Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by pcoll
Called to cancel card today. AF posted Feb 8. Was told I would be charged back for Airline Fee for Canceling card at one year. And, now, just seeing that the No Fee for first year is gone, rethinking approach. Perhaps card without AU in the future .
Did the Amex retention employee told you that? I would bet this Amex employee made this up.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Has the first year free bonus expired? I applied a few months ago with no issues. A friend is trying to apply now and we can't find the link.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Has the first year free bonus expired? I applied a few months ago with no issues. A friend is trying to apply now and we can't find the link.
It's gone. It died a couple months ago.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Read the thread...
Old May 7, 2019, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mysterym
Read the thread...
Wow, I missed that. I applied on Jan 22/19 and was approved. Looks like I got in just under the wire since it died around Feb 6.

Sorry for not doing my homework.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
I went to apply for another round of Amex Ameriprise Plat, but it seems that the party is over.

We had this card in the household on and off for last few years. It must have been one of the most lucrative heists from amex (or any cc for that matter). As an example, the last card yielded the following:
  • no AFs
  • 52 centurion visits, 28 PP visits
  • $400 in realized airline fees, only $100 in GE, $100 in NM credits
  • not counting Uber credits and other secondary benefits
No wonder, since amex is out of >$2000. And yes, I game the system within the outlined rules.
RIP
Old Oct 3, 2019, 7:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The Ameriprise Platinum Amex cards are no longer available for application:

https://travelupdate.boardingarea.co...m=BoardingArea

Can’t say I’m surprised.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

https://travelupdate.boardingarea.co...m=BoardingArea

Can’t say I’m surprised.
The article says Gold cards were discontinued. Does that mean that Gold cards are being taken away or is the article just poorly written?
Old Oct 3, 2019, 7:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The MasterCards are also gone. It appears Ameriprise has contracted with a new co-brand issuer (Elan), and the new cards run on VISA network.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
The MasterCards are also gone. It appears Ameriprise has contracted with a new co-brand issuer (Elan), and the new cards run on VISA network.
Ameriprise began the relationship with Elan before this year and with Visa (Signature) cards following from that relationship. I have no reason to doubt that they were aware at some point before this year that Amex was not going to continue their relationship as it was.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Will existing Ameriprise Platinum cards be converted to the unbranded Platinum cards?
Old Oct 5, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
If anyone says they're surprised this amazingly awesome offer would stick around forever, they're kidding themselves.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
If anyone says they're surprised this amazingly awesome offer would stick around forever, they're kidding themselves.
What amazingly awesome offer? The first year fee waiver, which came at the expense of (and without much of any) significant “sign-up” MR bonus?
Old Oct 5, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
What amazingly awesome offer? The first year fee waiver, which came at the expense of (and without much of any) significant “sign-up” MR bonus?
You get the sign up bonus ONCE. People who constantly churned the Ameriprise Platinum year after year and took advantage of the benefits without paying a penny in annual fees is the amazing offer.

The only people who aren't supposed to pay a fee for an AMEX Platinum are military personnel.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
You get the sign up bonus ONCE. People who constantly churned the Ameriprise Platinum year after year and took advantage of the benefits without paying a penny in annual fees is the amazing offer.

The only people who aren't supposed to pay a fee for an AMEX Platinum are military personnel.
The latter paragraph has definitely not been representative of what I’ve seen Amex do.

About the first paragraph in the quote above, what “sign-up” bonus? The initial year fee waiver came mostly at the expense of MR “sign-up” bonuses IIRC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.