Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:04 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis Preffered, Delta GM
AMEX chat says I can sign up for the regular platinum, then cancel Ameriprise before the switch to get the sign-up. If I don't; do that, the system will see that I had the card before and I can't ever get the sign-up offer.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
An additional data point on my apparent product change: my anniversary date for this card is in March, so it appears that my card was PCd ahead of the AF hitting.
Yet another data point: today I received a letter from Amex telling me about the name change for the card.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 2:11 am

Programs: AA 1MM GO, SW A-List
Originally Posted by fujiteam
AMEX chat says I can sign up for the regular platinum, then cancel Ameriprise before the switch to get the sign-up. If I don't; do that, the system will see that I had the card before and I can't ever get the sign-up offer.
But what if I reject the product change before the switch would I still not be eligible later for the regular PLT sign-up later on?

I’m not sure if I can squeeze in another sign-up bonus min req spend run right now. .
Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Mileage Fanatic
But what if I reject the product change before the switch would I still not be eligible later for the regular PLT sign-up later on?

I’m not sure if I can squeeze in another sign-up bonus min req spend run right now. .
It sounds like as long as you cancelled the Ameriprise before the name change, you can preserve the sign-up for a later date.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:42 am

Looks like the Ameriprise Gold card ($125) is being changed to the American Express Green card ($150). What pisses me off is that my annual fee just hit yet they are saying they are automatically changing it to the green card in a month.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mysterym
...my annual fee just hit yet they are saying they are automatically changing it to the green card in a month.
What would you prefer that they do? Unless the Ameriprise Gold has some features that I do not remember, Green seems to be a much better value.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by mia
What would you prefer that they do? Unless the Ameriprise Gold has some features that I do not remember, Green seems to be a much better value.
At a minimum, they should have kept it as gold through the remaining term, then downgraded to green at the end of the term.

I just got off the chat with Amex and seems they agree this was unfair. They are refunding me the annual fee for this year. Better would have been Gold for the rest of the year though.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
At a minimum, they should have kept it as gold through the remaining term, then downgraded to green at the end of the term.

I just got off the chat with Amex and seems they agree this was unfair. They are refunding me the annual fee for this year. Better would have been Gold for the rest of the year though.
Did you get charged $125 or $150? Personally I'd say the Ameriprise Gold is a much crappier card than the Green anyway. I used to have it and don't recall there being any reason to use it.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Did you get charged $125 or $150? Personally I'd say the Ameriprise Gold is a much crappier card than the Green anyway. I used to have it and don't recall there being any reason to use it.
$125

The Ameriprise gold had all the same features as the Amex standard issue Gold IIRC. so you are saying Amex gold << Amex green? If so, why?

(I was originally on the Ameriprise platinum). No fee first year, second year fee waived, third year 50,000 point retention offer, fourth year $250 retention credit, downgraded after that
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
$125

The Ameriprise gold had all the same features as the Amex standard issue Gold IIRC. so you are saying Amex gold << Amex green? If so, why?
As it's a discontinued card, this is the best I could find, https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/amxgoldamer/ but it only earned 2x on flights and restaurants. The Green is 3x on pretty much all travel, plus the $200 face value CLEAR and Loungebuddy credits, valued at whatever you'd otherwise pay for them.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The Ameriprise Plats are being product changed to the regular Amex Plat in the last week of March of this year.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:19 pm

Was the Ameriprise card the only variant that came with the wooden phone stand? I just signed up for the regular Platinum and was slightly disappointed I didn't get another wooden stand.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:46 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Discussion here: No more wooden holder with AMEX Plat?
fujiteam likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:15 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Will likely close my Ameriprise before the switch in a few days. (Especially given the mass travel impacts taking place)

Question: If I hold a Business Blue with MR and I close my Personal Ameriprise Plat, do my MR get transferred and retained under my Business Blue?
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
Will likely close my Ameriprise before the switch in a few days. (Especially given the mass travel impacts taking place)

Question: If I hold a Business Blue with MR and I close my Personal Ameriprise Plat, do my MR get transferred and retained under my Business Blue?
Yes that’s the great thing about having a fee free Amex card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.