Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

That isn’t true, much as some may wish to imagine that the world were so simple as to enable a leap to the above conclusion.
simple conclusions is what companies are all about. Especially in this case where the odds are pretty high of being right about the customer.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by flyershmlyer

simple conclusions is what companies are all about. Especially in this case where the odds are pretty high of being right about the customer.
I would think that Amex has more data about its customers with these cards than anyone posting to this thread and that Amex knows which customers it would want to fire as a net liability. No less so for a product that has been around for more than several years. When Amex makes a change, then get back on this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold

I would think that Amex has more data about its customers with these cards than anyone posting to this thread and that Amex knows which customers it would want to fire as a net liability. No less so for a product that has been around for more than several years. When Amex makes a change, then get back on this.
Please stop insulting our intelligence.

It's obvious why people want this gravy train to continue, but if we're going to have a discussion, let's at least be serious about it.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, is churning the Ameriprise Plat because they really enjoy getting 1x Amex points on all purchases.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Please stop insulting our intelligence.

It's obvious why people want this gravy train to continue, but if we're going to have a discussion, let's at least be serious about it.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, is churning the Ameriprise Plat because they really enjoy getting 1x Amex points on all purchases.
How does this quote:

“I would think that Amex has more data about its customers with these cards than anyone posting to this thread and that Amex knows which customers it would want to fire as a net liability. No less so for a product that has been around for more than several years. When Amex makes a change, then get back on this.

insult your intelligence? It’s certainly not I who is insulting anyone’s intelligence here.

If your so-called “gravy train” was a costly problem for Amex, Amex would have known about it years ago, known way better than anyone here and acted already more than it does.

While you may wish to believe that no one goes to re-apply for a card of the same type as before because of earning 1MR/$, I know people are a diverse lot and plenty of people make some sub-utility-maximizing decisions along the way or have circumstances such that they may re-apply for a card of the same type as cancelled before. This would be no different. Amex knows its customers well, and Amex knows how to get what it wants out of its customers — the same goes for Ameriprise Amex Plat customers, card re-applicants and otherwise.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:54 am
Suspended

How does this quote:

“I would think that Amex has more data about its customers with these cards than anyone posting to this thread and that Amex knows which customers it would want to fire as a net liability. No less so for a product that has been around for more than several years. When Amex makes a change, then get back on this.

insult your intelligence? It’s certainly not I who is insulting anyone’s intelligence here.

If your so-called “gravy train” was a costly problem for Amex, Amex would have known about it years ago, known way better than anyone here and acted already more than it does.

While you may wish to believe that no one goes to re-apply for a card of the same type as before because of earning 1MR/$, I know people are a diverse lot and plenty of people make some sub-utility-maximizing decisions along the way or have circumstances such that they may re-apply for a card of the same type as cancelled before. This would be no different. Amex knows its customers well, and Amex knows how to get what it wants out of its customers — the same goes for Ameriprise Amex Plat customers, card re-applicants and otherwise.
Please. The idea that Ameriprise churners are somehow extra profitable for Amex is simply stupid beyond belief. Who do you think you're fooling with this nonsense?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:24 am
Suspended

Please. The idea that Ameriprise churners are somehow extra profitable for Amex is simply stupid beyond belief. Who do you think you're fooling with this nonsense?
The idea about Ameriprise churners stated above is your claim to knock over, not mine. Familiar with the idea of setting up a straw-man to knock over? Seems so, given what was done above. That kind of thing may fool others but it’s not fooling me.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 2:30 am
Suspended

The idea about Ameriprise churners stated above is your claim to knock over, not mine. Familiar with the idea of setting up a straw-man to knock over? Seems so, given what was done above. That kind of thing may fool others but it’s not fooling me.
Right, the people who churn the Ameriprise are extra profitable. Sure thing.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:34 am
Suspended

Right, the people who churn the Ameriprise are extra profitable. Sure thing.
I said no such thing as the above, but you did.

There were some Ameriprise Amex Plat card churners that were way more profitable than some non-churner Amex Centurion customers. Surprised? I wasn’t. The above-average/extra profitable customers for Amex have been a rather diverse mix of card churners and non-card churners. There is no good reason to believe that some card churners aren’t still extra profitable customers for Amex, but as Amex isn’t as committed to Six Sigma applications as it used to be, perhaps it’s a bit different now — however unlikely to be entirely different than before in that regard.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:39 am
Suspended

I said no such thing as the above, but you did.

There were some Ameriprise Amex Plat card churners that were way more profitable than some non-churner Amex Centurion customers. Surprised? I wasn’t. The above-average/extra profitable customers for Amex have been a rather diverse mix of card churners and non-card churners. There is no good reason to believe that some card churners aren’t still extra profitable customers for Amex, but as Amex isn’t as committed to Six Sigma applications as it used to be, perhaps it’s a bit different now — however unlikely to be entirely different than before in that regard.
There are Ameriprise churners who are more profitable than people paying a $5,000 annual fee for a Centurion card?

LOL.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 5:00 am
Suspended

There are Ameriprise churners who are more profitable than people paying a $5,000 annual fee for a Centurion card?

LOL.
There have been.

And some card churners may even have a Centurion card.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 5:57 pm
Suspended

There have been.
LOL.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:19 pm
fet

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, UA, AS, DL, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
The fee waiver is an "introductory offer" offer, only valid in the first year. Bear in mind that repeatedly applying for this card, paying no fees, and not spending on the card, is the type of activity that could be picked up by the new algorithm that disqualifies bonuses on all cards. Too soon for evidence that this has occurred, but not too soon to consider the tradeoff.

5,000 points after $20,000 spend is an ongoing standard feature of the card, not part of a specific offer. It's also evidence that the Ameriprise product is not identical to the standard product.
Are you saying that someone applying for this card again and seeing this language will not get "no fee" card for the first year?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by fet
Are you saying that someone applying for this card again and seeing this language will not get "no fee" card for the first year?
No, that is not what I wrote.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:37 pm
fet

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, UA, AS, DL, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
The fee waiver is an "introductory offer" offer, only valid in the first year. Bear in mind that repeatedly applying for this card, paying no fees, and not spending on the card, is the type of activity that could be picked up by the new algorithm that disqualifies bonuses on all cards. Too soon for evidence that this has occurred, but not too soon to consider the tradeoff.

5,000 points after $20,000 spend is an ongoing standard feature of the card, not part of a specific offer. It's also evidence that the Ameriprise product is not identical to the standard product.
Originally Posted by mia
No, that is not what I wrote.
I am just looking for any data point on people getting the "no fee" card after seeing the language mentioned.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:43 pm
Suspended

People who get that pop-up but still try to churn the Ameriprise are just begging for trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.