Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
For those who are canceling the card after one year, is it better to cancel before or after the annual fee hits?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by mr_rogers
If I get downgraded to the regular platinum will I still be eligible for the regular platinum's signup bonus?
usually you need to actually apply for a card to get a bonus (but you can always ask). Have you received a sign up bonus on a personal platinum amex card in the past?

Last edited by katstarr; Jan 14, 2020 at 7:01 am
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:59 am

Since my fee hit in January (this month) I waited for that so I could get the benefit of the 2020 $200 airline credit, the saks credit and the Uber month credit. Then I called to either cancel or see if there was a retention offer. I was offered 20K points or $200 for a $3K spend and accepted it (the jury in my head is still unsure of whether that was wise or not, but c'est la vie). (I wrote about this on my blog last week)
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If I get downgraded to the regular platinum will I still be eligible for the regular platinum's signup bonus?
Originally Posted by katstarr
usually you need to actually apply for a card to get a bonus ....
I believe mr_rogers is asking if holding a card by virtue of conversion disqualifies a bonus if applying for that same card in the future. A strict reading of the terms would disqualify a bonus, because you would have "had" the card. In practice, American Express' system seems to have trouble tracking product changes for new account bonus purposes, and the system might not show that you had a personal Platinum.
mr_rogers and alvinroast like this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by mia
I believe mr_rogers is asking if holding a card by virtue of conversion disqualifies a bonus if applying for that same card in the future. A strict reading of the terms would disqualify a bonus, because you would have "had" the card. In practice, American Express' system seems to have trouble tracking product changes for new account bonus purposes, and the system might not show that you had a personal Platinum.
Yes that is what I was asking. I am assuming it is too late now to cancel the Ameriprise since the product change had already happened to make things a little more straightforward
Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If you apply for a personal Platinum card a "popup" should be displayed if you are deemed ineligible for a bonus.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
For those who are canceling the card after one year, is it better to cancel before or after the annual fee hits?
With AMEX, I generally wait until after the annual fee posts if I'm going to cancel. (That's also when I would call to inquire about retention offers.)

By doing so, I know that I've held the card for the entire one year that AMEX specifies, which avoids any "gaming the system" assumptions by the AMEX rule set.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
With AMEX, I generally wait until after the annual fee posts if I'm going to cancel. (That's also when I would call to inquire about retention offers.)

By doing so, I know that I've held the card for the entire one year that AMEX specifies, which avoids any "gaming the system" assumptions by the AMEX rule set.
Are you able to collect the airline benefit without fear of clawback?

Amex Canada claws back the airline rebate if card is cancelled after the annual fee hits, but they don’t seem to catch it if you cancel before.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Are you able to collect the airline benefit without fear of clawback?

Amex Canada claws back the airline rebate if card is cancelled after the annual fee hits, but they don’t seem to catch it if you cancel before.
I've neither had that happen to me nor have I heard of that happening to others; I kept the card for a year and cancelled after the annual fee hit. P2 did the same with no repercussions.

I have heard of AMEX customer service reps threatening that the airline benefit would be clawed back but that individual was performing the "triple dip" and then canceling immediately after the third leg of that action.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
That's what I'd expect. It's what happened with the Mercedes Benz Plat in January 2019.
Anyone else confirm that their ameriprise card has been product changed to the regular plat? My AF hasn't hit yet but if it was product changed I may downgrade to the green card which won't be an option if it has not product changed.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Red259
Anyone else confirm that their ameriprise card has been product changed to the regular plat? My AF hasn't hit yet but if it was product changed I may downgrade to the green card which won't be an option if it has not product changed.
An additional data point on my apparent product change: my anniversary date for this card is in March, so it appears that my card was PCd ahead of the AF hitting.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
I got a letter in the mail today saying my regular Platinum card is in the mail to replace the Ameriprise Platinum. It sounds like the only difference will be what's printed on the card, though.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GO, SW A-List
Yes that is what I was asking. I am assuming it is too late now to cancel the Ameriprise since the product change had already happened to make things a little more straightforward
I'm curious on this, got the physical mail that the product change will happen March 26th, and I have until March 25th to REJECT this change.

I'm worried if they do the product change then if I apply to the personal platinum later I won't qualify for the sign-up bonus. If that's the case seems it's better to REJECT the product change to be safe?

What are people doing?

The only PLT card has been the Ameriprise version.

Thanks!
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:24 pm

Just cancelled my Ameriprise. More than 30 days have passed since my AF posted, but they still gave me a prorated refund. I didn't receive a retention offer for this card.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler Gold, Delta Gold, Alaska/VX Gold, SPG Gold for Life
Originally Posted by Mileage Fanatic
I'm curious on this, got the physical mail that the product change will happen March 26th, and I have until March 25th to REJECT this change.
I'm worried if they do the product change then if I apply to the personal platinum later I won't qualify for the sign-up bonus. If that's the case seems it's better to REJECT the product change to be safe?
What are people doing?
The only PLT card has been the Ameriprise version.
Thanks!
Same thing for me, the only flavors of the amex platinum was Morgan Stanely version which they pushed me out a year after I left MS and Ameriprise which I still have a relationship with, but guess we're at the end of the line. Looking at what folks did when Mercedes-Benz Amex Platinum was discontinued, people applied for the regular versions ahead of the transfer to get the bonus. Looks like 60,000 membership rewards points after spending $5K. Going to do a bit more searching and then apply. I'm hoping I will get a pro-rated refund of my AF on my Ameriprise card. Anybody else have a strategy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.