Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by bernardcyc
Current holder of the regular personal Platinum card, and would like to cancel the regular card and sign up for the Ameriprise version to take advantage of the $0 annual fee for the first year.

Any suggestion of whether I should cancel the regular Platinum card first and then sign up for the Ameriprise version, or sign up for the Ameriprise version first and then cancel the regular version?

Thanks!
don't forget that annual fees are no longer refunded on a pro-rated basis...
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by mysterym
don't forget that annual fees are no longer refunded on a pro-rated basis...
Yes, I have a few more days to cancel the regular version to receive a full refund. Just thinking if I should apply for the Ameriprise version before or after I cancel.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:05 pm

Yes, I have a few more days to cancel the regular version to receive a full refund. Just thinking if I should apply for the Ameriprise version before or after I cancel.
you need at least one active card as to not lose existing MR, make sure you exhausted your benefits otherwise
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:32 pm

you need at least one active card as to not lose existing MR, make sure you exhausted your benefits otherwise
Yes I have the Amex Everyday card. So it seems that there is no particular reason to cancel the regular version before or after applying for the Ameriprise version?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:33 pm

Hello everyone,

I read this thread, and I think I understand how this card operates, but I would like to get confirmation from the experts here.

First of all, I never had Ameriprise Platinum, or regular Platinum, personal or business versions.

I'm interested in International Airline Program, as well as Marriott gold via SPG gold, and the $200 airline credit. If I'm going to apply for the regular Platinum, I'd rather hold out for the 100k offer to return. I can't get anything but 60k to show up in various incognito mode.

If I apply for the Ameriprise Platinum, will I receive all personal Platinum benefits mentioned above? And when the 100k offer returns for personal Platinum, do I need to cancel Ameriprise card before applying?

Thank you so much in advance!
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:01 pm

Yes I have the Amex Everyday card. So it seems that there is no particular reason to cancel the regular version before or after applying for the Ameriprise version?
Can you think of a reason?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by kip1124
Hello everyone,

I read this thread, and I think I understand how this card operates, but I would like to get confirmation from the experts here.

First of all, I never had Ameriprise Platinum, or regular Platinum, personal or business versions.

I'm interested in International Airline Program, as well as Marriott gold via SPG gold, and the $200 airline credit. If I'm going to apply for the regular Platinum, I'd rather hold out for the 100k offer to return. I can't get anything but 60k to show up in various incognito mode.

If I apply for the Ameriprise Platinum, will I receive all personal Platinum benefits mentioned above? And when the 100k offer returns for personal Platinum, do I need to cancel Ameriprise card before applying?

Thank you so much in advance!
Your questions are easily answered if you read the card benefits on the website and if you read this very thread its been discussed multiple times about folks holding multiple platinum cards of varying versions.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:47 pm

Your questions are easily answered if you read the card benefits on the website and if you read this very thread its been discussed multiple times about folks holding multiple platinum cards of varying versions.
Ah yes, I just found the card benefits on the website. I had to click 'learn more' and the answers were there.

So I'm assuming I can apply for regular Platinum while still holding onto Ameriprise version. Thanks!
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:10 am

I applied for this plat card for the insurance benefits I heard about and I am hoping they are included on this version of the card. We plan on going on some cruises and Amex Plat is supposed to cover emergency medical evacuation and transportation, and repatriation of remains. You do not have to pay for your trip with your Amex card. You get this benefit simply for having the card.

Does anyone know if my spouse can also come into the Delta lounges with me or does he need his own card as AU? Can I also bring my 2 daughters?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Travelz
I applied for this plat card for the insurance benefits I heard about and I am hoping they are included on this version of the card. We plan on going on some cruises and Amex Plat is supposed to cover emergency medical evacuation and transportation, and repatriation of remains. You do not have to pay for your trip with your Amex card. You get this benefit simply for having the card.

Does anyone know if my spouse can also come into the Delta lounges with me or does he need his own card as AU? Can I also bring my 2 daughters?
"Customers with select Platinum American Express credit cards may access Delta Sky Clubs when traveling on a same-day Delta operated flight or Delta marketed WestJet operated flight booked through Delta (tickets starting with the number 006). Does not include Delta SkyMiles co-branded American Express Platinum Card. Platinum American Express cardholders may enter the club with up to two guests for an additional fee."

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-of-terms.html
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Delta policy is to collect a fee for all guests:

Delta Skyclub-- no more free guests, effective 5.1.2014
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
"Customers with select Platinum American Express credit cards may access Delta Sky Clubs when traveling on a same-day Delta operated flight or Delta marketed WestJet operated flight booked through Delta (tickets starting with the number 006). Does not include Delta SkyMiles co-branded American Express Platinum Card. Platinum American Express cardholders may enter the club with up to two guests for an additional fee."

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-of-terms.html
In our experience only the primary card holder gets in for free, the rest have to pay at Delta clubs.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by miadukes
In our experience only the primary card holder gets in for free, the rest have to pay at Delta clubs.
Yes...that's why I highlighted the part about "two guests for an additional fee."
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

The DL lounge fee can be avoided by those individuals with primary or authorized user Platinum Amex cards, but free companion guests for Amex Plat card presenters is long gone.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The DL lounge fee can be avoided by those individuals with primary or authorized user Platinum Amex cards, but free companion guests for Amex Plat card presenters is long gone.
Thanks everyone. It sounds like my spouse and I can get in free since he is an AU on my plat card. What other benefits does an AU get? I know I can transfer MR to my spouses accounts but I am not sure of other benefits and I read through a lot of posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.