Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2019, 3:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I understand the point that mikesyr18 is making, but I do not understand why it is being made now. The fee waiver offer ended in February.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The latter paragraph has definitely not been representative of what I’ve seen Amex do.

About the first paragraph in the quote above, what “sign-up” bonus? The initial year fee waiver came mostly at the expense of MR “sign-up” bonuses IIRC.
Right, but when you keep the card for 12 months, cancel it, have the AF refunded, and then sign up for another Ameriprise Platinum... You get the $200 airline reimbursement, Uber credits, Global Entry/TSA Precheck, 5x on flights, Centurion Lounges, etc., basically free each year.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 12:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Right, but when you keep the card for 12 months, cancel it, have the AF refunded, and then sign up for another Ameriprise Platinum... You get the $200 airline reimbursement, Uber credits, Global Entry/TSA Precheck, 5x on flights, Centurion Lounges, etc., basically free each year.
Even that hasn’t been available to anyone who opened an Ameriprise Amex account since sometime in the first few months of 2018, so the comment about this coming in the last quarter of 2019 seems untimely at the very least.

And even for those Ameriprise Amex accounts applied before that time in early 2018, the Ameriprise Amex initial year fee waiver mostly came at the expense of getting a boat load of MR points as a “sign up” bonus.

Did the Ameriprise Amex relationship get killed off by Amex because of initial year fee waivers on the card accounts being used by account holders as suggested in the quote above? I would say no, but at this point none of this matters except as part of history. Part of that history is that it hasn’t been possible to do that (which is suggest in the above quote) for well over a year, for the initial fee waiver was killed off in the first quarter of 2019 and thus doing that (which is suggested in the above quote) wouldn’t be available to any who opened Ameriprise Amex accounts after the first few months of 2018.

The Amex Ameriprise card accounts’ statements and online wallet cards still show the Ameriprise name in places, but it’s to be seen when replacement cards for such standing accounts will no longer do so.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
If anyone says they're surprised this amazingly awesome offer would stick around forever, they're kidding themselves.
Mike’s right. This was hands down THE best ongoing CC offer for years. Our Churn Team milked this over and over again! 10 of us reaping the Plat benefits and credits for years—and actually getting paid to do it! Sigh.

Now we’ve moved on to second best—the Canadian Amex Biz Plat deal.
Robl likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 7:28 am

Even that hasn’t been available to anyone who opened an Ameriprise Amex account since sometime in the first few months of 2018, so the comment about this coming in the last quarter of 2019 seems untimely at the very least.
The waived annual fee version of the Ameriprise Amex Platinum card was discontinued in February, 2019.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pallhedge
The waived annual fee version of the Ameriprise Amex Platinum card was discontinued in February, 2019.
That’s not news to me and that non-news informed that comment:

But perhaps some were cancelling accounts before a year was over and then opening a new account? Can’t be too many of those either.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 6, 2019 at 9:02 am
Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Mike’s right. This was hands down THE best ongoing CC offer for years. Our Churn Team milked this over and over again! 10 of us reaping the Plat benefits and credits for years—and actually getting paid to do it! Sigh.

Now we’ve moved on to second best—the Canadian Amex Biz Plat deal.
Was there an Ameriprise Amex card offered in Canada to Canadian persons with no US residential nexus?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
But perhaps some were cancelling accounts before a year was over and then opening a new account? Can’t be too many of those either.
That was literally my entire point.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 1:19 pm
Suspended

That was literally my entire point.
Between July 1st of 2018 and September 30, 2019, how many people actually opened Ameriprise Amex accounts more than once for themselves during this period and got two or more first year fee waivers on this card type during this period? I’m guessing that it’s a number that was approaching zero and was insignificant in the scheme of things for Amex.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 2:38 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Ameriprise Platnium card

I know the card has been discontinued. I still have mine open. What options do I have when the annual fee hits? Is it going to get changed over to the regular plat? Am I not able to downgrade at all and the only option is to cancel if I don't want it?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Downgrading a Platinum charge card is typically not attractive because you would miss the bonus for the Gold or Green cards,
Old Jan 11, 2020, 9:13 am
Suspended

Apparently this discontinued card also got the new trip delay/cancellation/interruption insurance benefit — the same as for the regular US Amex Platinum — and got it as of the start of this year.

Just discovered this when looking up the benefit for other cards too.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I just noticed that on the Amex app on my iPhone, my Ameriprise Amex Plat now doesn't say Ameriprise anymore. It used to. I guess this means these cards will transition to the regular Plat?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I just noticed that on the Amex app on my iPhone, my Ameriprise Amex Plat now doesn't say Ameriprise anymore. It used to. I guess this means these cards will transition to the regular Plat?
That's what I'd expect. It's what happened with the Mercedes Benz Plat in January 2019.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:39 pm

If I get downgraded to the regular platinum will I still be eligible for the regular platinum's signup bonus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.