disproportionately more than other Amex Plat holders; ...
LOL. Let's be serious here. The benefits are the only reason people churn this card.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
LOL. Let's be serious here. The benefits are the only reason people churn this card.
Yep all the benefits with no fee. There is no good reason you would open and close the exact same card over and over.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
There is no good reason you would open and close the exact same card over and over.
That isn’t true, much as some may wish to imagine that the world were so simple as to enable a leap to the above conclusion.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
That isn’t true, much as some may wish to imagine that the world were so simple as to enable a leap to the above conclusion.
Then help me out here. Why would anybody close and then subsequently re-apply for the same card year after year, other than to continue accessing the benefits without having to pay the annual fee (like on any other Platinum card you would have to, to hold it year over year)?

I mean to know about this barely advertised variant of the Platinum card and systematically churn it every year suggests a level of knowledge and scheming on the part of people doing it that is probably higher than your average joe. Even if they aren't disproportionate users of the lounges and other benefits, they're probably not making money for Amex, since they contribute no annual fee revenue and with no sign up bonus, it doesn't give much incentive to use the card for actual spend. Why Amex is OK with this I don't really understand, but hey it's their business.
joe_miami likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.