Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: Show me the points!
Application pending for that linked offer. We'll see. Anyone else dealt with that?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by nichojo
Application pending for that linked offer. We'll see. Anyone else dealt with that?
My applications always pend now. This one was approved after a few days for me.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
My applications always pend now. This one was approved after a few days for me.
Same, got approved on the 4th or 5th day after the app.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:19 am

American Express Platinum Card - 25K MR bonus - First year fee waived

Through Ameriprise portal - but has been open to everyone based on slickdeals forum. They've added the signup bonus.

** WARNING - There are some complaints that the 25K bonus was not awarded to non-amerprise customers - take a screen shot at sign up**

25,000 MR points with 3K spend within 3mo
$450 annual fee waived first year, plus $0 authorized users for first year (Normally $175)

All the other usual amex plat perks: Perks

PS: I don't have any first hand experience on application for this offer.

Last edited by mia; Jul 24, 2014 at 11:36 am
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Does this card have reimbursement benefit for Global entry just like any other Platinum Amex?

Last edited by ThePointsCollector; Jul 24, 2014 at 7:34 pm
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:30 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector
Does this card have reimbursement benefit for Priority access just like any other Platinum Amex?
Read here:

https://www.ameriprise.com/cash-card...an-express.asp
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by mia
Dope, I meant global entry. Don't know why I typed priority access
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Previous Amex Plat get bonus?

Has anyone recently gotten this card and the 25k MR point bonus who is also a current or previous *personal* Plat Amex cardholder? As per the T&C's, "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had a Platinum Card® account enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program."

I had a Mercedes Benz Plat Amex card, although it was closed over a year ago.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:37 pm

reapply later/now?

So, we all know that Amex no longer gives point bonuses on Personal cards you've had before. The terms of this offer indicate a footnote to this effect for the 25k bonus.

However...let's say you've already "exhausted" Amex personal cards over the years-- it seems to me this card you could get and have all the benefits EXCEPT the 25k bonus points! Just saying for a free first year, the lounge accesses and airline credits may be worth it alone, and I think you'd get those, just not the points for being a prior Platinum Personal card holder.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Also, any idea what is likely to happen post-8/31 for this card? I don't know how standard this is and whether it is likely to be extended.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by teammjs
So, we all know that Amex no longer gives point bonuses on Personal cards you've had before. The terms of this offer indicate a footnote to this effect for the 25k bonus.

However...let's say you've already "exhausted" Amex personal cards over the years-- it seems to me this card you could get and have all the benefits EXCEPT the 25k bonus points! Just saying for a free first year, the lounge accesses and airline credits may be worth it alone, and I think you'd get those, just not the points for being a prior Platinum Personal card holder.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Also, any idea what is likely to happen post-8/31 for this card? I don't know how standard this is and whether it is likely to be extended.
Yeah, I agree with you. Theoretically, if the last day was 8/31, it would be wisest to apply that day, use the airline credits sometime that year, again the following year, and then cancel soon after new years and take your prorated refund. This would equate to $600 in airline credits for probably about $100. Not including the other benefits.. Good deal if you can pull it off.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:08 pm

What's the minimum commitment one can make to become an Ameriprise customer?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by mikey1688
What's the minimum commitment one can make to become an Ameriprise customer?
No idea, but I got the card without being an Ameriprise customer.

Applied online, got approved, card showed up a few days later. I posted about my experience earlier on this thread.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by jaimesh18
Through Ameriprise portal - but has been open to everyone based on slickdeals forum. They've added the signup bonus.

** WARNING - There are some complaints that the 25K bonus was not awarded to non-amerprise customers - take a screen shot at sign up**
I haven't seen any of those complaints, but it's quite possible that I just missed them. I'm curious as to what these people are reporting, so if you can point me in the right direction . . .

The T&C are oddly worded and unlike any other language I've seen in an Amex offer:

"Your ability to have this Card product is contingent on a relationship between you and Ameriprise Financial, Inc. If no relationship exists, or if your relationship with Ameriprise Financial ends, American Express has the right to cancel your Card account or transfer your account to another American Express Card product that will have different features and benefits."

Compare this with the language dealing with the bonus itself:

"Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had a Platinum Card® account enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program."

The T&C do not say that only Ameriprise customers are eligible to obtain the card or eligible for the bonus. It seems that your ability to "have" the card is contingent upon that relationship, and in the absence of that, Amex has the right to cancel or transfer (as opposed to "deny"). It also seems to give you some wiggle room to become a customer after you obtain the card.

And if you are not an Ameriprise customer, or never become one, there is no mention of being ineligible for the points or having them revoked.

My strategy would be to get the card and put on 3k in charges as soon as possible. If you do that before Amex exercises its "right" to transfer or cancel your card, I think you're fine.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:19 am

My wife applied 8/2. Her FICO score is 816 (as per Barclay), solid income, has been an Amex member since 1995, and currently has only one other Amex card (EveryDay) with about 3K in charges each month. Her application is in an "in progress" status. Oddly enough, there has yet to be a hard pull for this application on her credit report. I'm wondering if Amex is verifying whether she is an Ameriprise client before putting her application through.

Last edited by MrMoonlight; Aug 5, 2014 at 4:25 am
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:27 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MrMoonlight
My wife applied 8/2. Her FICO score is 816 (as per Barclay), solid income, has been an Amex member since 1995, and currently has only one other Amex card (EveryDay) with about 3K in charges each month. Her application is in an "in progress" status. Oddly enough, there has yet to be a hard pull for this application on her credit report. I'm wondering if Amex is verifying whether she is an Ameriprise client before putting her application through.
I am not an Ameriprise client and was recently approved. The app was "pending review," I then received an email saying I was approved less than a week later (no call from me).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.