Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 8:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by f0xx
... MR bonus...
Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had a Platinum Card® account enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program. To qualify for 25,000 points, you must make purchases on your Platinum Card® from American Express for Ameriprise that total $3,000 or more within your first three months of Card Membership starting from the date your account is approved. 25,000 points will be credited to your Membership Rewards® program account 6-8 weeks after you meet the spend requirement. Limit one offer per Card Account. Additional Card Members are not eligible. Cash advances, balance transfers, fees or interest charges, purchases of traveler’s checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards or purchases of other cash equivalents do not apply towards the spend requirement. To receive the bonus points, account must be active, in good standing, and not in default at the time the bonus points are posted to your account. Terms and Conditions for the Membership Rewards® program apply. Visit membershiprewards.com/terms or call 1-800-AXP-EARN (297-3276) for more information. Participating partners and available rewards are subject to change without notice. If your application is not approved by 08/31/2014 because it is incomplete or in pending status, you may not receive the offer even if your application is subsequently approved. American Express reserves the right to modify or revoke offer at any time. In rare instances, your period to spend $3,000 may be shorter than 3 months if there is a delay in mailing your Card. Also, purchases may fall outside of the 3 month period in some cases, such as a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the purchase date differs from the date you made the transaction. (For example, if you buy goods online, the purchase date may be the date the goods are shipped). For questions regarding your Card account, please call the number on the back of your Card.

You don't have to be a Ameriprise client.
Your ability to have this Card product is contingent on a relationship between you and Ameriprise Financial, Inc. If no relationship exists, or if your relationship with Ameriprise Financial ends, American Express has the right to cancel your Card account or transfer your account to another American Express Card product that will have different features and benefits.
Old May 14, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Thanks mia. I know what the terms say, but I'm not a Ameriprise client and I have it.

Like I said, you don't have to be an Ameriprise client.
Old May 14, 2014, 10:48 am
mia

... I have it.
Understood. Typically American Express doesn't react early to disparities between published policy and actual practice, but I like to know what might happen when they notice.

The terms don't say that they won't process applications from others, only that they reserve the right to change the account later. I doubt this would impact the first year annual fee waiver, but it could mean losing the 5,000 point bonus for $20,000 spend.
Old May 20, 2014, 5:50 pm

apply offer retroactively

I just got the Amerprise AX about 8 weeks ago -- before the offer for 25000 points. After seeing this thread, I tried calling AX to see if they would apply the offer retroactively, but was told that Marketing did not do that. Any one have any other suggestions?
Old May 21, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Aadvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by greg0ire
I saw this on slickdeals and figured it may benefit some folks here (who don't fly AA )
https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...canexpress.com
Good catch. So how do we become Ameriprise members hmm.
Old May 21, 2014, 12:23 pm
mia

Originally Posted by wholelottamiles
So how do we become Ameriprise members hmm.

Getting started with Ameriprise Financial
Old May 25, 2014, 11:37 am
cnn

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had a Platinum Card® account enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program. To qualify for 25,000 points, you must make purchases on your Platinum Card® from American Express for Ameriprise that total $3,000 or more within your first three months of Card Membership starting from the date your account is approved. 25,000 points will be credited to your Membership Rewards® program account 6-8 weeks after you meet the spend requirement. Limit one offer per Card Account. Additional Card Members are not eligible. Cash advances, balance transfers, fees or interest charges, purchases of traveler’s checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards or purchases of other cash equivalents do not apply towards the spend requirement. To receive the bonus points, account must be active, in good standing, and not in default at the time the bonus points are posted to your account. Terms and Conditions for the Membership Rewards® program apply. Visit membershiprewards.com/terms or call 1-800-AXP-EARN (297-3276) for more information. Participating partners and available rewards are subject to change without notice. If your application is not approved by 08/31/2014 because it is incomplete or in pending status, you may not receive the offer even if your application is subsequently approved. American Express reserves the right to modify or revoke offer at any time. In rare instances, your period to spend $3,000 may be shorter than 3 months if there is a delay in mailing your Card. Also, purchases may fall outside of the 3 month period in some cases, such as a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the purchase date differs from the date you made the transaction. (For example, if you buy goods online, the purchase date may be the date the goods are shipped). For questions regarding your Card account, please call the number on the back of your Card.
The application page still shows the bonus offer but this quote is no longer mentioned in the T&C. Maybe the offer was expired?
Old May 28, 2014, 3:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Understood. Typically American Express doesn't react early to disparities between published policy and actual practice, but I like to know what might happen when they notice.

The terms don't say that they won't process applications from others, only that they reserve the right to change the account later. I doubt this would impact the first year annual fee waiver, but it could mean losing the 5,000 point bonus for $20,000 spend.
I've had the Ameriprise Platinum since 2011 and I'm not an Ameriprise client. Signed up with the Ameriprise link for the free first year. I've even spoken to CSRs about not being an Ameriprise client over the years and nothing has happened. I still get the 5000 MR bonus every year too.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It hasn't yet hit the major blogs, but this fee-free offer for the Ameriprise AMEX Platinum is a very good deal. It finally convinced me to get one.

http://milestomemories.boardingarea....amex-platinum/
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:58 am

Of course it has... Doctor of Credit has picked it up and even quoted me... (Which I didn't like without being asked first)
Old Jul 9, 2014, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course it has... Doctor of Credit has picked it up and even quoted me... (Which I didn't like without being asked first)
Are you saying Doctor of Credit is a "major blog"?

The deal is getting some buzz in the "minor" blogs, which is where I became aware of it.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:51 pm

Do you write the Free Student Blog? If so, then he was just giving you credit since he saw it on my site and I sourced you. So be mad at me!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:39 am

Is this considered the "same product" as the regular personal platinum card? Would getting this prevent me from getting a personal platinum card with a higher signup bonus (per their new once-per-lifetime policy)?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by milestomemories
Do you write the Free Student Blog? If so, then he was just giving you credit since he saw it on my site and I sourced you. So be mad at me!
Nope. Though I've seen it posted there too.
It's out there on blogs, though I see it being patched with more exposure.

Originally Posted by PimpTheMonkey
Is this considered the "same product" as the regular personal platinum card? Would getting this prevent me from getting a personal platinum card with a higher signup bonus (per their new once-per-lifetime policy)?
Same product? Yes and no.
They know it's an Ameriprise AMEX Platinum.
If the MR is worth it to you, get the higher signup bonus.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:19 pm

When Ameriprise was still part of Amex I had a friend who worked for them doing all sorts of customer analytics. They indicated they had all sorts of high value customer reports that would feed into comp Gold, Plat and Black cards. Lowest level HVC started with a portfolio of at least $100k, I would speculate higher level HVCs are considerably higher.

Would be interesting to hear what actual Ameriprise customers get for targeted offers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.