Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:31 am

Does getting this card exclude you from future signup bonuses on vanilla plat? I know there was some discussion earlier in this thread but was wondering if there are any more recent DPs people have.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:33 am

My situation was a little unique. I would call up their MR customer service and just ask flat out.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:11 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Brian Chen
..... I would call up their MR customer service and just ask flat out.
Problem is, the answer they give you is not binding, it's really no better than an opinion.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:48 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
Problem is, the answer they give you is not binding, it's really no better than an opinion.
Unless the response is in written form, like an email or chat response.

LAX
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Those aren't binding, either. A copy of a chat transcript isn't going to do anyone any good if Amex cracks down on the various forms of Plat churning.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Is the first year free once per lifetime like other Amex signup bonuses? I had the card in 2015 for 1 year and cancelled and wondering if I apply again if I will once again get the first year free. Thanks!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by chicago747
Is the first year free once per lifetime like other Amex signup bonuses? I had the card in 2015 for 1 year and cancelled and wondering if I apply again if I will once again get the first year free. Thanks!
Apply again and it will be free again. I and others have done it.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Robl
Apply again and it will be free again. I and others have done it.
When Amex cracks down on this, and it's kind of incredible it hasn't done so already, I suspect the ramifications aren't going to be pretty.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
When Amex cracks down on this, and it's kind of incredible it hasn't done so already, I suspect the ramifications aren't going to be pretty.
Possibly but perusing this thread this offer has been around since 2007. They seem not to mind that much.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Any thoughts on what you think the ramifications would be? Blacklisted? MR rewards accounts drained?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:41 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Any thoughts on what you think the ramifications would be? Blacklisted? MR rewards accounts drained?
Perhaps both. Amex can see application history. With its recent focus on limiting abuse, a pattern of apps isn't going to be looked on favorably.

Last edited by dayone; Aug 26, 2018 at 10:09 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:25 pm
Suspended

I could see either or both of those happening. I'm astonished Amex hasn't cracked down on this already, since it massively devalues their flagship product. It makes no sense that Amex would be cool with people getting a free Plat every year, and it makes no sense that Ameriprise would want to subsidize cardholders who aren't Ameriprise customers. (I have no idea if Ameriprise pays anything toward the "first year free" benefit.)

Amex has been struggling with Centurion Lounge overcrowding, and I guarantee the Ameriprise Plat churners use those lounges on a massively disproportionate basis. I would have thought this would be Job #1 for Amex's reported Rewards Abuse Team (RAT).
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:11 am

Can I apply for this if I already have a Platinum card from AMEX? I'd like to get the Ameriprise card before I cancel my other Platinum so I don't lose my MR points.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:05 am

I could see either or both of those happening. I'm astonished Amex hasn't cracked down on this already, since it massively devalues their flagship product. It makes no sense that Amex would be cool with people getting a free Plat every year, and it makes no sense that Ameriprise would want to subsidize cardholders who aren't Ameriprise customers. (I have no idea if Ameriprise pays anything toward the "first year free" benefit.)

Amex has been struggling with Centurion Lounge overcrowding, and I guarantee the Ameriprise Plat churners use those lounges on a massively disproportionate basis. I would have thought this would be Job #1 for Amex's reported Rewards Abuse Team (RAT).
I don't see anything in the application terms for this particular Amex Platinum product that would warrant the penalties that you mention. Now, I'm not advocating the practice of opening and closing, but the agreement does not mention anything about closing the account or not being an Ameriprise member besides giving Amex the option to close your account or move you to a regular Platinum. That last part is what I see as the more likely Amex response if they thought/decided that those opening and closing this particular product are a real problem. They could just send a letter to those who are approved letting them know that the Ameriprise product is not available to them and that they have the option of continuing on with a regular Platinum (and it's customary annual fee) or just closing the account right then and there.

Ultimately my guess is that Amex is well aware of what's happening, but does not see it as an issue that warrants their attention because there aren't that many people doing the opening and closing of this particular product.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:43 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by halamadrid
.... Amex is well aware of what's happening...
Of course they are, and they have been allowing it for a decade. This isn't an oversight, it's a marketing tool that allows a product manager to meet an objective -and- allows the company to tell analysts that the number of Platinum accounts is growing. They will restrict repeat fee waivers when it no longer serves their purposes.
GUWonder and Robl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.