Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
This should register very low on the priority scale, but I noticed that my metal Ameriprise Plat Amex doesn't have the Ameriprise logo on the back, like the plastic card did.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
This should register very low on the priority scale, but I noticed that my metal Ameriprise Plat Amex doesn't have the Ameriprise logo on the back, like the plastic card did.
Doesn't it say it on the front now, right above the four digit security code?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Willbur
Doesn't it say it on the front now, right above the four digit security code?
At least one mine, it does not. No indication at all on the card, one either side.

I wonder if my account got somehow converted to "regular" platinum.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
At least one mine, it does not. No indication at all on the card, one either side.

I wonder if my account got somehow converted to "regular" platinum.
Mine has Ameriprise printed on the front of the card.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
When to Reapply?

How soon after cancelling is it reasonable to get this card again? One month? Two? Just looking for some data points
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGuy10
How soon after cancelling is it reasonable to get this card again? One month? Two? Just looking for some data points
I waited five months and then was approved for my second card.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Is this card eligible for the Amex IAP (International Airline Program)?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Yes, and as far as I can tell, all other benefits.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:43 pm

I was recently approved for the Ameriprise Amex Plat for the second time. Called customer service to add my 3 additional cardholders and was told the fee was NOT waived for the first year. I responded back by citing the exact language from the card offer: "Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards" (language which still appears on the application page as of today) and the rep proceeded to tell me I was wrong. I escalated to a supervisor who said they need to launch an investigation to confirm the benefit...

Has anyone else had this problem? During my first experience with the card I had no issues adding my additional cardholders.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by rjs11
I was recently approved for the Ameriprise Amex Plat for the second time. Called customer service to add my 3 additional cardholders and was told the fee was NOT waived for the first year. I responded back by citing the exact language from the card offer: "Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards" (language which still appears on the application page as of today) and the rep proceeded to tell me I was wrong. I escalated to a supervisor who said they need to launch an investigation to confirm the benefit...

Has anyone else had this problem? During my first experience with the card I had no issues adding my additional cardholders.
I added my 3 supplemental cardholders during the application process. No charge.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by rjs11

I was told the same thing, the $175 fee never hit (I added the cardholders a few months in to holding the card). The CSRs aren't familiar with the Ameriprise Platinum and just mindlessly quote the terms of the regular Platinum card.

I would not push them too much, it would be a shame if they where to shut this sweet deal down.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hi55us
I was told the same thing, the $175 fee never hit (I added the cardholders a few months in to holding the card). The CSRs aren't familiar with the Ameriprise Platinum and just mindlessly quote the terms of the regular Platinum card.

I would not push them too much, it would be a shame if they where to shut this sweet deal down.
I skipped it during the application process figuring I'd just call later on or do it on the Amex website like I've done with all of my other Amex cards.
I was going to get my kids cards so they could get Global Entry for free .

If I don't get a positive answer right off the bat, I won't push it.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I can confirm that it is free despite the chat rep. claiming otherwise (as of July).
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Originally Posted by 747FC
Yes, and as far as I can tell, all other benefits.
Thank you for this info. I persevered and found out the problem was my itinerary was not bookable. After a few tweaks, I got my discount! ^

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...ed-pe-j-7.html
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:52 am

Current holder of the regular personal Platinum card, and would like to cancel the regular card and sign up for the Ameriprise version to take advantage of the $0 annual fee for the first year.

Any suggestion of whether I should cancel the regular Platinum card first and then sign up for the Ameriprise version, or sign up for the Ameriprise version first and then cancel the regular version?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.