Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by lardan23
Player 2 just got the Ameriprise Platinum. I got AU cards for myself and both of my kids. I currently have the Biz Plat, but will be cancelling that when AF hits next month.

I do not plan to keep the Player 2 Ameriprise Plat when the first AF hits next year, which will wipe out all the AU also.

Will I be able to apply for the Ameriprise Platinum even though I'm an AU on player 2 card? Also, can I add player 2 as an AU, as well as my kids, again?

This will keep Platinum benefits fee free for 2 years.
Yes. Yes.
Old May 30, 2018, 5:51 pm
MTY

I have an annual fee posting soon for the personal Amex Plat (regular version). I plan to cancel my current card and then apply for the Ameriprise Plat version. Is there a minimum amount of time to wait in between closing the regular and then applying for the Ameriprise? Is there any other risk I should be aware of?

P.S. I have an Everyday and PRG, so my MR balance will be fine.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by MTY
I have an annual fee posting soon for the personal Amex Plat (regular version). I plan to cancel my current card and then apply for the Ameriprise Plat version. Is there a minimum amount of time to wait in between closing the regular and then applying for the Ameriprise? Is there any other risk I should be aware of?

Why not apply before closing the regular?
Old May 30, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by MTY

I'd go with 30 days...so that AMEX doesn't re-open what they consider to be an existing account.

Originally Posted by mysterym
Why not apply before closing the regular?
Because there are recent instances where AMEX now considers the regular Plat and the Ameriprise Plat to be the same card and are thus denying applications when one holds card one and applies for the other.
Old May 31, 2018, 5:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I....there are recent instances where AMEX now considers the regular Plat and the Ameriprise Plat to be the same card ....
Is there more than ONE report?
Old May 31, 2018, 7:55 am

Because there are recent instances where AMEX now considers the regular Plat and the Ameriprise Plat to be the same card and are thus denying applications when one holds card one and applies for the other.
That is news to me. Please provide links to those multiple instances. Thanks.
Old May 31, 2018, 8:17 am

Sorry but I'm not your research team. I don't respond to tasking from random anonymous internet guy.
carlitos and krazykanuck like this.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:50 pm

Sorry but I'm not your research team. I don't respond to tasking from random anonymous internet guy.
Do you respond to relevant questions from moderators like MIA?
Old May 31, 2018, 5:16 pm

LOL

sounds like you don't have anything to backup your statement

just spreading rumors
Old May 31, 2018, 6:05 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by LWT3
.... questions from moderators ....
Moderators are not special. I included a link in my post to the only example that I recall, but it was reported on Reddit, and there may have been others.

It makes sense that internally Ameriprise cards could be coded the same as standard cards, because Ameriprise was once part of American Express, but I would want to see several reports confirming the March policy change.
Old May 31, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Moderators are not special. I included a link in my post to the only example that I recall, but it was reported on Reddit, and there may have been others.

It makes sense that internally Ameriprise cards could be coded the same as standard cards, because Ameriprise was once part of American Express, but I would want to see several reports confirming the March policy change.
I dont have a link but from my memory I remember reading more than one DP about Ameritrade Plat prevents someone received the bonus on a regular Plat. There were also some DPs read from non English site regarding this matter but I cannot remember when so it would be much harder to find them now. But the DPs were out there.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:32 am

I mean just try it out, what's the hurt?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I know people who have both the Amex Plat and the Ameriprise Platinum Amex. I don’t know whether they all got the signup use bonuses or not, but some have this year.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
They are offering me renewal for 55000 Membership points. Is that a good deal ? This will be my third year
for the card. First year was free, second year was $300 credit so $150 net (fee was $450) and now they
are not giving any $ credit but renew it for 55,000 points. I have one dependent card on it and
they are charging $175 for it as well. I plan to cancel dependent card unless it is offered for free. Any thoughts
on how to get the best deal here (my card + dependent card) before I cancel entirely ? I feel that it is worth $200
but not $550 !

Last edited by flyalways; Jun 19, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by flyalways
They are offering me renewal for 55000 Membership points. Is that a good deal ? This will be my third year
for the card. First year was free, second year was $300 credit so $150 net (fee was $450) and now they
are not giving any $ credit but renew it for 55,000 points. I have one dependent card on it and
they are charging $175 for it as well. I plan to cancel dependent card unless it is offered for free. Any thoughts
on how to get the best deal here (my card + dependent card) before I cancel entirely ? I feel that it is worth $200
but not $550 !
i think there is a whole thread for retention offers

i got first year fee waived, second year $450 statement credit, third year 45,000 points, fourth year $200 IIRC, and then finally canceled

paying 55,000 points is a bad deal, amex points are generally valued at 1.2c-1.4c each. do the math

Last edited by mysterym; Jun 19, 2018 at 6:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.